The Student Room Group

Please help me! Serious teacher problems...

Ok, so, I don't want to sound moany but I have had serious problems with my Philosophy and Ethics teacher for the past two years.
He hasn't finished the course yet, he's incredibly mean (i.e. making students cry, making fun of my dyslexia etc.), and what he has taught us, he hasn't taught properly. He insits on only looking at the original texts, doesn't give us any notes or guidelines on what the subject content it, he doesn't use the titles for essays that will be given in the exam.
I am really panicking, because, although I am planning to teach myself what is in the textbook and revision guides, every time I do this he writes messages on my work like "This is just over-simplifications written in the textbook that you have regurgitated, re-write with my ideas".
I really do not know what to do, as I have no real indication of what marks my essays would be getting in the exam....
Any advice would be appreciated x
Reply 1
As for the actual education side, the textbook thing sounds good...have you considered getting a tutor or going to see another philosophy teacher during free time (if available) to talk to about things like course structure and marking points etc.? That would get you potentially more helpful tips and pointers

If your teacher is that bad, I'd recommend taking it up to a member of a senior leardership team or equivalent...like the head of year/sixth form/deputy head or even head. We had a problem like that with a physics teacher...she was a decent person but really not that good a teacher and we eventually got people to sit in her lessons and the issue got sorted out :smile: good luck :biggrin:
Sounds like your teacher is a sadist.
Reply 3
Original post by hassansheikh
Sounds like your teacher is a sadist.

He's just an absolute t**t
Reply 4
Original post by IZadi
As for the actual education side, the textbook thing sounds good...have you considered getting a tutor or going to see another philosophy teacher during free time (if available) to talk to about things like course structure and marking points etc.? That would get you potentially more helpful tips and pointers

If your teacher is that bad, I'd recommend taking it up to a member of a senior leardership team or equivalent...like the head of year/sixth form/deputy head or even head. We had a problem like that with a physics teacher...she was a decent person but really not that good a teacher and we eventually got people to sit in her lessons and the issue got sorted out :smile: good luck :biggrin:

yeah, we have tried that, their reaction was basically "you've told us too late for us to help". Good idea though, thanks so much, I might go and see if I can get the other teacher to mark my essays, could prove to be an interesting conversation ...
Reply 5
Original post by Kat_Cuss
yeah, we have tried that, their reaction was basically "you've told us too late for us to help". Good idea though, thanks so much, I might go and see if I can get the other teacher to mark my essays, could prove to be an interesting conversation ...

Oh wow your teachers sound fun :/

Haha, hope the other teacher helps and that it gets better for you guys then X)
If hes specifically, picking on you because of your dyslexia then bring that specfic point up with any other teacher, their supposed to take disability discrimination seriously. That teacher should really not be in that job

Quick Reply

Latest