The Student Room Group

When is a good time to ask my professor for a reference?

I need to ask my professor for a reference because in September I ll be applying for an exchange program. I'm not the best student in his class, but I went to his office hours several times, I would stay after class sometimes to ask him questions, and it's a small class, so he does know that I exist and that I do try.
Anyway, my semester ends on April 13. Is it better to ask him for a reference on the last day (in his office of course) or should I ask him this week? Also, how should I approach him? I've never done this before and I'm rather nervous.
Reply 1
Original post by pyramidgod
I need to ask my professor for a reference because in September I ll be applying for an exchange program. I'm not the best student in his class, but I went to his office hours several times, I would stay after class sometimes to ask him questions, and it's a small class, so he does know that I exist and that I do try.
Anyway, my semester ends on April 13. Is it better to ask him for a reference on the last day (in his office of course) or should I ask him this week? Also, how should I approach him? I've never done this before and I'm rather nervous.

I wouldn't leave it until the last day of semester. If he's available, he's likely to be rushing around dealing with end of semester stuff. If he doesn't have any teaching, he may not even be in that day.

I would deal with it as soon as you can. Don't worry about asking for a reference - this is a standard thing that uni staff do and he will have written many before. If he's OK at answering emails, I'd shoot him an email and ask, offering to meet him to discuss it if he wants to. If he's not that responsive to emails, then just use his next office hours sessions to ask him.

Quick Reply

Latest