The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

HenvY
but i'm already at college lol, wouldn't it be better to just ask there?
Oh right, yeah, ask your college then :smile:
Reply 41
mechanics is so much better than stats. i do mechanics in further maths and stats in A2 maths and stats is alot wrse. but i suppose it depends on you :smile:
Tobosh
mechanics is so much better than stats. i do mechanics in further maths and stats in A2 maths and stats is alot wrse. but i suppose it depends on you :smile:

well, i still dont know, everyone keeps telling me how hard mechanics is and i dont enjoy physics at all :s-smilie:
Reply 43
its to do with physics ... but its more maths. eg if something is moving one way, friction will be the other way. wen i started i hadnt done any physics and alot of people in my class did. they knew the equations but the equations are in the book so u dnt need to learn them u jus need to be good at algebra.

again its up to you

:smile:
Reply 44
If you don't like physics - mechanics will do one of two things for you:

a) make you hate physics even more
b) show you a much more mathematical side of physics than the physics that you do at GCSE/AS, which may get you to at least appreciate mechanics

You don't have to be good at physics to do well in the maths mechanics though since quite obviously it is a maths exam not a physics exam. One of my mates got A's in both M1 and M2 and she didnt do any of the sciences (by which I mean Biology, Chemistry, Physics) past GCSE. Like Tobosh said, you just need to be good at algebra. If you're good at algebra, mechanics shouldn't be too much trouble :smile:
Reply 45
tldevil
i did maths A level in a year. C1 C2 S1 were fine. M1 is kind of different as it is like learning a different language but its fine. C3 and C4 tooks lots of practice.

basically as long as you practise past papers and work hard, it will be fine.

Looking at your results...I was wondering, to get 100/100 module marks, do you neccessarily need to do a perfect paper? Or does UMS push your marks up...For example if you lost 1 mark on a question, would you still have 100/100 overall? Surely UMS must push marks up because a lot of people seem to get lots of full mark modules!
MarcD
Looking at your results...I was wondering, to get 100/100 module marks, do you neccessarily need to do a perfect paper? Or does UMS push your marks up...For example if you lost 1 mark on a question, would you still have 100/100 overall? Surely UMS must push marks up because a lot of people seem to get lots of full mark modules!
For Maths, you'll most likely need 100% raw marks to get 100% UMS marks (perhaps you can drop 1 mark with the A2 units, not sure tbh). This is simply because Maths has definite answers, there isn't any 'suggest' questions like you sometimes get in Sciences. But if it was oddly difficult, then no doubt there'd be some scaling up...
Reply 47
avsbabes
For Maths, you'll most likely need 100% raw marks to get 100% UMS marks (perhaps you can drop 1 mark with the A2 units, not sure tbh). This is simply because Maths has definite answers, there isn't any 'suggest' questions like you sometimes get in Sciences. But if it was oddly difficult, then no doubt there'd be some scaling up...

Yeah....thinking about it I remember the test (C1 at least) being around 2 pages, so there isn't exactly room for error. I guess it'll just be a case of making sure I know each question type inside out! Thanks!
Having chose the subject....I personally thought what the hell have I let myself in for...but once the course started...with Core 1 starting you off...you actually start to enjoy it...then its Core 2...then its either Mechanics 1 or Stats 1...I did Mech 1...and hated it...but somehow got 64...! Then in the second year...did C3, C4 and S1 (you gota love S1...bought the book a week before the exam...and still ended up with 78/100...!! Overall...ended up with a C in my Maths A-Level...and thoroughly enjoyed it, even though I initially thought I wasn't going to...!

But anyways...GO FOR IT!! :smile: :smile:
a-levels maths has been watered down so much its not even funny. i only got a B at intermediate and i go tan A at A-level, and i didn't do much work just did the homework's like everyone else. maths is all about practice at a-level, uni level is something different :s-smilie::s-smilie:
Dr Shrestha
a-levels maths has been watered down so much its not even funny. i only got a B at intermediate and i go tan A at A-level, and i didn't do much work just did the homework's like everyone else. maths is all about practice at a-level, uni level is something different :s-smilie::s-smilie:

Hm i seen people telling that first year of math course is very similar to further math
well i can speak for UCL, only 1/4 module of first semester is further maths. you think at uni level you will be doing further maths, if that was the case tehn why not enter second year? i mean i think its true for KCL having seen their stuff and in a few lectures. but at UCL its is not.
Reply 52
lol aw i was neg repped for my last post due to my signature. (this was quite a while ago but due to my naivety to this forum i only have just realised)

my neg repping friend, would you care to tell me who you are? just so i can reply to your comment that you left.
Reply 53
are we talking 6 modules here because that would be alot. I mean i know you can learn FM reasonably quickly, but the core stuff is somewhat harder. C3 and c4 then the c/w it is alot for 1 year. If you have the application then go for it.
why do you want to do it in 1 year anyway?
I did the whole OCR MEI Maths A-level Maths in one year. It wasn't that bad, although we did have to finish C4 in about 2 months (which was quite bad, consider not many people in the class understand the stuff) but then I got an A and so did many others, so it is definitely possible.

I am continuing to Further Maths and hope to finish the whole A-level Further Maths in one year, guess this is gonna be much harder tho.
Reply 55
Decision is a cruise apparently - the Maths department at my school refused to teach it - anyone taking it is self study.

OP - it is doable - a friend of mine took the whole A level in july last yr and got a A easily. he did mech.

Out of intrest do people find Mech 3 significantly harder then Mech 2?
I didn't find the M2 exam harder than the M1, infact, I did better in M2, if that helps...
I think if you do Physics, you'll probably find M2 quite straighforward because u would have covered some of the topics in Physics already. Not sure about M3 tho... haven't gone that far yet :p:

Although I am doing S2 as well, which I also find much easier than S1. Basically, it's all about following routines and being able to use your graphics calculator which is not exactly very hard...
Reply 58
i have done D1 as basically self study, apart from ive had a couple of lessons, and a revision day at oxford uni - which was Vhelpfull.

Apart from that it is probbably the easiest of the modules.
Reply 59
that was the approach my school took - you're smart enough to do it yourself. they did a couple of revision lessons the week before I think but thats it.

Latest

Trending

Trending