The Student Room Group

Scared to learn to drive

Hi, i am 17, been so for 6 months, parents and siblings have constantly encouraged me to start learning to drive, i reply that i can't be bothered.

But actually, i really want to drive; the only issue i have with going to college is the damn travel to/from.. but for one of the first times in my life, i am not worried, pre-cautious or skeptical, i am scared. Scared to drive.

Of course it is natural, i haven't had a single lesson but i honestly feel that i cannot and will not be able to drive . it's not just the fright of injury or hospitalisation, but also the costs and inconveniences of repairs..

Can anyone spare some advice? I can't tell my parents i'm "scared" to drive, i just sound pathetic.

Cheers, Andrew.
I always have this mentality that if old people can do something I can too.

Just go for it and don't give up after the first 10 lessons it'll take time and get as much private practise as you can
That's understandable.

During my first few lessons I was also very hesitant and 'scared' of the unexpected and the roads itself because it can have many idiot drivers...

My instructor also said to me that it's normal to be scared of roads when learning to drive, and that he'd be surprised if a learner wasn't.

You get more confident the more you drive, so I'd advise to just go for it, what bad can happen?
I wasn't necessarily scared, but was very nervous about starting my lessons. Just decided one day to force myself to book it, and after the first lesson I realised it was fun :smile: You've got a qualified instructor looking after you, you'll come to no harm.
Reply 4
It's normal to be nervous to some extent, but if you're physically responding then you shouldn't be driving a vehicle to be fair, you're just a nervous wreck waiting to mess up (could be fatal). You need to think about it and how it's apart of everyday life and admit the fact that you possess the will to do it, just face your fears and get it done. There's nothing holding you back, why skip on a opportunity because you doubt yourself to do a task the most simple moron can achieve (I know some). You can do it, just stay focused and acknowledge that you can drive and that you will drive.
I recently began driving lessons and I still get nervous about it but what I always remeber is that driving is seen in films, books and old people can do it with ease. I find this helps me a lot. Once you start driving, you start to enjoy it and its easier than riding a bike as you don't need to balance!

Hope this helps :smile:
It's safe, the instructor can just dual break or use the wheel to save you from a catastrophe. I had been dual braked loads. Although a funny story is my mate crashed and his instructor actually **** himself lol!
Original post by Bobjim12
Hi, i am 17, been so for 6 months, parents and siblings have constantly encouraged me to start learning to drive, i reply that i can't be bothered.

But actually, i really want to drive; the only issue i have with going to college is the damn travel to/from.. but for one of the first times in my life, i am not worried, pre-cautious or skeptical, i am scared. Scared to drive.

Of course it is natural, i haven't had a single lesson but i honestly feel that i cannot and will not be able to drive . it's not just the fright of injury or hospitalisation, but also the costs and inconveniences of repairs..

Can anyone spare some advice? I can't tell my parents i'm "scared" to drive, i just sound pathetic.

Cheers, Andrew.

You will be able to! Everyone starts off completely clueless and learns along the way. I'm a very worried type of person and was always scared before lessons but that fades with time. Remember when you learn, your instructor will be able to control the car if you can't and will keep you safe :smile:
Why don't you try having a lesson and see how you feel after it?
It's normal/natural to feel scared to learn at first. You should just book it and see what happens. You never know, you might surprise yourself :biggrin: :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Thank you all for your replies!

I think now i was being a little paranoid XD. Now i feel a lot more assured, going to book my first lesson after my last exam!

Thanks again!
Original post by Bobjim12
Thank you all for your replies!

I think now i was being a little paranoid XD. Now i feel a lot more assured, going to book my first lesson after my last exam!

Thanks again!

Your welcome :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending