The Student Room Group

Nottingham vs Sheffield vs Warwick LAW. Help please.

Hi, I'm an international student from South East Asia and I received 3 conditional offers from Nottingham, Sheffield and Warwick. However, I am having a hard time choosing which school as aside from league tables I have nothing else to base my comparisons on. I would like to stay on in the UK after my studies if possible. Can anyone tell me what the student life, environment, the location and other aspects of the schools is like as it will not be possible for me to visit them personally. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you :smile::smile::smile:
Original post by marcuscgy96
Hi, I'm an international student from South East Asia and I received 3 conditional offers from Nottingham, Sheffield and Warwick. However, I am having a hard time choosing which school as aside from league tables I have nothing else to base my comparisons on. I would like to stay on in the UK after my studies if possible. Can anyone tell me what the student life, environment, the location and other aspects of the schools is like as it will not be possible for me to visit them personally. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you :smile::smile::smile:

Hi there.

In my opinion, I would go for Nottingham or Warwick, given that the reputation of the two universities is higher than Sheffield.

If you prefer a city setting, then I would probably go for Nottingham. Warwick is located in a small town, which can be hard to adjust if you are not accustomed to it.

Personally, I would go for Nottingham, but either of them are good choices. However, if you do want to live more comfortably, then I would suggest Sheffield, as the cost of living is significantly less expensive than Nottingham and Warwick.
Original post by zero_Gravity91
Hi there.

In my opinion, I would go for Nottingham or Warwick, given that the reputation of the two universities is higher than Sheffield.

If you prefer a city setting, then I would probably go for Nottingham. Warwick is located in a small town, which can be hard to adjust if you are not accustomed to it.

Personally, I would go for Nottingham, but either of them are good choices. However, if you do want to live more comfortably, then I would suggest Sheffield, as the cost of living is significantly less expensive than Nottingham and Warwick.

Sheffield isn't significantly less expensive than Warwick or Nottingham. (Source: Lived in Nottingham for over 20 years, went to uni at Warwick, brother went to uni at Sheffield). What are you basing this off? Sorry I'm aware this sounds a bit dickish in the way I've phrased it!

Also Notts and Warwick are both a bus ride from a city centre and are very much campus unis whereas Sheffield is much more centrally located.
Original post by Wahrheit
Sheffield isn't significantly less expensive than Warwick or Nottingham. (Source: Lived in Nottingham for over 20 years, went to uni at Warwick, brother went to uni at Sheffield). What are you basing this off? Sorry I'm aware this sounds a bit dickish in the way I've phrased it!

Also Notts and Warwick are both a bus ride from a city centre and are very much campus unis whereas Sheffield is much more centrally located.

I could be wrong, but if you consider accommodation for both universities, it is somewhat less expensive at Sheffield if you do choose the self-catered option for shared bathrooms. Assuming that OP is going to live in halls, it will actually be a lower cost. Considering that OP is an international student, he will also have to bear the costs of pay additional costs for accommodation at Nottingham without meals, should he choose to live at University Park.

However, it does seem like Warwick has cheaper accommodation costs.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommodation/documents/comparisontable.pdf
http://360degreevirtualtours.group.shef.ac.uk/endcliffe/rents
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/all/campus/accommodationfees/campus_rents_15-16.pdf
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by zero_Gravity91
I could be wrong, but if you consider accommodation for both universities, it is somewhat less expensive at Sheffield if you do choose the self-catered option for shared bathrooms. Assuming that OP is going to live in halls, it will actually be a lower cost. Considering that OP is an international student, he will also have to bear the costs of pay additional costs for accommodation at Nottingham without meals, should he choose to live at University Park.

However, it does seem like Warwick has cheaper accommodation costs.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommodation/documents/comparisontable.pdf
http://360degreevirtualtours.group.shef.ac.uk/endcliffe/rents
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/all/campus/accommodationfees/campus_rents_15-16.pdf

Yeah for price Warwick is awesome to be honest, sub 3k p/a rents are always nice. General living costs at the three places will be roughly equivalent though, if you judge by the price of a pint anyway!
Reply 5
Hi guys, thank you very much for the info. I have now narrowed my options to warwick and nottingham uni. In terms of the course and the student life, which is better?
Original post by marcuscgy96
Hi guys, thank you very much for the info. I have now narrowed my options to warwick and nottingham uni. In terms of the course and the student life, which is better?

I think in terms of student life, Nottingham would definitely offer more than Warwick, given that you will be located in a bigger city. As for the course, I would say both universities are similar, although I would be leaning more towards Warwick if you are looking for reputation.
Reply 7
I also applied for Law with offers from both Warwick and Nottingham. However, I have decided to firm Warwick.
I've visited both universities twice and they are both amazing. With regards to law, I think Nottingham Law School is better if you want to practice it after your degree, but Warwick is equally as good because of its general reputation.

I hear Warwick social life is ok as it's a bit of a "bubble" and it's quite in the middle of nowhere, whilst Nottingham is a bit more social and has the city close by.
Apparently Nottingham give out a lot more 2:2's than most other universities, I'm not sure if this is just a rumour but if it is true then it could be a serious issue to consider if you wish to practice law after university as most places seem to obsess over 2:1 grades.
I think Warwick university has the slight edge for overall reputation over Nottingham. For Law they are pretty even in standards. Warwick for me, but it is a tight call. Nottingham's campus is one the World's finest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending