The Student Room Group

How many A*s at A-level do you need at most?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by morgan8002
Do you have proof?

You have my word...

(I really hope this thread was a joke btw)
Posted from TSR Mobile
I need At least 12 so I can study basket weaving at Cambridge.If I don't reach that target I can do reinterpretation of McDonald's handbook studies at Oxford.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Helpme.
ded joke try again

Sorry :biggrin:
Just wondering what everyone's opinions are on this. How many A*s at A-level do you need to get into university (this will change by course so estimate the maximum for reasonably competitive courses). This is assuming the applicant has no other qualifications at all.
This is partly hypothetical and partly practical.

You CAN'T get into unis with only A*s!! You need at least 15 A**s and no less than four A***s for the unis to even look at your application.
Original post by gagafacea1
You CAN'T get into unis with only A*s!! You need at least 15 A**s and no less than four A***s for the unis to even look at your application.

Be serious. You can vote \infty if you think that for genuine reasons.
I think they might have lied to you, Cambridge doesn't offer bricklaying.

Oh dear so even Anglia Ruskin asks for 40 A*s?
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
I need At least 12 so I can study basket weaving at Cambridge.If I don't reach that target I can do reinterpretation of McDonald's handbook studies at Oxford.

I think with 12 A*s you probably can't even get into a graduate certificate course at Oxford. Maybe like day school is more your level?
Original post by jamestg
One of my friends got rejected by Oxford Brookes because they only got 23A*s when Puppetry needed 29A*s...

Shame really, I guess they'll have to become a bin man.

But the minimum requirement to apply for a binning job is 35 A*s :s-smilie:
Original post by clh_hilary
But the minimum requirement to apply for a binning job is 35 A*s :s-smilie:

They knew a guy who knew a guy...
Original post by jamestg
They knew a guy who knew a guy...

This country is so corrupt :s-smilie:

Who do they have friends with only 24 As anyway?

I know someone at school who had 27 A*s in his mock and he got kicked out right away, no-one talks to him any more, and even his parents have disowned him.
This whole thread turned to **** pretty quickly.

We're all gonna make it.
Be serious. You can vote \infty if you think that for genuine reasons.

Wait so this isn't a joke?? Why the hell would you need more than 6? And even six is waaaaay too much. I honestly don't get the point of this thread (if it isn't a joke).
Original post by clh_hilary
This country is so corrupt :s-smilie:

Who do they have friends with only 24 As anyway?

I know someone at school who had 27 A*s in his mock and he got kicked out right away, no-one talks to him any more, and even his parents have disowned him.

To be honest if I was his parent I would've disowned them too. 27A*s is simply atrocious, I can't even comprehend how I would've felt with 27.
Original post by jamestg
To be honest if I was his parent I would've disowned them too. 27A*s is simply atrocious, I can't even comprehend how I would've felt with 27.

ikr.

I mean, I had 897165438513461095879 A*s and I still feel so bad about myself.
Original post by Helpme.
lol you must be joking.

Deadly serious.
Original post by gagafacea1
Wait so this isn't a joke?? Why the hell would you need more than 6? And even six is waaaaay too much. I honestly don't get the point of this thread (if it isn't a joke).

No It's not a joke.

Lots of people I've spoken to believe that I won't get into uni this year, even if I get perfect grades (not going to happen) in my current A-levels and STEP. That's got to be worth 6 or 7 A*s total, so most people believe it to be much greater than 6.

This thread is partly because it's an interesting question and partly research for gap year A-levels. Based on this, I'll probably do another 6 or so fast-tracked next year if I don't get in.
Original post by AdamCee
Deadly serious.

Your profile says otherwise.
Reply 37
Guys it's not 12 yet therefore it's still 31st March:ahee::ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
no it's not a joke.

Lots of people i've spoken to believe that i won't get into uni this year, even if i get perfect grades (not going to happen) in my current a-levels and step. That's got to be worth 6 or 7 a*s total, so most people believe it to be much greater than 6.

This thread is partly because it's an interesting question and partly research for gap year a-levels. Based on this, i'll probably do another 6 or so fast-tracked next year if i don't get in.

what is the reason people think you won't be able to get into university?
Original post by jamestg
what is the reason people think you won't be able to get into university?

GCSE results.

Quick Reply

Latest