The Student Room Group

Every guy I fall for is already taken

I started uni last September and I liked one guy, turns out he is engaged to his girlfriend of 3 years. I liked another guy, he is in a long term relationship with a girl abroad, I liked a third guy, already has a girlfriend, and so on.. it makes me really glad I didn't go and ask them out as I would've ended up so embarrassed and it would've been very awkward. I've just stayed single for months now because I've just given up hoping a guy I like will actually be single for once. Not only that, the girlfriends most of these guys have are so pretty, it makes me see all the flaws in myself and makes me really insecure, I feel like I won't be good enough for any of them.

Does anybody ever get these feelings? What do you do?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
the girlfriends most of these guys have are so pretty, it makes me see all the flaws in myself and makes me really insecure, I feel like I won't be good enough for any of them.

I can't really relate to you on the first aspect of your worry as I've never had a boyfriend and have never bothered to check if a boy I like is with someone and just instantly switch off my feelings because I know I would get rejected from them anyway because I also feel insecure. I'm choice Chubby and quite hairy for a girl and whenever I see pretty girls I constantly find myself comparing myself to them and why I can't have their features etc. I suppose you just have to remember that there is someone who will love you for you. I don't believe in the whole "there's a soulmate for everyone" idea but I do believe that despite being insecure that there is a boy I will be good enough for one day. I suppose I'm glad I'm not pretty because then it makes a boy like me for me and not my looks. You are good enough for anyone, just carry on and if you don't meet someone in uni then there's always dating websites etc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I started uni last September and I liked one guy, turns out he is engaged to his girlfriend of 3 years. I liked another guy, he is in a long term relationship with a girl abroad, I liked a third guy, already has a girlfriend, and so on.. it makes me really glad I didn't go and ask them out as I would've ended up so embarrassed and it would've been very awkward. I've just stayed single for months now because I've just given up hoping a guy I like will actually be single for once. Not only that, the girlfriends most of these guys have are so pretty, it makes me see all the flaws in myself and makes me really insecure, I feel like I won't be good enough for any of them.

I feel like this all the time. The guy I like is already in a long term relationship and his girlfriend is so pretty. I'm still friends with him even though he knows I like him. I try not to compare myself with his girlfriend because that just makes me feel insecure and jealous. So all I can say is to not compare yourself to these girls, or compare yourself to anyone.
Good job uni is a massive ocean! Keep plugging away. PS freshers/first couple of weeks of the uni year is a good time.

Well, I'm single, and desperate as, so...if you wanna...ya know:colondollar:
You will just have to settle with the rejects such as myself :fyi:
Original post by r-t
I'm choice Chubby and quite hairy for a girl and whenever I see pretty girls I constantly find myself comparing myself to them and why I can't have their features etc.

I promise, I swear down I'm not trying to be mean. But you said it right there and then. If by "choice chubby" you mean overweight there is a simple fix for that called watching what you eat and getting exercise. If you're hairy where you don't want to be (a common affliction) just use some hair removal cream or a razor? Taking pride in personal appearance is not something to look down upon. Ok some people (Emma Watson, Cheryl Cole) they just got good genetics but it's not hard to make yourself look half decent if you put some effort in.
Reply 7
Original post by liquid funk
I promise, I swear down I'm not trying to be mean. But you said it right there and then. If by "choice chubby" you mean overweight there is a simple fix for that called watching what you eat and getting exercise. If you're hairy where you don't want to be (a common affliction) just use some hair removal cream or a razor? Taking pride in personal appearance is not something to look down upon. Ok some people (Emma Watson, Cheryl Cole) they just got good genetics but it's not hard to make yourself look half decent if you put some effort in.

I meant quite chubby not choice chubby, auto correct must have changed it. I know its down to me eating crap but that's just how I am and I have tried several yoyo diets but obviously they never work in the long-term and I am working at trying to lose weight. I do use a razor but I don't like how the hairs grow back and I get really bad reactions to hair removal creams but I will probably wax in the future. its just quite expensive if I want to get it professionally (which I do) and I don't want to scrounge off my parents for it until I have a job and can pay for it myself.
Reply 8
Original post by r-t
I meant quite chubby not choice chubby, auto correct must have changed it. I know its down to me eating crap but that's just how I am and I have tried several yoyo diets but obviously they never work in the long-term and I am working at trying to lose weight. I do use a razor but I don't like how the hairs grow back and I get really bad reactions to hair removal creams but I will probably wax in the future. its just quite expensive if I want to get it professionally (which I do) and I don't want to scrounge off my parents for it until I have a job and can pay for it myself.

Hey, OP here. Honestly, I don't think the hair thing is even bad, I see loads of girls at uni, including some of my own friends with hair on their arms, it's common and I don't think it's a turn off either as some do have boyfriends. Personally though, I've just always gotten rid of body hair at a young age, it's something I've always done so I just feel weird and like I've missed something if I don't get rid of hair.

I used to diet a lot in my first year of college, but most of these diets don't work so slowly I cut down on junk food about a year ago and now I just don't eat it, maybe once a month I'll eat chocolate but I stay well away from crisps, cakes, drinks etc. I ALWAYS make sure I drink 2-3L of water as it contains 0 calories, it's free or cheap so there's no excuse really.

With regards to working out, I used to hate running outside so I just joined a gym last summer instead and would mostly spent time on the elliptical machines, treadmills and rowing machines. My membership ran out and I didn't feel like renewing so I bought an exercise bike about a year ago too. It's literally in my bedroom so I can easily use it every night for about an hour, going at my own pace watching a movie, listening to music or whatever, and with nobody watching me whilst I'm a hot, sweaty mess. If I can do it, so can you. :smile::tongue:
Reply 9
Hey, OP here. Honestly, I don't think the hair thing is even bad, I see loads of girls at uni, including some of my own friends with hair on their arms, it's common and I don't think it's a turn off either as some do have boyfriends. Personally though, I've just always gotten rid of body hair at a young age, it's something I've always done so I just feel weird and like I've missed something if I don't get rid of hair.

I used to diet a lot in my first year of college, but most of these diets don't work so slowly I cut down on junk food about a year ago and now I just don't eat it, maybe once a month I'll eat chocolate but I stay well away from crisps, cakes, drinks etc. I ALWAYS make sure I drink 2-3L of water as it contains 0 calories, it's free or cheap so there's no excuse really.

With regards to working out, I used to hate running outside so I just joined a gym last summer instead and would mostly spent time on the elliptical machines, treadmills and rowing machines. My membership ran out and I didn't feel like renewing so I bought an exercise bike about a year ago too. It's literally in my bedroom so I can easily use it every night for about an hour, going at my own pace watching a movie, listening to music or whatever, and with nobody watching me whilst I'm a hot, sweaty mess. If I can do it, so can you. :smile::tongue:

how do you manage to eat junk food only once a month? for me it has to be once a week otherwise i'll just feel so grumpy haha. I suppose because im Asian my hair grows back really quick so after a while its jut like whats the point :/ I used to go to the gym aswell but I just didn't like the atmosphere of it and they never had treadmills available which was just frustrating. it just sounds like im making excuses haha. I am planning to join the gym at whatever university I go to in September because I would prefer exercising with people my own age as motivation and heard it is apparently much cheaper than general public gyms.
Guys with gf's are almost always going to be brewing with a healthy dose of confidence.
Original post by r-t
how do you manage to eat junk food only once a month? for me it has to be once a week otherwise i'll just feel so grumpy haha. I suppose because im Asian my hair grows back really quick so after a while its jut like whats the point :/ I used to go to the gym aswell but I just didn't like the atmosphere of it and they never had treadmills available which was just frustrating. it just sounds like im making excuses haha. I am planning to join the gym at whatever university I go to in September because I would prefer exercising with people my own age as motivation and heard it is apparently much cheaper than general public gyms.

Oh don't even get me started on how much I loved junk food haha. In high school I would HAVE to eat junk food every single day without fail, I'd eat it out of boredom, when I felt stressed, I'd find any reason I could. I started writing down everything I ate each day so I could see what was going into my body. I then cut down slowly by only allowing myself to eat ONE piece of junk food a day. I did that for about a month, then slowly only ate it once a week, followed by once a month. The thing with sugary foods is that once you stop eating them, your body starts craving them like CRAZY until you satisfy the cravings, I found it so, so hard.. I'd feel really sluggish, irritated etc but you just have to say no and distract yourself, after a week or two, the sugar cravings go and you're no longer as dependent on junk as you initially were.

Seriously, you'll get the hang of it, I know all those excuses because I would make them myself :colondollar:. The reason I didn't renew my gym membership was because my gym was absolutely tiny, loads of the equipment needed repairing, bad environment and such which is why I went and bought an exercise bike so I can exercise in my own room lol. You could even buy dumbbells, jumping ropes etc and you can do both cardio and resistance training in peace and make your own routines.. all that haha. Oh dear, this response is a lot longer than I expected it to be. Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 12
Oh don't even get me started on how much I loved junk food haha. In high school I would HAVE to eat junk food every single day without fail, I'd eat it out of boredom, when I felt stressed, I'd find any reason I could. I started writing down everything I ate each day so I could see what was going into my body. I then cut down slowly by only allowing myself to eat ONE piece of junk food a day. I did that for about a month, then slowly only ate it once a week, followed by once a month. The thing with sugary foods is that once you stop eating them, your body starts craving them like CRAZY until you satisfy the cravings, I found it so, so hard.. I'd feel really sluggish, irritated etc but you just have to say no and distract yourself, after a week or two, the sugar cravings go and you're no longer as dependent on junk as you initially were.

Seriously, you'll get the hang of it, I know all those excuses because I would make them myself :colondollar:. The reason I didn't renew my gym membership was because my gym was absolutely tiny, loads of the equipment needed repairing, bad environment and such which is why I went and bought an exercise bike so I can exercise in my own room lol. You could even buy dumbbells, jumping ropes etc and you can do both cardio and resistance training in peace and make your own routines.. all that haha. Oh dear, this response is a lot longer than I expected it to be. Hope this helps. :smile:

yeh it does help, I sometimes get carried away aswell. this post is turning into a health fitness post rather than a relationship post haha. wow you used to eat junk food everyday but still managed to turn your life around. this gives me hope :smile: but how do you distract yourself because that is my main problem. If I have something to do then I wont think about food as much but if I have nothing to do or if im revising then I want to eat on the side and then afterwards I end up feeling guilty. and I try eating healthy but I just hate waiting for the results to show and the cravings become too much so I just end up procrastinating :/ need to stop self loathing!
Original post by r-t
yeh it does help, I sometimes get carried away aswell. this post is turning into a health fitness post rather than a relationship post haha. wow you used to eat junk food everyday but still managed to turn your life around. this gives me hope :smile: but how do you distract yourself because that is my main problem. If I have something to do then I wont think about food as much but if I have nothing to do or if im revising then I want to eat on the side and then afterwards I end up feeling guilty. and I try eating healthy but I just hate waiting for the results to show and the cravings become too much so I just end up procrastinating :/ need to stop self loathing!

Haha about the post thing I was thinking the same.. hey at least we turned a somewhat negative post into something positive! I used to fail a lot at first, as in some days I would just NEED junk food as I had avoided most foods for so long so I'd just eat loads of junk and feel sick and guilty afterwards, those feelings stopped me eating loads of junk at once as I knew I'd feel like crap afterwards for giving in to my cravings.

When I want to distract myself, I would go and revise, my mind would be occupied on whatever I was revising so I wouldn't be able to think about junk food. I'd also chew gum whilst revising which would get rid of the cravings sometimes. Sometimes, I'd just go and make a big cup of coffee, the taste is bitter so it got rid of the sweet cravings. Hmm.. oh and I used to watch tv shows where I'd think 'wow I wish I had her figure' and if I was watching those shows, there was no way I would reach for junk as I wouldn't be able to get that figure if I was going to continuously eat large amounts of junk food. You could also just go use a treadmill or bike if you have one in the house whilst listening to music.. makes the workout fun and you forget about sweet things. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending