The Student Room Group

London is basically the best city in the UK

Yesterday I had to go to Manchester and whilst going there I passed a few cities up north and just realised how bad the rest of the UK is lol, it's like living in Kyiv or something, it's nothing, it's dull and it boring

London is diverse, exciting, and there's always something to do. It's the best city in the UK and I wouldn't move anywhere else lol

Scroll to see replies

it guess so. its a great city if one is rich,not so great for the poor. the cost of living there is almost double compared to elsewhere in the uk
Original post by nuraf
Yesterday I had to go to Manchester and whilst going there I passed a few cities up north and just realised how bad the rest of the UK is lol, it's like living in Kyiv or something, it's nothing, it's dull and it boring

London is diverse, exciting, and there's always something to do. It's the best city in the UK and I wouldn't move anywhere else lol

I hate to state the obvious, but you haven't been to every city in the UK, so your post means nothing other than that you like London.

I don't much care for it, myself.
I moved to London over 6 months ago and I disagree to some extent. I miss Glasgow because that's where I grew up. I knew where everything is in Glasgow.

My issue with London is everything is so spread out, which compared to Glasgow drives me insane. It takes either 30mins or an hour to get anywhere.

Also I genuinely don't think there's much to do at night that you can't do in any other city. For example my boyfriend came to visit me and it was a weeknight so we didn't want to drink as he had an interview and I had work and we were at a total loss for what to do. I think this might change when I've been here longer as I do enjoy stuff to do during the day like the farmers markets and the museums but there's not a huge amount to do at night that I've found as of yet.
(edited 9 years ago)
Being more familiar with the Northern cities, what strikes me about London is how polluted, overcrowded and short of green space it is. It's an asthmatic's nightmare. If you like filth and concrete then London is the city for you.
Reply 5
Original post by nuraf
Yesterday I had to go to Manchester and whilst going there I passed a few cities up north and just realised how bad the rest of the UK is lol, it's like living in Kyivor something, it's nothing, it's dull and it boring

:laugh:

London is fun compared to other cities but it still has that 'Kyiv' that you mentioned :lol:
Reply 6
So by travelling through a few places on the train, coach or car you are able to make this assessment?
I love London as well, but to each their own. Some places up north are quite nice.
I can't imagine living anywhere else in the UK
Have you ever been to Birmingham? :smile:
Ofc it is, all of the money goes to London and the South East...
Lived in London for a lot of my life and it has its ups and downs. For one, you find the beet and worst people there in terms of unpleasant people and loyal friends. There's lots to do but only if you money, which I didn't have a lot of.

But alas, youth culture isn't pretty, i feel more lonely in London than anywhere else and I live in a village of 7000 people and the lack of compassion I see in people's eyes bug me. It feels cold and heartless at times and overall not somewhere I want to spend my long term future.

In terms of it being eventful, yes it is but I much prefer a city like Norwich where I feel safe and don't have to watch the action of others as I walk down Oxford street
Also, go visit Leeds, York or Edinburgh one day
lol @ anyone who lives in a city.
Cold people. High crime rate. Unsafe. (Relative) high terror threat. High cost of living. Nah, you can keep London thanks.
It's the only proper city in the UK that is comparable to any metropolitan in the rest of the world. Not that Europe has many.
Original post by jedanselemyia
Have you ever been to Birmingham? :smile:

Why,is it good? i'm planning to have birmigham uni as one of my options so just curious. :smile:
London is more vibrant in a way that there is so much to do, as expected from a capital city. However, it's just too crowded and expensive now for me to actually want to live there; although I most likely will when I graduate..
Original post by Chelsea12345
Why,is it good? i'm planning to have birmigham uni as one of my options so just curious. :smile:

Really? Me too :smile:
Birmingham is really nice city, especially the center with lots of shops, places to hang out etc
I don't think it's really expensive to live there. The city doesn't get enough love, anyway.
Original post by nuraf

"Diverse" - exactly why is this a good thing?
"Exciting" - what makes it more exciting than any other city?

I personally hate London and dread every time I have to go there. Coming from the north, I find London dull, polluted, dirty, crowded, expensive, the people are rude, not very friendly or welcoming. It's also quite intimidating as it doesn't even feel like it's the UK any more, entering London feels like walking into a new country. Of course I haven't visited every part of London but my view of it is not uncommon for people in the north.

Quick Reply

Latest