The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh for Bio Med.....but 4 years and no placement option?????

I want to choose Edinburgh as my Firm for Bio Med (By some amazing stroke of luck I also have Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle and Bath as options), but it's a 4 year course with no placement option. Help!
Original post by sow38
I want to choose Edinburgh as my Firm for Bio Med (By some amazing stroke of luck I also have Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle and Bath as options), but it's a 4 year course with no placement option. Help!

How can we help? Choose one of the other options. The course is the most important thing, and this one doesn't offer what you are looking for.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Wow - where were you and your clarity over the weekend while we were sat with head in hands!
Original post by sow38
Wow - where were you and your clarity over the weekend while we were sat with head in hands!

What exactly do you want help with? How can we advise you? You have asked for help, but haven't phrased it as a question we can answer. There is no way of creating a placement year in the Edinburgh course, so you will have to decide whether the course takes precedence over the place, and the advice is always to choose the course.
(edited 9 years ago)
Are you absolutely positive?

The website doesn't explain much/anything regarding placement for my course (architecture) but during the applicant day it was detailed that placement was an option semester 2 of third year into semester 1 of fourth year. Something I didn't previously know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Ghughes92
Are you absolutely positive?

The website doesn't explain much/anything regarding placement for my course (architecture) but during the applicant day it was detailed that placement was an option semester 2 of third year into semester 1 of fourth year. Something I didn't previously know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks - you're right, it doesn't. The only thought we're having is that if we are able to add a placement year to the existing four years - it becomes five; which is a rather long slog. I know, it sounds like we want to have our cake and eat it, but the first year at Edinburgh has a reputation of being a make-ready foundation year - and it's therefore been suggested that one option is to skip it and go straight into Yr2. Needless to say, there are then those who subscribe to the belief that missing Fresher's year is a mistake because you lose the initial friendship-making period. Ho hum!
Original post by sow38
Thanks - you're right, it doesn't. The only thought we're having is that if we are able to add a placement year to the existing four years - it becomes five; which is a rather long slog. I know, it sounds like we want to have our cake and eat it, but the first year at Edinburgh has a reputation of being a make-ready foundation year - and it's therefore been suggested that one option is to skip it and go straight into Yr2. Needless to say, there are then those who subscribe to the belief that missing Fresher's year is a mistake because you lose the initial friendship-making period. Ho hum!

It would be worth contacting the course head and asking directly what the deal is I reckon.

And yea that's generally what Scottish Uni's do, 4 years instead of 3 with the first being fairly similar to a foundation year down south. Amoungst other reasons it's partly because Scottish Highers (or whatever they call them now) aren't quite on the same level as an A-level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending