The Student Room Group

Five Rejections

Anyone else got rejected by all 5 choices? Have you applied through extra or are you waiting for clearing? What have you applied for?
I applied for creative writing/drama joint honours at Cardiff Met, Bath Spa, Liverpool John Moores, West England, and Manchester Met and I'm just waiting to hear back from my extra choice which is Derby.
I hope I'm not alone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Update: rejected by Derby, applied to De Montfort as my second extra choice, I hope I'm not alone with all this bad luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hollyvee
Update: rejected by Derby, applied to De Montfort as my second extra choice, I hope I'm not alone with all this bad luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry you have had this experience. It must be very difficult to remain positive. What you really should do is to obtain feedback from the places which have rejected you so you can see what it is that is holding you back. It could be something like a missing qualification or other oversight, or there may be some aspect of your application which needs working on maybe for next year. Don't remain in the dark. Good luck.
Reply 3
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I'm sorry you have had this experience. It must be very difficult to remain positive. What you really should do is to obtain feedback from the places which have rejected you so you can see what it is that is holding you back. It could be something like a missing qualification or other oversight, or there may be some aspect of your application which needs working on maybe for next year. Don't remain in the dark. Good luck.

I've got the points and qualifications but they "prefer" alternatives. I've heard that my application was good and would succeed as a uni student, but there are other applicants with these preferred qualifications that are making the cut and not me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some important points to think about :

Drama is an incredibly competitive course because they are usually few places compared to say, English. This means you have less chance of getting an offer, regardless of how 'good' you think you are.

What quals do you have that they didnt fancy much? Could you do something else (A levels?) in a gap-year?

Could you apply through Extra for a different subject? Its likely that anywhere offering Drama will now be 'full' and not making any more offers.

Try and work out what was wrong with your application - was it really just the qualifications? Or does your PS need some work - did it for instance talk about 'acting' rather than 'studying drama as an academic subject'? This is an important difference as far as Unis are concerned.
Reply 5
Did you call Derby and de Montfort to see if they had spaces for your course before you sent it off

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by r-t
Did you call Derby and de Montfort to see if they had spaces for your course before you sent it off

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did yeah, De Montfort have been in touch and said I'll take 10 working days to get back to me with a decision

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by sydneybridge
Some important points to think about :

Drama is an incredibly competitive course because they are usually few places compared to say, English. This means you have less chance of getting an offer, regardless of how 'good' you think you are.

What quals do you have that they didnt fancy much? Could you do something else (A levels?) in a gap-year?

Could you apply through Extra for a different subject? Its likely that anywhere offering Drama will now be 'full' and not making any more offers.

Try and work out what was wrong with your application - was it really just the qualifications? Or does your PS need some work - did it for instance talk about 'acting' rather than 'studying drama as an academic subject'? This is an important difference as far as Unis are concerned.

I have the UCAS points needed but not the specific grades they wanted. I've had feedback from my application saying that it was the grades that brought me down, but my overall application was strong and showed a clear interest in studying drama.
I am actually on a gap year and I hate every second of it so taking another gap year is something I want to avoid as much as possible. I'm considering applying for film studies? There's not much else I am good at or have any interest for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't do a degree just for the sake of doing a degree, you'll end up regretting it.
Reply 9
Original post by kingoftheting
Don't do a degree just for the sake of doing a degree, you'll end up regretting it.

I've thought about this before, like I really want to go to uni for the course it's something I've wanted to study for a long time, I guess the fact that it'll give me something to do and I'll be a long way from home is a bonus really haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you dont have the grades then it IS worth retaking if you want this badly enough.
Reply 11
If you dont have the grades then it IS worth retaking if you want this badly enough.

I want to avoid retaking two years of a BTEC that's only offered at one college in my area, and I have certain reasons not to return to that college. I don't have English lit or lang at A-level - the course says its preferred not required, and there was no room in my timetable at college to study it - if I did the a level online would that perhaps get me in next year, even with my bare minimum BTEC grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What an incredibly selfish thing to hope for.
First of all, from comments like 'it'll give me something to do' it sounds like you dont understand what a University course actually is, or that it is academic - that it involves a great deal of hard 'book' study. This is why all Universities set minimum requirement for entry, why they want high predicted grades, and why they prefer A levels - because they know that unless you can achieve this you will struggle with the course. A degree is not 'BTEC but at a bigger college', it a totally different qualification at a much higher intellectual level.

Secondly, if you arent actually prepared to take another year to do the required qualifications (A Levels) to give yourself the best shot at getting place then clearly you are just playing at this and have no real academic ambition at all. Unless you are prepared to put in the hard graft now you wont get a place - no matter how hard you stamp foot or think 'how unfair' it is.

Your comments above clearly suggest that you didnt do enough research before applying this year - ie. if Unis state specific grades in both GCSE and Level 3 quals (A Levels, BTEC) that is what they want, not just total points. It may annoy you that your BTEC isnt seen as entirely suitable for Uni entrance for this course and they want other quals as well - tough, they are calling the shots and you will not change their mind by complaining.

Bottom line is that if you do actually want to go to Uni to study then you will have to get other/more relevant quals and with higher predicted grades than you have at present. That will involve another year at college at least. And if you havnt got enough patience or ambition to do this, then I suggest you think of something else other than going to Uni.
(edited 9 years ago)
What I would have recommended was at the start of the year to do English lit or lang especially as that is preferred. It is too late now to study the whole a level and the costs to sit privately will be very expensive now. If you really want this and don't get in this year then I would recommend a gap year whilst studying the subject as a private candidate
foundation year?
Reply 16
Original post by Hollyvee
I did yeah, De Montfort have been in touch and said I'll take 10 working days to get back to me with a decision

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you get an offer from them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
First of all, from comments like 'it'll give me something to do' it sounds like you dont understand what a University course actually is, or that it is academic - that it involves a great deal of hard 'book' study. This is why all Universities set minimum requirement for entry, why they want high predicted grades, and why they prefer A levels - because they know that unless you can achieve this you will struggle with the course. A degree is not 'BTEC but at a bigger college', it a totally different qualification at a much higher intellectual level.

Secondly, if you arent actually prepared to take another year to do the required qualifications (A Levels) to give yourself the best shot at getting place then clearly you are just playing at this and have no real academic ambition at all. Unless you are prepared to put in the hard graft now you wont get a place - no matter how hard you stamp foot or think 'how unfair' it is.

Your comments above clearly suggest that you didnt do enough research before applying this year - ie. if Unis state specific grades in both GCSE and Level 3 quals (A Levels, BTEC) that is what they want, not just total points. It may annoy you that your BTEC isnt seen as entirely suitable for Uni entrance for this course and they want other quals as well - tough, they are calling the shots and you will not change their mind by complaining.

Bottom line is that if you do actually want to go to Uni to study then you will have to get other/more relevant quals and with higher predicted grades than you have at present. That will involve another year at college at least. And if you havnt got enough patience or ambition to do this, then I suggest you think of something else other than going to Uni.

Couldn't put this better myself! Completely agree with everything mentioned above.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending