The Student Room Group

seven months into uni i have realised that i am not interested in economics or

studying for that matter. my parents had really high hopes from me and i did extremely well in high school. i also feel that i made a mistake by enrolling in such a competitive university. all my fellow indians also think of me as a failure who went to uni abroad just because i couldn't get into unis in my own country. however, this is not the case . i also get along really well with western people rather than my countrymen and am yet to come across an indian whom i got along with. i feel that i have to prove all of my countrymen wrong by doing the best but have very little motivation in life. i have taken to bad habits like drinking and smoking which won't help me in the long run but re surely helping me for now.
Just about everything in this world is interesting. It's just about tweaking your mindset.

why do you want to undo 7 months worth of economics? Wouldn't you rather finish what you started?
Reply 2
but i feel that i wouldn't get a stellar grade, hence it would be difficult for me to secure a job or go in for a masters and it would just be a waste of money.
Original post by DiceTheSlice
Just about everything in this world is interesting. It's just about tweaking your mindset.

why do you want to undo 7 months worth of economics? Wouldn't you rather finish what you started?
You don't need good grades to excel career wise.

Leaving your course is essentially a waste of money and value whereas completing your course may "waste" your money but it has more value than zilich
You don't need good grades to excel career wise.

Leaving your course is essentially a waste of money and value whereas completing your course may "waste" your money but it has more value than zilich

No, actually you're completely wrong. Studying something you're not interested in is a complete and utter waste of time and money. You only get one chance at life and wasting one second of it is a terrible decision.
Original post by Wahrheit
No, actually you're completely wrong. Studying something you're not interested in is a complete and utter waste of time and money. You only get one chance at life and wasting one second of it is a terrible decision.

Difference in opinion I suppose. I've done things I never really wanted and as shocked as it is i still reap some benefits out of it. Maybe not financially but spiritually/emotionally or sometjing.
Difference in opinion I suppose. I've done things I never really wanted and as shocked as it is i still reap some benefits out of it. Maybe not financially but spiritually/emotionally or sometjing.

Yeah but sometimes something can be so unbearable you can't carry on. If you're on a downward spiral, getting more and more depressed, it's not worth it. I speak from experience here.
Yeah I hate studying but just about get by because you gotta do something, somehow.
Yeah but sometimes something can be so unbearable you can't carry on. If you're on a downward spiral, getting more and more depressed, it's not worth it. I speak from experience here.

But then if you can't earn any money, won't you just get even more depressed? Imagine 10 years from now having money issues or feeling hopeless because of no job or social prestige? Or stuck on 20k when you are 40 with kids? Unless you are really ego-less. I dunno.
Original post by ZolaCFC25
But then if you can't earn any money, won't you just get even more depressed? Imagine 10 years from now having money issues or feeling hopeless because of no job or social prestige? Or stuck on 20k when you are 40 with kids? Unless you are really ego-less. I dunno.

Well not really, I switched from Warwick Maths to UCL Economics...
Well not really, I switched from Warwick Maths to UCL Economics...

Thought you said you lost interest in studying altogether...

Besides, having your motivation to 'prove your countrymen wrong' is not really that healthy a life goal, but maybe that's more an Indian culture thing idk. Are you an international student?
(edited 9 years ago)

Besides, having your motivation to 'prove your countrymen wrong' is not really that healthy a life goal, but maybe that's more an Indian culture thing idk. Are you an international student?

You've mixed this poster up with the OP.
Reply 12
this .
Reply 13
so what if i get really bad grades and scrape through college? wouldn't it lead me nowhere? btw i am an international student .

As other poster said, you've mixed me up with OP
As other poster said, you've mixed me up with OP

yeah my bad, ceebs to remedy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending