The Student Room Group

Help with C2 integration question.

Hi,

I am stuck on Q7, I found the coordinates of A(0,0) and B (2,2).
But when I come to integrate it, I use the formula of the curve subbing in the limits and subtracting the two different expressions derived from subbing in the two different limits.

I then got an answer, 2. But it says the region R so I find the area of the triangle bounded by y=x and the x axis. That also gives 2. So 2-2=0 which cannot be right.

Help please.:confused:
Reply 1
Original post by 1TrueMeaning

Hi,

I am stuck on Q7, I found the coordinates of A(0,0) and B (2,2).
But when I come to integrate it, I use the formula of the curve subbing in the limits and subtracting the two different expressions derived from subbing in the two different limits.

I then got an answer, 2. But it says the region R so I find the area of the triangle bounded by y=x and the x axis. That also gives 2. So 2-2=0 which cannot be right.

Help please.:confused:

You could find the area of the curve from point B to point A and subtract by the area under the line x=y from point A to point B.
Indeed the area under the line (ie in the shape of a triangle) is equivalent to 2 sq units.

However, the area under the curve should be represented by the integral

Did you get that part right?

Peace.
:s-smilie:
Original post by WhiteGroupMaths
Indeed the area under the line (ie in the shape of a triangle) is equivalent to 2 sq units.

However, the area under the curve should be represented by the integral

Did you get that part right?

Peace.

Thank you. Peace and guidance on you too.

Quick Reply

Latest