The Student Room Group

My teacher never picks me to answers Qs

Good example,
Our class got our tests back, and i got consideribly higher than every one else (but still missed quite a few Qs). My teacher was going through each question and asking EVERYONE except me in the class. He does this alot, im starting to feel leftout. So, then i try to confuse everyone, for example shout out to the teacher than you can use the sinrule to work out the missing side in a right angle, g is 9.8 instead of -9.8, or tell the teacher that his line isnt straight (techincally you cant draw line free hand). Or tell the teacher his left a full stop at the end of a sentence on a powerpoint. I dont do work in class and i disturb and distract people (when the teacher ask someone a Q, whisper the incorrect answer).I also gave my teacher an M6 Q to do as a joke and he failed.

What should i do?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Firstly, your response to the teacher not picking you is pretty childish, but you're still in school and you are therefore a child. It's a behaviour that is to be expected by a child that wants attention. We were all that age once and we all wanted some attention, regardless of how many people will state otherwise.

Secondly, your teacher is the cause of this. Your teacher should strive to create an inclusive environment for all abilities from those who are struggling to those who are excelling. If the teacher didn't want you answering those questions because they felt you were capable why not give you and one or two others a worksheet to do during the lesson to push your abilities even further? This is what should be happening. The teacher should be differentiating the work they set in the classroom.

If this keeps happening I'd go to the head of department and explain you don't feel included in the lesson and may as well not turn up because of it. Explain you feel the need to dumb yourself down or act up to feel heard and that you either want to be included more in the class activity, regardless of your ability, or that you want separate work to be given to you and others in the group excelling, to ensure you're making the most of the time available to you.
Original post by Huskaris

Someone deserves to be ignored because the teacher is incompetent and can't differentiate the work they set in the classroom? Teachers are selective with who they get to answer questions these days. If the OP feels they're purposely not being included in lessons based on ability then the OP is right to complain. The teacher should be differentiating work on ability within the classroom environment to ensure students of all levels are being challenged. If this isn't happening then the teacher isn't creating an inclusive environment and is actually harming the progress of this particular student.
Woah, everyone seems to be having a massive go at OP. Personally, I can understand OPs point because something similar happens to me. Just have a quick word with the teacher and tell him what you think and if it would be possible to get some challenging questions your way. Or, just put your hand up when he asks a question to the floor. It can be frustrating to be dismissed if you are seen as the most intelligent so you have the right to complain. Honestly, it's the teachers fault and if you see it as an issue, then go and fix it.

Though can I just say, they way you reacted to him not asking you questions is outrageous. Don't be silly about it and try get revenge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Europhile
Someone deserves to be ignored because the teacher is incompetent and can't differentiate the work they set in the classroom? Teachers are selective with who they get to answer questions these days. If the OP feels they're purposely not being included in lessons based on ability then the OP is right to complain. The teacher should be differentiating work on ability within the classroom environment to ensure students of all levels are being challenged. If this isn't happening then the teacher isn't creating an inclusive environment and is actually harming the progress of this particular student.

Yes, the OP is right to complain.
Original post by Huskaris
Yes, the OP is right to complain. The OP is not right to be a disruptive little bitch.

The OP is a child being ignored by an adult who is supposed to be a professional teacher creating an inclusive environment. The reason the OP is being disruptive is because the teacher is incompetent and is failing to cater for all abilities in the classroom. The only person to blame is the teacher.
Original post by uberteknik

But in case you don't know why:

Deliberate and disruptive behaviour
Deliberately undermining the teachers authority
Deliberately undermining the confidence of less able students
Attention seeking

All of which stems from the teacher failing to create an inclusive environment. The teacher would soon complain if this student stopped attending classes and would probably use it against the student in the event that they missed their target grades. The teacher could easily nip this in the bud by giving the more able students worksheets to do that'll challenge them. Instead the teacher has allowed this situation to arise. The teacher is at fault.
The OP is a child being ignored by an adult who is supposed to be a professional teacher creating an inclusive environment. The reason the OP is being disruptive is because the teacher is incompetent and is failing to cater for all abilities in the classroom. The only person to blame is the teacher.

Im 16 y/o
they call me "a young adult"
I do love it though, my friends laugh with me.
i love sitting in the classroom, chilling, while looking at everyone fail miserably, and laugh at them.
All of which stems from the teacher failing to create an inclusive environment. The teacher would soon complain if this student stopped attending classes and would probably use it against the student in the event that they missed their target grades. The teacher could easily nip this in the bud by giving the more able students worksheets to do that'll challenge them. Instead the teacher has allowed this situation to arise. The teacher is at fault.

For someone who self professes intelligence, you are not demonstrating it with obtuse behaviour.

Disrupting the class for everyone else and undermining the teacher is not the way to resolve this and you damned well know it.

If you have an issue with it, discuss it with your head of year.
Reply 10
Europhile is right that it is originally the teacher's fault.
However the way in which OP responded to it lacks in maturity, and he's not justified to disrupt the class. If he was not happy with it, he should have had a discussion with the teacher or head of department. He has the right to take an action on the teacher but he is not justified to disrupt the learning for the rest of the class.
And his attitude is disgusting. Enjoying and laughing at other's failure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Green ranger
I do love it though, my friends laugh with me.
i love sitting in the classroom, chilling, while looking at everyone fail miserably, and laugh at them.

As I said, troll.
For someone who self professes intelligence, you are not demonstrating it with obtuse behaviour.

True, but regardless of what the OP or anyone else here believes the OP is still a child and one that wants to learn. When that learning process becomes interrupted by an incompetent person they're going to act out in some manner. Is the OP acting in the right way about this? No, but its easy and clear to see why they're doing so. If someone was sitting in and observing the lesson the teacher would be asked why this child is not being included. Dealing with arrogant students in the classroom is all about classroom management. Some schools deal with children like the OP by sending them out which is of no benefit either. Its usually a kop out by the teacher as they dont want to provide a real solution. Its far easier to send a student out or to student support than to differentiate work accordingly.

Disrupting the class for everyone else and undermining the teacher is not the way to resolve this and you damned well know it.

No one is suggesting it is the way to go but this is the teachers fault. You're attacking the weed rather than the root. His behaviour stems from the teacher not creating an inclusive environment.
Original post by C0balt

However the way in which OP responded to it lacks in maturity, and he's not justified to disrupt the class.

He's a child. What do you expect? Teenagers are usually sticking things to people, shouting banter across the room and making daft comments that make teachers cringe. It's ridiculous to expect maturity in this situation from a child. Those that do act in a mature manner in situations like this are exhibiting self awareness skills and an understanding far beyond their actual age.

Also, at times in school, you'll find that the settled 16 year olds who think they know it all and are the kings of the school are more immature than the newly arrived year 7's who are still skeptical of their new surroundings and are unwilling to be as outspoken and make a complete fool of themselves.
an inclusive environment.

Inclusive environment my foot, it's the kid's parents who haven't taught him to behave like a regular, empathetic person instead of a total arse who are at fault.
Original post by StrangeBanana
Inclusive environment my foot, it's the kid's parents who haven't taught him to behave like a regular, empathetic person instead of a total arse who are at fault.

Why should the OP be empathetic of the teachers needs when the teacher is totally ignoring his needs? The teacher is the professional adult here who should be creating an inclusive environment, not the OP. The OP is a child with the mentality of one. Also, without more information such as the OP doing this in other lessons or being a brat at home you have no substance to your claims that bad parenting has led to this. What has led to this, according to the information that has been presented, is bad teaching. If a teacher ignored a Pakistani girl because she didn't want to differentiate her teaching methods to cater for her due to language barriers and the Pakistani girl kept shouting out words to try and feel involved in the lesson, would you then blame the Pakistani girl? Non inclusion based on ability is wrong. Non inclusion based on race, religion or any other factor is wrong. Non inclusion based on the fact you think a child is a bit of a brat is also wrong. It is unprofessional to not create an inclusive environment.
Original post by StrangeBanana
im not a kid, im 16 y/o. "A young adult" they say
Original post by Green ranger
Im 16 y/o
they call me "a young adult"

A 16-year-old is not a 'young adult'. a 25-year-old is a 'young adult'.

Before birth: fetus
0-3m: infant
3m-12m: baby
12m-3yr: toddler
3yr-11yr: young child
11yr-16yr: child
16yr-20yr: teenager
(18yr/)20yr-29yr: young adult
30yr-40yr: adult
40yr-60yr: middle-age adult
60yr-80yr: elderly person
80yr-100yr: Madonna
100yr-150yr: fossil
150yr and above: Cher
This is why they should reinstate corporal punishment :rolleyes:
Reply 19
He's a child. What do you expect? Teenagers are usually sticking things to people, shouting banter across the room and making daft comments that make teachers cringe. It's ridiculous to expect maturity in this situation from a child. Those that do act in a mature manner in situations like this are exhibiting self awareness skills and an understanding far beyond their actual age.

Also, at times in school, you'll find that the settled 16 year olds who think they know it all and are the kings of the school are more immature than the newly arrived year 7's who are still skeptical of their new surroundings and are unwilling to be as outspoken and make a complete fool of themselves.

I would expect the same degree of sensibility as a 16 year old myself.
Well, thank you for the indirect compliment then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest