The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Some serious questions about LSE

And I demand brutally honest answers.

1) LSE100. Objectively, how is the famed [and apparently hated] course?
2) Are the professors approachable? [law in particular]
3) Do the professors really teach well?
4) How is the study atmosphere?
5) How are the exams structured?
6) How hard is it to get a first?
7) Can one get a first without compromising on a good social life?
8) Is LSE's emphasis on "independent learning" really just codeword for "Nobody gives a crap about you"?
9) Is the Student Union effective?
10) Are many students really that irascible and radical about their political views?
11) How is the social life?
12) Is there a generally snobbish attitude towards international students?
13) How competitive does it get?
14) What's with all the "scandals"?
15) LSE has 40 graduate scholarships for only Indians, but not a single undergraduate scholarship for international students. Looking at the fee structure, I can only ask emphatically, WHY?

Any one question, or all. Doesn't matter. But I need answers.

Experiences vary. Attitudes are subjective. I get it. I just really, really want to know what I should expect before I firm [or even consider firming] LSE, because I've heard a lot of things from friends.

I'm sorry if I seem a bit... authoritative. But, you know, big irreversible steps are going to being taken at this stage, so I can't afford to leave any stones unturned.

A decent social life, a good degree, and strong employment prospects. Is this an impossible trinity?
Reply 1
Original post by ChaoticZen

8) Is LSE's emphasis on "independent learning" really just codeword for "Nobody gives a crap about you"?
10) Are many students really that irascible and radical about their political views?
15) LSE has 40 graduate scholarships for only Indians, but not a single undergraduate scholarship for international students. Looking at the fee structure, I can only ask emphatically, WHY?

Experiences vary. Attitudes are subjective. I get it. I just really, really want to know what I should expect before I firm [or even consider firming] LSE, because I've heard a lot of things from friends.

I'm sorry if I seem a bit... authoritative. But, you know, big irreversible steps are going to being taken at this stage, so I can't afford to leave any stones unturned.

A decent social life, a good degree, and strong employment prospects. Is this an impossible trinity?

So I've got an offer this year and I'll have a bash at some of your Qs from what I've heard/gathered about LSE!

1) It seems to be quite a quiet topic but from the current students online apparently its decent and quite broad in nature.
2) Don't know about subject specifics but I've read that language barriers can be a big issue but this depends upon the actual lecturer.
5) I believe exams are in summer...? - look this up on the website for your department?
6) No one can tell you that - it's too relative, does 'hard' answer your question? :O
7) Apparently you have to put in a good effort but with your accommodation 'social life' is an option, + see this link (http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/dec/07/london-school-of-economics-best-university-nightlife)
8) Have heard mixed reviews about this....?
10) Yes, 'quite left' - or at least they are historically speaking, google how 3 days ago some students locked themselves in a building demanding fair pay for LSE employees
11) see 7
12) apparently quite cliquey

I had a bash... Only what I've heard/read as I'm not a current student, try posting on the ask an LSE student thread (if I was you)!

Best of luck with the decision! :biggrin:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Why did you even bother applying to LSE in the first place?

This'll be my longest answer. Really can't tell you how much I hate LSE100. The key ideas of the course are critical thinking, lateral thinking, the ability to research and apply information efficiently, the ability to develop a persuasive argument. These are all skills that are absolutely essential on my degree programme (Government) and that's a similar complaint from anyone studying something like government, law, anthropology, social policy, history, etc etc etc. Anything that's essay based really.

It's hugely frustrating because I'm spending 3 hours a week being taught how to suck eggs, and the fact is that the 'style' of the course is even more basic than my degree programme because, frankly, it's aimed at kids doing A&F, BMS, Straight Econ, Actuarial Sciences etc etc who've never done an essay. I would find the course infinitely more useful if they introduced me to concepts and ways of thinking I wouldn't have encountered during my degree.

Can't speak for law but all my professors are pretty sound and approachable with the exception of an outside module I do in geography.

I think so, to be honest. On the rare occasion that I've struggled with the way a professor has described a concept, the class teachers have followed up really well.

Not sure exactly what you mean by this.

For the overwhelming majority of UG modules, there will be a 3 hour exam in may/June that tends to count for 100% of your module grade (certain modules may have summative work during the year that counts for something but the exam will be worth 50% at least)

75+ = First (considered exceptional)
70-74 = First (considered excellent)
60-69 = 2:1
All of my work thus far (with a ****ty exception) has been graded between 63 and 72. On the occasions that I've got a 2:1 I've never felt as though I didn't know what I needed to improve.

I tend to go out 4 times a week and maybe would more if money grew on trees. Sometimes it's only properly out twice and the rest is just pub drinking until 10 or 11 after an even of some sort. Either way, I think it's easily possible to have a good work/social balance

I think it's codeword for 'act like a f*cking adult' which is a culture shock for many, and it's not right for some. I've always felt like my academic advisor/class tutors are there for support for both academia and personal reasons but ultimately the onus is definitely on the student to 'own' their education and be proactive.

In what regard?

There's not much centrism, and people will def challenge you. I think it's a good thing - it forces you to be more intelligent in the way you think IMO.

A+ no ragerts. I love it.

Ehhhh. Sometimes, but it's because some int students bring it upon themselves by having a ridiculously insular attitudes. If you refuse to associate with people outside your own ethnic/national group I think you should probably expect the piss taken out of you a bit.

In what regard?

I could go on all day, but the real question is how much of an impact do they actually have? Not much, I don't think. Graduate employers certainly don't seem to give a **** anyway.

No idea to be honest mate.

I can answer your last question--the Indian students who even consider doing their UG abroad tend to be from rich families who can afford it anyway. Far more Indian students from all backgrounds do their PG abroad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Audi

I had a bash... Only what I've heard/read as I'm not a current student, try posting on the ask an LSE student thread (if I was you)!

Best of luck with the decision! :biggrin:

Thanks for your input! I'll try doing that. :smile:

Original post by JamjamjamT
Why did you even bother applying to LSE in the first place?

I had a different impression of it, initially. The public lectures were an immense plus and its high international student composition was a bit more preferable. I also thought that the quality of education would be much better, given its reputation, and I also that I could freely discuss things with the professors. Honestly, the academic side of things isn't much of a bother for me; I just hope that I'd be able to interact with people instead of skulking around in the library. I'm not saying that I don't hold it in high regard anymore. Just, some perspective was needed.

Original post by StretfordEnd

In what regard?

In what regard?

I've heard a lot of things about the SU making promises that they couldn't really keep. And how incredibly annoying it gets during elections. And for competitiveness, I'm talking both in terms of academics and graduate employment. People jokingly say that the only thing that matters in the third year is getting more internship offers than your mate.

But thanks for everything else, it was really helpful! :biggrin:
I think everything boils down to what I make of my experience there, and I really like a good intellectual challenge. Sucks to see that LSE100 wasn't everything it's cracked up to be, though.

Original post by sellerofdreams
I can answer your last question--the Indian students who even consider doing their UG abroad tend to be from rich families who can afford it anyway. Far more Indian students from all backgrounds do their PG abroad.

Indeed, that might be true for most courses. But for a degree in law, with the intent of getting into the industry soon, it doesn't really make sense to do PG in the first place. So, UG at full international fees for me.
Thanks for your input! I'll try doing that. :smile:

I had a different impression of it, initially. The public lectures were an immense plus and its high international student composition was a bit more preferable. I also thought that the quality of education would be much better, given its reputation, and I also that I could freely discuss things with the professors. Honestly, the academic side of things isn't much of a bother for me; I just hope that I'd be able to interact with people instead of skulking around in the library. I'm not saying that I don't hold it in high regard anymore. Just, some perspective was needed.

I've heard a lot of things about the SU making promises that they couldn't really keep. And how incredibly annoying it gets during elections. And for competitiveness, I'm talking both in terms of academics and graduate employment. People jokingly say that the only thing that matters in the third year is getting more internship offers than your mate.

But thanks for everything else, it was really helpful! :biggrin:
I think everything boils down to what I make of my experience there, and I really like a good intellectual challenge. Sucks to see that LSE100 wasn't everything it's cracked up to be, though.

Indeed, that might be true for most courses. But for a degree in law, with the intent of getting into the industry soon, it doesn't really make sense to do PG in the first place. So, UG at full international fees for me.

Especially frustrating when I see my Malaysian friends applying for the hundreds of scholarships available to Malaysians studying abroad-.-
Reply 7

1) Honestly it's pretty much a waste of time. I understand the intention behind it (allow quantitative students to develop essay skills, critical thinking etc.) but in my opinion it completely fails to achieve them. When I did it your final grade was determined by 3 summative assignments and an exam, for the summative essays we were given the topic in advance and I know way to many quantitative students who basically spent hours writing an essay and memorising it which in my opinion completely defeats the purpose. For the exam it was just a matter of name dropping authors of the readings. All in all it just seemed like a way for LSE to force undergrad students to read papers published by LSE professors (because literally the entire reading list was by LSE professors). It also seemed supremely unfair that this took up a fair share of quantitative students time (i.e. memorising dates/names/acts associated with the cold war which they had 0 interest in and would never use again) while it completely overlapped with many qualitative students curriculums. I feel like if LSE were to continue with LSE100 they should not make it mandatory for qualitative students and instead make basic mathematics/statistics (ST107/MA107) compulsory. I think they've edited the syllabus for this year so maybe it's better now?

2) I would say most are, but you do have to make the effort to go to their office hours and talk to them. Also think it varies between departments, I've taken modules from a bunch of different departments and there are some in which you can tell the professors are passionate about the module, but honestly do not know how to teach it and just generally do not like people which obviously make them less approachable.

3) Varies a lot between departments/modules etc. Really hard to generalise I've had some amazing ones and some **** ones. When you get the chance to choose modules I suggest you ask around on which professors people enjoyed because it really make a difference in the quality of the teaching.

4) Intense. Personally didn't go to private school so was a big jump for me. All about finding the right people though. Overall though I find people overly competitive and cut-throat, which I guess is an atmosphere which some people thrive in?

5) Exams are all in Summer Term, except LSE100 which is week 0 of LT. For the majority of modules I've done it's been solely exam-based. Exams are 3 hours for a full unit, 1.5 - 2 hours for half units. I've never taken an exam where I've needed to study an entire module, generally you get to pick out of a selection of questions and they follow pretty consistent formats, so it's a good idea to look at exam papers early on in your revision and get a sense of the pattern.

And now I really need to go back to attempting to revise for my exams, hope those answers helped! Feel free to message if there's anything in particular you still need answered. Obviously all of the above are just my own opinions, really hard to generalise for all of LSE.
Reply 8
Original post by sarah95
1) Honestly it's pretty much a waste of time. I understand the intention behind it (allow quantitative students to develop essay skills, critical thinking etc.) but in my opinion it completely fails to achieve them. When I did it your final grade was determined by 3 summative assignments and an exam, for the summative essays we were given the topic in advance and I know way to many quantitative students who basically spent hours writing an essay and memorising it which in my opinion completely defeats the purpose. For the exam it was just a matter of name dropping authors of the readings. All in all it just seemed like a way for LSE to force undergrad students to read papers published by LSE professors (because literally the entire reading list was by LSE professors). It also seemed supremely unfair that this took up a fair share of quantitative students time (i.e. memorising dates/names/acts associated with the cold war which they had 0 interest in and would never use again) while it completely overlapped with many qualitative students curriculums. I feel like if LSE were to continue with LSE100 they should not make it mandatory for qualitative students and instead make basic mathematics/statistics (ST107/MA107) compulsory. I think they've edited the syllabus for this year so maybe it's better now?

2) I would say most are, but you do have to make the effort to go to their office hours and talk to them. Also think it varies between departments, I've taken modules from a bunch of different departments and there are some in which you can tell the professors are passionate about the module, but honestly do not know how to teach it and just generally do not like people which obviously make them less approachable.

3) Varies a lot between departments/modules etc. Really hard to generalise I've had some amazing ones and some **** ones. When you get the chance to choose modules I suggest you ask around on which professors people enjoyed because it really make a difference in the quality of the teaching.

4) Intense. Personally didn't go to private school so was a big jump for me. All about finding the right people though. Overall though I find people overly competitive and cut-throat, which I guess is an atmosphere which some people thrive in?

5) Exams are all in Summer Term, except LSE100 which is week 0 of LT. For the majority of modules I've done it's been solely exam-based. Exams are 3 hours for a full unit, 1.5 - 2 hours for half units. I've never taken an exam where I've needed to study an entire module, generally you get to pick out of a selection of questions and they follow pretty consistent formats, so it's a good idea to look at exam papers early on in your revision and get a sense of the pattern.

And now I really need to go back to attempting to revise for my exams, hope those answers helped! Feel free to message if there's anything in particular you still need answered. Obviously all of the above are just my own opinions, really hard to generalise for all of LSE.

Thanks for your perspective! :biggrin:
Really appreciate the detail, and best of luck for your exams!
1) LSE100. Objectively, how is the famed [and apparently hated] course? It's a pain, but it's manageable.
2) Are the professors approachable? [law in particular] Don't do law.
3) Do the professors really teach well? Depends on the professor!
4) How is the study atmosphere? Depends on the course and the people you hang round with. It's hardworking, certainly, but not super crazy unless you choose to spend time with the type of people who tend to be. There's plenty of spaces to study on campus if this is what you meant by this.
5) How are the exams structured? You're going to need to be more specific - for law I don't know.
6) How hard is it to get a first? Very very hard for law, from what I've heard.
7) Can one get a first without compromising on a good social life? Depends on how you define 'social life' - you're going to need to give me number of hours here.
8) Is LSE's emphasis on "independent learning" really just codeword for "Nobody gives a crap about you"? Depends on the course.
9) Is the Student Union effective? I think so. They can be a bit bureaucratic but they certainly do a lot for students. I don't think you can really get what they do unless you're involved with them quite frequently.
10) Are many students really that irascible and radical about their political views? No, just the ones that are are very loud.
11) How is the social life? People like to give it a knocking but my own experiences of it are really good. Just don't expect a fantastic one if you're not willing to put in any effort eg. sitting in your room all day and not joining societies/clubs/a sociable student hall and be willing to make conversation with people you don't know.
12) Is there a generally snobbish attitude towards international students? Not that I'm aware.
13) How competitive does it get? I don't understand this one.
14) What's with all the "scandals"? The rugby one? You're going to find a sexist, homophobic minority in any university's AU, tbh. LSE's no different but it's not what the vast majority of students are like.
15) LSE has 40 graduate scholarships for only Indians, but not a single undergraduate scholarship for international students. Looking at the fee structure, I can only ask emphatically, WHY? Yes it does. Look again. http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/scholarshipsAndFinancialSupport.aspx
(edited 9 years ago)

Hated but actually interesting tbh
Not really
Mixed bag
Serious
Marks entirely determined by exams, so high pressure
Think about all the AAA students who dont, you need to work hard.
Of course but at exam time no.
Pretty much
Meh
Small minority are really political(leftie, feminist etc) but majority not fussed
Poor compared with other unis but London is London...
Not sure what you men
Very

answers after
Reply 11
Original post by blueconstellation

2) Are the professors approachable? [law in particular] Don't do law.
6) How hard is it to get a first? Very very hard for law, from what I've heard.

15) LSE has 40 graduate scholarships for only Indians, but not a single undergraduate scholarship for international students. Looking at the fee structure, I can only ask emphatically, WHY? Yes it does. Look again. http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/scholarshipsAndFinancialSupport.aspx

What's wrong with Law at LSE? :s-smilie:

With regards to international scholarships, LSE has tied up with two trusts to offer scholarships to only two students; one from Kenya, the other from Mauritius (there are others for general courses only). UK students have a whole load of funding combined with almost half the tuition fee international students pay. Plus many UK students are eligible for student loans to begin with. Yippee for allocation of financial resources.
Reply 12
Bit late but maybe useful for future applications.

1) Not as bad as people suggest, but not really engaging for qualitative students. Its just learning a few quotes and details off by heart, there is no room to argue creatively. Grading is pretty arbitrary and teaching occurs through decent lectures and awful classes with pre-written worksheets. Got an easy Distinction with 3 days of studying.
2) Professors are very approachable (in IR department). They are always happy to meet with you in office hours and provide assistance.
3) Depends. Some professors are great, others less so. But overall the quality of lectures is good.
4) People are very intelligent and studious. Its a good atmosphere for learning with others and meeting like-minded people. Sometimes you feel like meeting someone who doesn't do social sciences though. There are amazing public lectures all the time that can really boost your understanding of academics/current affairs.
5) Exams are all the same in IR. Full units have 12 essay questions, answer 3 in 3 hours. Half units have 8 questions, answer 2 in 2 hours.
6) It is not impossible to get a first. I got a first in about 2/3 of my courses and an overall first too. I didn't do many readings throughout the year, but worked hard on essays and very diligently before the final exams. But yeah, certainly possible.
7) Yes of course. I had a fantastic social life in all three years. Made great friends for life. Easily possible, plus I was involved in loads of societies too.
8) Not necessarily. Its university first and foremost. You go to lectures, classes and then do independent study. So in that sense its up to you how you do. Nobody will run after you. Its no longer school. But if you were to have difficulties or needed serious help, your professors/teachers/academic advisors will be happy to help.
9) Not always but you learn to deal with it
10) Some students are radical about their views, but you will find many who are not.
11) Its what you make of it. I had a great time, and you can too if you look for it
12) No snobbish attitude at all. Most people are international students.
13) It gets quite competitive, but more so in the hunt for banking internships (if that is your thing). I didn't really feel too much competition in IR. People like to help each other.
Reply 13
I am currently studying in a Alberta High School system.
I am not aware about GCSES and therefore I simply I input my grade 11 marks on the UCAS education section and my marks were:

Math-70
Social-73
English-66
Work experiance system- 73
Client side scripting-78
Work experiance -95
French-92
Religious-100
Structured programming- 90
Bio-85
Chem-87

My predicted grades are:
Math-85
Social-80
Business-93
Art-98
Islamic-100

I am applying for the pure economic history course at LSE where English is not a reuqirement. I got a message from them claiming that my application is kept for further consideration. Do I stand a chance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending