The Student Room Group

In year 13 can I apply next year for med?

I'm in year 13 at the moment and I have applied for physics. But somewhere around December I realised I would much rather apply for medicine. I'm studying maths further maths physics and chemistry and I am predicted to get 2-3A*. If I took all of biology in my gap year and applied for 2016 entry would I be at a disadvantage. I want to apply to Leeds,UCl,Birmingham and Manchester.
You would have to be careful with your choice in med schools but I think it could be possible. Scratch UCL and Birmingham off the list though in exchange for Imperial and Glasgow or other unis which don't require biology as having done a 3rd year of A levels will put you at a greater disadvantage tbh
Reply 2
Original post by Helloworld_95
You would have to be careful with your choice in med schools but I think it could be possible. Scratch UCL and Birmingham off the list though in exchange for Imperial and Glasgow or other unis which don't require biology as having done a 3rd year of A levels will put you at a greater disadvantage tbh

It would not be considered a 3rd year of A levels!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by NHSFan
It would not be considerd a 3rd year of A levels!

Depending on the uni it would be, from what I remember some will allow the extra year if it's just for bio and/or chem, or to increase a grade in one subject but most won't. My point was more that the majority of med schools do not require biology when you have other sciences and so his time could be better spent.
Reply 4
Original post by Helloworld_95
Depending on the uni it would be, from what I remember some will allow the extra year if it's just for bio and/or chem, or to increase a grade in one subject but most won't. My point was more that the majority of med schools do not require biology when you have other sciences and so his time could be better spent.

If it were to just achieve an A2 in Biology, I don't believe it would be considered a 3rd year of study. However, as you point out, lots of med schools do not require Biology, and providing he/she has at least AAA by this summer, would be OK academically. If he/she wishes to apply to UCL or Birmingham though, it would be necessary to take it at A2 in a Gap Year and perhaps get a job as a HCA or similar. (Would of course need to contact the relevant universities to check that this would be OK).
Reply 5
Thanks for all the replies. I have emailed UCL and they said I would be considered if I get an A* in chem this year. But I will think about changing Birmingham. Will the UCL medical department know that I applied for physics last year at UCL. And do you guys think that I should tell the truth that I had a big change of heart this December or should I pretend that I have always wanted to apply for medicine to maximise my chances?
Reply 6
Original post by NHSFan
If it were to just achieve an A2 in Biology, I don't believe it would be considered a 3rd year of study. However, as you point out, lots of med schools do not require Biology, and providing he/she has at least AAA by this summer, would be OK academically. If he/she wishes to apply to UCL or Birmingham though, it would be necessary to take it at A2 in a Gap Year and perhaps get a job as a HCA or similar. (Would of course need to contact the relevant universities to check that this would be OK).

What did you mean by HCA? I googled it but all I could find were jobs for graduates
Reply 7
Original post by Saythatagain
What did you mean by HCA? I googled it but all I could find were jobs for graduates

Health Care Assistant. Look at the NHS Jobs website. www.jobs.nhs.uk

That would be great experience to prepare for medicine. However, once you have finished your summer exams, you will need to get shadowing experience with hospital doctors/GPs to assist your application. Maybe join St John's too, if there is a branch near you, you could apply to volunteer.
Original post by Saythatagain
Thanks for all the replies. I have emailed UCL and they said I would be considered if I get an A* in chem this year. But I will think about changing Birmingham. Will the UCL medical department know that I applied for physics last year at UCL. And do you guys think that I should tell the truth that I had a big change of heart this December or should I pretend that I have always wanted to apply for medicine to maximise my chances?

I don't think they would know you applied for physics before. I'd say just avoid the topic of time, they want people who will be good doctors not the ones who've dreamed of it for years. Unless your change of heart came from a story where you learnt a lot about the profession in which case be upfront about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending