The Student Room Group

London is basically the best city in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Out of interest if I went through London on route to another destination how would I know if it were good, bad or indifferent? Properties and landscapes that surround train tracks and main roads are not always the most scenic or the best advert for a place.
London is terrible, crime rate is high, it's overcrowded, it's expensive, it's dirty, it has no green grass or trees and limited parks which are always overcrowded so you can't even do much anyway.

Other cities are much better, they basically give you everything London can give for cheaper.
Original post by jedanselemyia
Really? Me too :smile:
Birmingham is really nice city, especially the center with lots of shops, places to hang out etc
I don't think it's really expensive to live there. The city doesn't get enough love, anyway.

I would love to visit, might go there next summer hols if i get the chance. :h: do you know what course u're planning to take yet ?
Reply 23
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
It feels cold and heartless at times and overall not somewhere I want to spend my long term future.

This is true :frown:
Original post by Chelsea12345
I would love to visit, might go there next summer hols if i get the chance. :h: do you know what course u're planning to take yet ?

I hope you'll go there and appreciate it!! :biggrin:
Yes, International Relations and Economics :smile: and you?
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
it has no green grass or trees and limited parks which are always overcrowded so you can't even do much anyway.

Eh? Not true at all, there's a decent amount of green (Regent's/Hyde Park are the parks closest to me, they're huge). Sure, at noon on a sunny day in the Summer they're going to be busy; pretty much any other time is decent, though, unless you just hate seeing other people when you go out

As for the over-crowding in general: yeah, Oxford Street at Christmas time is hell, but again usually not that bad. I like the business, anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
I hope you'll go there and appreciate it!! :biggrin:
Yes, International Relations and Economics :smile: and you?

Medicine, though its seems quite impossible at the moment. :biggrin:
No city is perfect, everywhere has flaws. Yes London has plenty going on, but it's cripplingly expensive to live there. To many, that's a rather large and offputting obstacle.
London is terrible, crime rate is high, it's overcrowded, it's expensive, it's dirty, it has no green grass or trees and limited parks which are always overcrowded so you can't even do much anyway.

Other cities are much better, they basically give you everything London can give for cheaper.

Career prospects. Certainly in my case.
Reply 29
That should go without saying
Medicine, though its seems quite impossible at the moment. :biggrin:

For this year's entry or later? From what I know, it is a competitive course but why is it impossible? :frown:
For this year's entry or later? From what I know, it is a competitive course but why is it impossible? :frown:

main reason would be getting the requirement grades to actually study it later.
Original post by StrangeBanana
Eh? Not true at all, there's a decent amount of green (Regent's/Hyde Park are the parks closest to me, they're huge). Sure, at noon on a sunny day in the Summer they're going to be busy; pretty much any other time is decent, though, unless you just hate seeing other people when you go out

As for the over-crowding in general: yeah, Oxford Street at Christmas time is hell, but again usually not that bad. I like the business, anyway.

Yeah those are literally the only 2 big/good parks in London, why would you go to the park in winter?

Original post by TurboCretin
Career prospects. Certainly in my case.

Yes you get better wage jobs in London, but actually if you have a good job in another city with a lower wage you can still easily make more due to the ridiculously high living wage in London. So actually it balances it out.

The only way your point is valid are for very very well paid jobs £200k plus a year at least
main reason would be getting the requirement grades to actually study it later.

And you don't have them? :frown:
You can always do a scientific undergraduate degree and apply for graduate Medicine or transfer after a first year?
And you don't have them? :frown:
You can always do a scientific undergraduate degree and apply for graduate Medicine or transfer after a first year?

actually havent done the exams for them yet. i'll keep ur suggestion in mind just in case things dont go to plan. :p:)
Original post by lyrical_lie
I moved to London over 6 months ago and I disagree to some extent. I miss Glasgow because that's where I grew up. I knew where everything is in Glasgow.

My issue with London is everything is so spread out, which compared to Glasgow drives me insane. It takes either 30mins or an hour to get anywhere.

Also I genuinely don't think there's much to do at night that you can't do in any other city. For example my boyfriend came to visit me and it was a weeknight so we didn't want to drink as he had an interview and I had work and we were at a total loss for what to do. I think this might change when I've been here longer as I do enjoy stuff to do during the day like the farmers markets and the museums but there's not a huge amount to do at night that I've found as of yet.

Agree.
actually havent done the exams for them yet. i'll keep ur suggestion in mind just in case things dont go to plan. :p:)

In that case, don't be too pessimistic yet :wink:
Cool! I'm glad I could help :smile:
In that case, don't be too pessimistic yet :wink:
Cool! I'm glad I could help :smile:

hahahaha okay :smile:
Original post by nuraf
Yesterday I had to go to Manchester and whilst going there I passed a few cities up north and just realised how bad the rest of the UK is lol, it's like living in Kyiv or something, it's nothing, it's dull and it boring

London is diverse, exciting, and there's always something to do. It's the best city in the UK and I wouldn't move anywhere else lol

So you went on a train through Stoke on Trent (which is in the midlands not the north by the way) and you're using that to describe everywhere outside London? :curious:

I could make the same generalizations about London based on my recent train journey through Croydon. :lol:
Yeah those are literally the only 2 big/good parks in London, why would you go to the park in winter?

Mate, what are you on about, Richmond is massive

How about you tell us a city which has an "acceptable" amount of green space, and we can compare

Not sure if you're serious with that second bit

Quick Reply

Latest