The Student Room Group

What feminism truly means...

Lately, I've seen a lot of threads bashing feminism and claiming that it doesn't belong in modern society and that feminists are 'stupid'. However, I feel that most people's idea of what feminism actually means is very skewed.
Firstly, feminism is NOT about hating on men. Feminism is against sexism and therefore 'man hating'' is the opposite of its focus. Women who do this are not feminists, they're extremists, even if they claim to be a feminist. Period.
Secondly, whilst feminists believe in equality of the sexes, there is also the understanding that men and women are biologically different. Yes, your average man is stronger than the average woman. This is an indisputable fact.
Feminism believes in equal opportunities, if a woman wants to go out and get a career and maybe do things that are considered 'manly', then she should be able to. Free from discrimination or gender stereotyping. The same goes for any man. Also, feminism is not exclusive to women. Sexism happens against men all the time and it's just as wrong as sexism against women.
Tbh, I thought most of these things were common sense, but clearly they aren't. I feel like this needed to be said as there are probably a lot of feminists on TSR who feel offended by current posters bashing them. Anyways, hopefully someone learns something from this post.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hollystar
Lately, I've seen a lot of threads bashing feminism and claiming that it doesn't belong in modern society and that feminists are 'stupid'. However, I feel that most people's idea of what feminism actually means is very skewed.
Firstly, feminism is NOT about hating on men. Feminism is against sexism and therefore 'man hating'' is the opposite of its focus. Women who do this are not feminists, they're extremists, even if they claim to be a feminist. Period.
Secondly, whilst feminists believe in equality of the sexes, there is also the understanding that men and women are biologically different. Yes, your average man is stronger than the average woman. This is an indisputable fact.
Feminism believes in equal opportunities, if a woman wants to go out and get a career and maybe do things that are considered 'manly', then she should be able to. Free from discrimination or gender stereotyping. The same goes for any man. Also, feminism is not exclusive to women. Sexism happens against men all the time and it's just as wrong as sexism against women.
Tbh, I thought most of these things were common sense, but clearly they aren't. I feel like this needed to be said as there are probably a lot of feminists on TSR who feel offended by current posters bashing them. Anyways, hopefully someone learns something from this post.

Seems like a no true Scotsman fallacy tbh.

Finally, someone who makes sense. I thought the same, but I was starting to think I was wrong
I see assertions and no argument.
If feminism was about equality it wouldn't be called feminism - the name itself sounds biased.
Reply 5
Both sides are equally as ridiculous these days tbh. Pankhurst would bitch-slap so many of these modern feminists.
Reply 7
Original post by BioStudentx
If feminism was about equality it wouldn't be called feminism - the name itself sounds biased.

It's called 'feminism' because females experience the most discrimination. It's still about equality, if men were excluded from this then who would women aim to be equal to? I'm not going to quote statistics at you, you can look those up yourself.
It's called 'feminism' because females experience the most discrimination. It's still about equality, if men were excluded from this then who would women aim to be equal to? I'm not going to quote statistics at you, you can look those up yourself.

Yep, the truth is coming out now - feminists don't care about anyone but themselves.
Original post by Arkasia
Both sides are equally as ridiculous these days tbh. Pankhurst would bitch-slap so many of these modern feminists.

It's feminist myth making that makes us even think Pankhurst was good. She was a bigot and a terrorist.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1542248/Suffragettes-were-like-al-Qaeda.html
we have been over this a million times tsr!!!!!!!
Reply 11
Yep, the truth is coming out now - feminists don't care about anyone but themselves.

Stating a fact doesn't make me selfish, I clearly said that it was inclusive.
Reply 12

Would you honestly argue that men are more oppressed than women? Besides, it's pretty widely acknowledged by feminists that men also suffer from sexist beliefs.
Original post by KingStannis
It's feminist myth making that makes us even think Pankhurst was good. She was a bigot and a terrorist.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1542248/Suffragettes-were-like-al-Qaeda.html

Oh by all means, her militant nature in activism was less than tasteful, but at least her cause was a worthy one. Fighting for women to receive equal treatment and to receive the vote is far more worthy than ostracizing men who have been falsely accused of rape, or campaigning to get Page 3 removed.
Original post by adorbat
Would you honestly argue that men are more oppressed than women? Besides, it's pretty widely acknowledged by feminists that men also suffer from sexist beliefs.

Neither in the UK are oppressed. Feminists just want to cry about nothing.
Reply 15
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
we have been over this a million times tsr!!!!!!!

I know, it's kinda sad how some people still don't understand the word feminist :rolleyes:
Original post by Harriett071
Isn't it obvious that men and women cannot be 'equal.' Both sexes are better at different things, it's a known fact that the majority of men are stronger than women and obviously its women who have the ability to have children. So to use equal and imply the 'same' is incorrect. At the end of the day the use of only women candidates for a seat in a constituency is ridiculous, that's what's discriminatory. People need to accept that men and women will never be equal, we are DIFFERENT and thus why should a man and woman be paid the same for work on a building site, if the man can lift more goods? Why should they be paid the same for the same job, if he has more experience and can bring more to the table. The world isn't black and white and quite frankly all of this FEMINism needs to calm its s**t, and yes I am in fact a woman.

Marry me please?
Reply 17
Original post by Harriett071
Isn't it obvious that men and women cannot be 'equal.' Both sexes are better at different things, it's a known fact that the majority of men are stronger than women and obviously its women who have the ability to have children. So to use equal and imply the 'same' is incorrect. At the end of the day the use of only women candidates for a seat in a constituency is ridiculous, that's what's discriminatory. People need to accept that men and women will never be equal, we are DIFFERENT and thus why should a man and woman be paid the same for work on a building site, if the man can lift more goods? Why should they be paid the same for the same job, if he has more experience and can bring more to the table. The world isn't black and white and quite frankly all of this FEMINism needs to calm its s**t, and yes I am in fact a woman.

Maybe if you read my original post, you will see that I did actually state that it is acknowledged that men and women are different. I even said men are generally stronger than women. It doesn't mean that men are always stronger than women though and if they can do the job just as well why shouldn't they get paid the same? Generally speaking, men will find it easier to work on a building site due to the heavy lifting involved. It doesn't mean women can't do it if they want to aswell.
Original post by Arkasia
Oh by all means, her militant nature in activism was less than tasteful, but at least her cause was a worthy one. Fighting for women to receive equal treatment and to receive the vote is far more worthy than ostracizing men who have been falsely accused of rape, or campaigning to get Page 3 removed.

Well, middle class women anyway.
Reply 19
Neither in the UK are oppressed. Feminists just want to cry about nothing.

I never mentioned the UK. You don't have to look far though, to see cases of inequality that are downright scary, such as FGM, which very much does occur in the UK. Additionally, there are many cases in which men are discriminated against, such as child custody, that feminists are also protesting; somehow I doubt that you would call that "nothing".

Quick Reply

Latest