The Student Room Group

Dealing with being lonely

Ok this going to be one of my more pathetic posts; I'm 18 and I've never had a boyfriend. I don't technically see this as bad but I do find myself feeling lonely sometimes especially when I'm trying to get to sleep. Normally I can rationalise it by saying I don't need some guy hanging around me anyway. But if it's late and I'm just trying to clear my head so I can sleep its really horrible. I was just wondering if anyone knew how I could push it out of my mind.
Get a bf...

Or just tell yourself that you'll get one when the time is right
Reply 2
Original post by bittr n swt
Get a bf...

Or just tell yourself that you'll get one when the time is right

Lol if it were that simple this thread wouldn't exist.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Ok this going to be one of my more pathetic posts; I'm 18 and I've never had a boyfriend. I don't technically see this as bad but I do find myself feeling lonely sometimes especially when I'm trying to get to sleep. Normally I can rationalise it by saying I don't need some guy hanging around me anyway. But if it's late and I'm just trying to clear my head so I can sleep its really horrible. I was just wondering if anyone knew how I could push it out of my mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am 18 as well and i am in a same situation as you. I do feel really lonely sometimes. I distract myself. YouTube and manga helps me alot.
Lol if it were that simple this thread wouldn't exist.

Wait till you get to uni it's 10x easier
Reply 5
Original post by pagorai
Posted from TSR Mobile

I am 18 as well and i am in a same situation as you. I do feel really lonely sometimes. I distract myself. YouTube and manga helps me alot.

That works before I go to bed. But times like now it's all that's on my mind. I just don't want to go another 5 years and still have the same problem.
Reply 6
Original post by bittr n swt
Wait till you get to uni it's 10x easier

I'm in uni :/
Stop feeling sorry for yourself and take responsibility for your dating life. Have you approached men or at least made yourself approachable to guys?
Reply 8
Stop feeling sorry for yourself and take responsibility for your dating life. Have you approached men or at least made yourself approachable to guys?

This is my #1 problem. I get told a lot I appear kind of hostile and awkward; I don't mean to do it, I just am. Sometimes I get approached but I'm astoundingly shut at talking to people I don't know.
18 is still pretty young - you might be partially misinterpreting your feelings as loneliness when they might (again, partially) be just a general sense of unhappiness/dissatisfaction that you get from seeing other people in seemingly happy relationships and from the general trend in society for people to start this relationship stuff during their early/mid-teens. I think this is quite normal, I'm pretty sure a lot of people have experienced this before to some extent.

Regarding the loneliness, I think the best solution is just to keep busy - you're 18, so I'm guessing you're gonna probably go to university next year or in the near future. Find hobbies and develop interests in things, pick up new skills (e.g. cooking, photography, musical instruments, programming), go to the gym, focus on working on yourself and improving yourself - it'll take your mind off the fact that you don't have a boyfriend, and it'll be a really good investment in your own future and put you in a great position to start playing the dating game at university. Also, spend time with family and friends who you really care about and enjoy hanging out with - I think it'd be a good idea to talk to your friends about feeling lonely, they might well be going through the same thing and will probably be able to help you out.

It's really inconvenient to have to rely heavily on others for your own contentment, so I don't think the solution to this is to go out and get a boyfriend asap. I think working on yourself is really the best thing you can do - you'll find that you'll have less time to sit around and feel lonely because you'll be too busy thinking about all the cool challenging things that you're doing and you'll get a lot of satisfaction. Plus, when someone comes along who you wouldn't mind dating, you'd be 10x more attractive if you've got your own hobbies and interests and things going on

Every girl has experienced this feeling at some point in their life. You just have to become confident in yourself, and not thinking of all the reasons why you haven't got a boyfriend. I only had my first proper boyfriend when I was 17, and when we split up I was heartbroken. But honestly, I'm 19 now and single and I love it. I've had small flings with a couple of guys and chatted to guys, but I've never wanted it to go anywhere yet. Boys can be stressful at times, and a lot of girls could do without that stress haha! Just enjoy being young, you only get to do it once x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending