The Student Room Group

How can I stop spending money on crap?

Everytime I see something cute or pretty I buy it. It's usually little things that are like £1-4 and I just think, well it's only £2 why not, but it all builds up.

I just can't stop myself.
I feel like I really need these things and then a week later, I've lost it or forgotten about it.
It's a real problem, I need helping sorting out my finances.

Anyone have any suggestions??
The first step to solving a problem is recognising it, so well done on that! :smile: You're already on your way there!

Would you say this is something like impulse buying? Although this will be hard, I guess one way to stop yourself from buying these things for certain is to refrain from landing yourself in the situation by avoiding going shopping for a while - go cold turkey (besides food shopping, you're going to need that!) until this feeling of needing these things dies down.

Another method would be to only visit the shopping centres with just enough money for one particular thing such as a hat, a bag, a piece of clothing etc. Even if you can't resist and give in to buying the cute little things, you'll probably sooner regret it because then you will leave feeling bummed that you couldn't afford to buy what you went there to buy. If the money's not there, then you can't buy it! So then next time round, hopefully you'll end up buying what you truly intended to and if you get the urge to buy something cute on impulse then you literally won't be able to afford it because you've carefully limited yourself like this.

You'll have to make extra effort to avoid cash machines and the sort...where possible, if you think that will be a problem, could you just take in-hand cash rather than a card? That might help.

Best of luck with solving this bad habit!
I've found the best way to be smart with your money is to have motivation to save. If there is something you really want (a holiday, new car, bag etc.), just think about that every time you're about to spend money on *anything* and try to decide if you really need it. If you have enough willpower, the money will soon add up and you'll want to keep saving and so on. Even put a picture of the thing you want in your wallet (sounds sily but it works!). If you don't have anything in mind, just put the money aside every time you're tempted to spend it on something that isn't absoluately necessary. Trust me you will be grateful once you have some savings to hand :smile:

My boyfriend is the same as you though. He buys things all the time that he doesn't need (just little things like drinks/gum/socks) but it really does all add up to a lot over a period of time. Then he always wonders why I have way more money than him, haha! I try to avoid carrying cash with me as it always ends up being spent so don't take money for the sake of it. If I look in my purse and it's empty it seems as though I have no money even though I have plenty in my bank account.
Try writing down every single thing you spend for a week. Take it seriously, if you haven't got time to write it down, you don't need it badly enough.

I use YNAB to track my spending. I've managed to half my personal spends, most of that was impulse purchases too.

Try replacing the habit of buying something to feel good with something else that makes you feel good.
Original post by Rick Deckard
Try writing down every single thing you spend for a week. Take it seriously, if you haven't got time to write it down, you don't need it badly enough.

I use YNAB to track my spending. I've managed to half my personal spends, most of that was impulse purchases too.

Try replacing the habit of buying something to feel good with something else that makes you feel good.

Definitely gonna try this. I think looking back every week and seeing how much I've spent and what on would completely put me off spending!
Original post by Kayleighw27
I've found the best way to be smart with your money is to have motivation to save. If there is something you really want (a holiday, new car, bag etc.), just think about that every time you're about to spend money on *anything* and try to decide if you really need it. If you have enough willpower, the money will soon add up and you'll want to keep saving and so on. Even put a picture of the thing you want in your wallet (sounds sily but it works!). If you don't have anything in mind, just put the money aside every time you're tempted to spend it on something that isn't absoluately necessary. Trust me you will be grateful once you have some savings to hand :smile:

My boyfriend is the same as you though. He buys things all the time that he doesn't need (just little things like drinks/gum/socks) but it really does all add up to a lot over a period of time. Then he always wonders why I have way more money than him, haha! I try to avoid carrying cash with me as it always ends up being spent so don't take money for the sake of it. If I look in my purse and it's empty it seems as though I have no money even though I have plenty in my bank account.

That's completely true. I'm currently saving for a holiday with a boyfriend, but what I've noticed is that as long as I have enough money in my savings for that holiday, I just spend everything else on ****! I'm trying to save up for a deposit for accommodation at Uni next year too which I'll need as soon as I get an offer (scary) but again, once I have that money, everything else I spend.

Such a hassle, I just need to sort myself out a little haha!

That's so true, I never have cash on me, but my card is always on me and I just wave it around and buy anything and everything anyway, and GOD online shopping is the WORST. It's honestly the devil.
So you are an impulse buyer. Solution - don't put yourself in temptations way. Don't go to the shops.

Find other things to do when you're not working. Walk, read, dance, feed ducks .....

When you have to go to the shops to buy food, only take the money you need for the items you're going to buy. Give yourself a time target so you can't just wander around looking at things.

The reward will be seeing the money mount up.
Reply 7
Everytime you feel like buying something small, make a note of it rather than buying it.

Your list of savings will soon add up and help motivate you to keep saving

Even better would be to take out cash, which acts as a budget limit to what you can spend. It's much harder to spend cash than card transactions as you physically see your money going.

For small cash spends.. If you have £5 in your pocket and think "I want to buy a coffee" then immediately put that money into a piggy bank.
At the end of a month, see how much you've saved. I'm sure you'll be surprised!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by soanonymous
That's completely true. I'm currently saving for a holiday with a boyfriend, but what I've noticed is that as long as I have enough money in my savings for that holiday, I just spend everything else on ****! I'm trying to save up for a deposit for accommodation at Uni next year too which I'll need as soon as I get an offer (scary) but again, once I have that money, everything else I spend.

Such a hassle, I just need to sort myself out a little haha!

That's so true, I never have cash on me, but my card is always on me and I just wave it around and buy anything and everything anyway, and GOD online shopping is the WORST. It's honestly the devil.

set up a savings account if you don't have one already and set up a standing order/direct debit (can never remember what the difference is) for the excess savings to go into that account so you cant touch them as easily
Do you actually know where all you money goes? I, for example, draw out £20 on a Tuesday. That £20 is cinema, food and train fare for Wednesday. (and sometimes a drink)
Original post by OU Student
Do you actually know where all you money goes? I, for example, draw out £20 on a Tuesday. That £20 is cinema, food and train fare for Wednesday. (and sometimes a drink)

Well yeah obviously I do, I always scroll through amazon, I end up buying nail polish, or blenders or just random things like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending