The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Accomodation for Medicine

Hi everyone!
I've just got an offer for Medicine at St Andrews, and I am looking at applying for accommodation. However, I am looking at all the different places and having a hard time choosing! I know that I would like a catered accommodation, but I can't tell whether it is better to go Andrew Melville or other standard catered accommodations. I definitely prefer the look of the others and how small they are, but are there any Medics from the university that could give me advice?
Thank you!
Original post by Funky Fish
Hi everyone!
I've just got an offer for Medicine at St Andrews, and I am looking at applying for accommodation. However, I am looking at all the different places and having a hard time choosing! I know that I would like a catered accommodation, but I can't tell whether it is better to go Andrew Melville or other standard catered accommodations. I definitely prefer the look of the others and how small they are, but are there any Medics from the university that could give me advice?
Thank you!

It doesn't make a lot of difference. The farthest standard catered accommodation from the Med buildings would be either Sallies or Regs - less than a 20 minute walk (a 10 minute walk from Sallies). Aside from Melville you don't get to pick a specific hall, so if your first two options are Melville and Standard Catered, you still have to pick two other options you'd theoretically be happy with.

If you're looking to be with other medics, you're more likely to find them in the halls closer to the North Haugh, but even still, there are medics in every hall.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by ElizabethRG
It doesn't make a lot of difference. The farthest standard catered accommodation from the Med buildings would be either Sallies or Regs - less than a 20 minute walk (a 10 minute walk from Sallies). Aside from Melville you don't get to pick a specific hall, so if your first two options are Melville and Standard Catered, you still have to pick two other options you'd theoretically be happy with.

If you're looking to be with other medics, you're more likely to find them in the halls closer to the North Haugh, but even still, there are medics in every hall.

Can I specify that I would like to be double ensuite or is that too specific? Also, do they consider your subject when placing you? So since I've applied to medicine, are they likely to place me closer to North Haugh?
Original post by Laurenmarshhh
Can I specify that I would like to be double ensuite or is that too specific? Also, do they consider your subject when placing you? So since I've applied to medicine, are they likely to place me closer to North Haugh?

Double as in shared or double as in a double bed? Only DRA and ABH have double beds, and only ABH has shared ensuite (though I think there might be a few in the catered halls, but not many). You get to specify the general type of accommodation (Catered, Self-catered, ensuite, standard) and then whether you would generally be willing to share or not. You make four choices (out of a possible 5/6 I think) from a drop down menu.

In theory, they say they do, but lots of science students end up in town and arts students near the North Haugh. It's a game of luck, really.
Double as in shared or double as in a double bed? Only DRA and ABH have double beds, and only ABH has shared ensuite (though I think there might be a few in the catered halls, but not many). You get to specify the general type of accommodation (Catered, Self-catered, ensuite, standard) and then whether you would generally be willing to share or not. You make four choices (out of a possible 5/6 I think) from a drop down menu.

In theory, they say they do, but lots of science students end up in town and arts students near the North Haugh. It's a game of luck, really.

I meant double bed. How likely am I to get my first choice?
Original post by Laurenmarshhh
I meant double bed. How likely am I to get my first choice?

Depends. If you want a double bed ensuite, then it's DRA or ABH, which are large halls and not very popular (and mostly self-catered), so you'll probably get one of those if they're your first choice. Most people who have standard catered as their first choice will not get it.
Reply 6
Are any of the halls more sociable than the others?
Original post by maddibel1
Are any of the halls more sociable than the others?

Depends on the year. It's a different group of people each year. Sallies was quite sociable last year but not so much this year. ABH isn't very social simply because there's so many people. Melville apparently has a reputation as a party hall. But mostly it comes down to who ends up in each hall :P
Reply 8
Depends on the year. It's a different group of people each year. Sallies was quite sociable last year but not so much this year. ABH isn't very social simply because there's so many people. Melville apparently has a reputation as a party hall. But mostly it comes down to who ends up in each hall :P

Thank you!
So there's not like one party hall? What's University hall like? Are there hall rivalries or not?
Thank you!
So there's not like one party hall? What's University hall like? Are there hall rivalries or not?

Well, Melville is apparently a major party hall, so I guess that one, but I don't think any hall is really a big party hall. I don't know much about Uni Hall, sorry. I've heard it's a great place to live and it's pretty from the outside and a nice location, but that's all I know.

In theory there are hall rivalries (MacIntosh and Sallies, for example), but they really aren't that intense.
Thank you!

A couple of my friends were in uni hall last year. It's a nice hall, but as it's quite big and separated into different buildings it's harder to get to know people, but it looked like people on the same corridor/floor seemed to be very sociable with each other.

Hall rivalries only really exist in myth - they're fun to joke about & are the basis of 'Clan Warfare' - a 'competition' that's just an excuse to paint your face in hall colours/crest and have a party.

There are medics in every hall, but I was in sallies last year and there were only 4 medics in total (3 of us in 1st year) just because it's such a small hall; the bigger the hall the more medics are likely to live there. If you're in Albany Park or DRA you'll only really mix with the other people in your house/flat though. The medics mix together outside of hall though - we see each other a lot at the med school and at medic parties.

Whether a hall is a 'party hall' totally depends on the people living there that year - all halls will have an element of it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by theresheglows
. If you're in Albany Park or DRA you'll only really mix with the other people in your house/flat though.

Having lived in DRA and with friends who lived in Albany, I don't really think that's true. In DRA I would say you definitely mix with at least all the people in your building. And Albany is pretty damn sociable, they throw a lot of house parties and everyone seems to know everyone else there.

It's definitely a different atmosphere to the "corridor" type halls, but I think it's misleading to say that you'll only mix with the 5/6 people in your flat/house.
Original post by la_banane_verte
Having lived in DRA and with friends who lived in Albany, I don't really think that's true. In DRA I would say you definitely mix with at least all the people in your building. And Albany is pretty damn sociable, they throw a lot of house parties and everyone seems to know everyone else there.

It's definitely a different atmosphere to the "corridor" type halls, but I think it's misleading to say that you'll only mix with the 5/6 people in your flat/house.

Yeah, that was me exaggerating a bit really, I didn't mean that you don't mix with anyone else at all. I actually meant it as a good thing - you can make a really good group of friends with the people in your house/flat in a way that, in some ways, is easier that in traditional halls.

Sounds like you know more about Albany than me, I'm just basing it off people I know who lived in Albany. I've lived in DRA and I think it really depends on the people; in that building no-one really mixed outside of their respective flats. It's also different if you're catered I think as you meet people from other buildings more easily.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending