The Student Room Group

ITV's You're Back in the Room

I saw the threads on believing in ghosts and stuff and I was wondering if anyone else has seen this disaster of a TV programme? It's about a "hypnotist" "hypnotising" people to do stupid things on TV.

At first I was offended that ITV thought the public were gullible enough to believe this until I look over at my Mum who is sat next to me in utter awe and finding it hilarious. Surely people don't believe in this. :frown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7x5N4MXIMQ
Original post by LeaX
I saw the threads on believing in ghosts and stuff and I was wondering if anyone else has seen this disaster of a TV programme? It's about a "hypnotist" "hypnotising" people to do stupid things on TV.

At first I was offended that ITV thought the public were gullible enough to believe this until I look over at my Mum who is sat next to me in utter awe and finding it hilarious. Surely people don't believe in this. :frown:

I thought it was all BS, but my dad who used to work in TV and now works in radio told me that unless they revealed it at the end, they aren't allowed to mislead audiences like that. It breaches broadcasting standards or something like that. I still find it extremely difficult to believe though, I'm convinced they must have found some loophole or something :dontknow:
I really don't know what to think about it. In situations like this, I always say it's probably something you kind of have to experience yourself to truly understand? But at the same time, I'd be too much of a wuss to take that risk haha. I don't like the idea of possibly not being able to control my mind! :hmmmm:
It would break false advertising and other broadcasting laws if it wasn't real, yeah.

Hypnosis is very hard to believe when you're watching it, watch anything by Derren Brown and you'll realise that.

Them not showing the process of hypnotizing on the show is actually further evidence that it's legit, there are laws in place preventing hypnosis being shown in case the viewer is brought under and unable to be brought out of their hypnotic state.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Novascope
I really don't know what to think about it. In situations like this, I always say it's probably something you kind of have to experience yourself to truly understand? But at the same time, I'd be too much of a wuss to take that risk haha. I don't like the idea of possibly not being able to control my mind! :hmmmm:

Original post by Zargabaath
I thought it was all BS, but my dad who used to work in TV and now works in radio told me that unless they revealed it at the end, they aren't allowed to mislead audiences like that. It breaches broadcasting standards or something like that. I still find it extremely difficult to believe though, I'm convinced they must have found some loophole or something :dontknow:

I feel like people do it because of the pressure on stage to? I don't believe in it at all though so would love to have the opportunity to go on the programme to prove it wrong haha. There is a guy called James Randi who offers a million dollar prize if evidence of paranormal abilities such as hypnosis is found and nobody has won it because nobody is capable of such things.
Reply 5
ahahahahha OMG the programme is so funny! the stuff the people do :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Retired_Messiah
It would break false advertising and other broadcasting laws if it wasn't real, yeah.

Hypnosis is very hard to believe when you're watching it, watch anything by Derren Brown and you'll realise that.

Them not showing the process of hypnotizing on the show is actually further evidence that it's legit, there are laws in place preventing hypnosis being shown in case the viewer is brought under and unable to be brought out of their hypnotic state.

Sorry but there is no way that I believe hypnosis is occurring.
Actors
Is there any scientific evidence behind hypnosis? Brain activity changes etc?
It's fake, they all have acting experience of some kind.

Plus the fact hypnotism doesn't work anyway.
Original post by LeaX
Sorry but there is no way that I believe hypnosis is occurring.

Sue ITV then.
Reply 11
Original post by soanonymous
Is there any scientific evidence behind hypnosis? Brain activity changes etc?

Not that I know of. I studied parapsychology and don't recall there being any ground-breaking studies on it lol. I think it just relaxes you (similar to how meditation works I guess?) which I can see helping with anxiety or pain but I can't see how that would result in such decreased inhibitions that you act how the people on the show are depicted. To me this show is like a teenager having their first bottle of WKD at the tender age of 12 and acting completely drunk.

Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
It's fake, they all have acting experience of some kind.

Plus the fact hypnotism doesn't work anyway.

Original post by games211
Actors

I can't find evidence of them being actors but it does say that they were recruited via several rounds of auditions for their ability to be hypnotised (aka the ability to play up to the camera or have a strong placebo effect)
Original post by LeaX
I feel like people do it because of the pressure on stage to? I don't believe in it at all though so would love to have the opportunity to go on the programme to prove it wrong haha. There is a guy called James Randi who offers a million dollar prize if evidence of paranormal abilities such as hypnosis is found and nobody has won it because nobody is capable of such things.

I feel I'd be way too awkward to actually do that stuff alone, nevermind on national TV tbh. Those people are ether actors or have balls of steel haha
Original post by LeaX

I believe we have the same birthgiver
There will be some way around the laws. Look at storage hunters, lizard lick towing and all that crap

Quick Reply

Latest