The Student Room Group

I cannot motivate myself to do anything I want

I have ambition but I cannot be bothered to do things for example I want to read this and that but at the end I don't do anything I am so distracted I cannot put my mind to anything and do what I want how to concentrate on my goals when I plan ahead it never works out. There is lots of ambition but not enough motivation.
Hi Maria! If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? At a younger age, it's often hard to find the motivation to actually start doing what you need to do. Or perhaps you should find someone with a similar ambition so that you can try and work towards it together. Putting the aspect of competition in the picture usually helps.
Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Maria1812
I have ambition but I cannot be bothered to do things for example I want to read this and that but at the end I don't do anything I am so distracted I cannot put my mind to anything and do what I want how to concentrate on my goals when I plan ahead it never works out. There is lots of ambition but not enough motivation.

are your ambitions your real ambitions or maybe things you are expected to do by others?

I guess I am similar in a way, or maybe not, I can't be bothered to think it through :wink: :biggrin:

But I am just think deep down are these your *real* ambitions? Maybe deep down it's not really what you want to do.

That is just an idea that came to me so I thought I would 'throw it out there'.
Nothing like a drink and a smoke to sharpen the mind. Or so I've heard.
Same for me. I give up on the most important things that I shouldn't...including myself *plays sad violin music*
Reply 5
I find it very difficult to become motivated.. Even when I am motivated I end up doing NOTHING to accomplish my goals. IMO, what will help you accomplish your goals is not motivation but rather discipline and focus.

But since I'm the ultimate procrastinator, I haven't worked towards becoming more focussed and disciplined! :biggrin: Still haven't done anything I said I would do in my gap year (i.e. read books, get a job, get into a sport).. :erm:
Reply 6
Original post by MuchWeary
Hi Maria! If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? At a younger age, it's often hard to find the motivation to actually start doing what you need to do. Or perhaps you should find someone with a similar ambition so that you can try and work towards it together. Putting the aspect of competition in the picture usually helps.
Good luck :smile:

Well I am doing my GcSe I cannot study as I want I cannot concentrate on reading My ambitions are to do my homework and read books I don't really have any friends I have 1 or 2 in school but we never met ouside school so I have to try do it myself. Sometimes I am draw to computers tv and I want to relax not do my homework am doing art gcse I cannot get on with my annonatations at all. I can do them fairly well its just I can't be bothered. I want to be bothered but I physically can't I go to bed early and wake up early 10-8/9 I usually sleep on holidays I am also going aboard so I need a wake up call to get on with my things.
Reply 7
Original post by zainy_r
I find it very difficult to become motivated.. Even when I am motivated I end up doing NOTHING to accomplish my goals. IMO, what will help you accomplish your goals is not motivation but rather discipline and focus.

But since I'm the ultimate procrastinator, I haven't worked towards becoming more focussed and disciplined! :biggrin: Still haven't done anything I said I would do in my gap year (i.e. read books, get a job, get into a sport).. :erm:

When i had no tv I found it easier to get on with things but with the tv and so much technology its tempting
Reply 8
Original post by esbo
are your ambitions your real ambitions or maybe things you are expected to do by others?

I guess I am similar in a way, or maybe not, I can't be bothered to think it through :wink: :biggrin:

But I am just think deep down are these your *real* ambitions? Maybe deep down it's not really what you want to do.

That is just an idea that came to me so I thought I would 'throw it out there'.

Real ambitions like doing homework,reading I always do homework but I can't do it straight away which annoys me as I want a better lfiestyle I don't go out with friends or waste time on social media I want to really focus and revise for my gcse and read many books.
Reply 9
When i had no tv I found it easier to get on with things but with the tv and so much technology its tempting

I agree with you! There are so many things that distract us nowadays. I'm supposed to be reading a chapter for my sociology course but instead I've spent almost 3 hours on the internet!!

I'm gonna switch my laptop off and go read..

GOOD LUCK! I know it's hard but you'll find a way!!:console:
Reply 10
Original post by zainy_r
I agree with you! There are so many things that distract us nowadays. I'm supposed to be reading a chapter for my sociology course but instead I've spent almost 3 hours on the internet!!

I'm gonna switch my laptop off and go read..

GOOD LUCK! I know it's hard but you'll find a way!!:console:

Thank you enjoy your reading hopefully all goes well
Reply 11
I know it sounds harsh but you just have to do it. There isnt going to be anyone on here or any other person that will make you motivated. Its all up to you. Once you get into a routine of coming home from school and doing your homework, it will become easier. Only you can make the things you want to do, happen and there isnt anybody that can make you motivated. Only you can achieve your ambitions, no-one is going to do forfil those for you either. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by hap07
I know it sounds harsh but you just have to do it. There isnt going to be anyone on here or any other person that will make you motivated. Its all up to you. Once you get into a routine of coming home from school and doing your homework, it will become easier. Only you can make the things you want to do, happen and there isnt anybody that can make you motivated. Only you can achieve your ambitions, no-one is going to do forfil those for you either. :smile:

What should my schedule be based on and how not to be tempted to watch tv or go on the internet? I know no one can do it for me but after a long hard day at school from 7-4 the last thing you want to do is studying after hours of studying. Should I let my body rest or force it to do something if it can't concentrate on it and does not do it effectively?
Well I am doing my GcSe I cannot study as I want I cannot concentrate on reading My ambitions are to do my homework and read books I don't really have any friends I have 1 or 2 in school but we never met ouside school so I have to try do it myself. Sometimes I am draw to computers tv and I want to relax not do my homework am doing art gcse I cannot get on with my annonatations at all. I can do them fairly well its just I can't be bothered. I want to be bothered but I physically can't I go to bed early and wake up early 10-8/9 I usually sleep on holidays I am also going aboard so I need a wake up call to get on with my things.

Technology is a really big distraction for me too. I find it easier when I plan out things. Like a timetable of sorts. Also make up a reward system. For instance, if you finish xyz homework by say 5pm, then you allow yourself to watch half an hour of telly, guilt free :wink:
Something of that sort. You can't expect yourself to start following the routine right away but you keep trying and keep modifying the routine to make it more realistic. Can't expect yourself to read/study all the time with little or no breaks
It is hard to motivate yourself but you have to try and be strict with yourself otherwise you wont be progressing.
Reply 15
Original post by MuchWeary
Technology is a really big distraction for me too. I find it easier when I plan out things. Like a timetable of sorts. Also make up a reward system. For instance, if you finish xyz homework by say 5pm, then you allow yourself to watch half an hour of telly, guilt free :wink:
Something of that sort. You can't expect yourself to start following the routine right away but you keep trying and keep modifying the routine to make it more realistic. Can't expect yourself to read/study all the time with little or no breaks

Thank you I will today I picked a new book to read called Polyanna I like it so far I find it comfy to read on the couch on my ipad rather then a real book as soemtimes the book is hard to keep open for a long time. I like Polyanna I think I will read what I like but classic only so it will not be a chore but fun rather. But make a time table or some reard system like for each 10 pages you read you can watch an eposide for each 20 a long movie
Reply 16
What should my schedule be based on and how not to be tempted to watch tv or go on the internet? I know no one can do it for me but after a long hard day at school from 7-4 the last thing you want to do is studying after hours of studying. Should I let my body rest or force it to do something if it can't concentrate on it and does not do it effectively?

By all means give yourself a rest. Everyone is in the same boat though. I'm doing the same hours and in my last year of Alevels so I've been studying for almost 4 years now. Revise on a school night for 2 or 3 hours with regular breaks and treat yourself when you've done you target. At the weekend have a day where you do nothing. Motivation isn't a gift or physical being someone can give you. If you don't force yourself to do something, you will fail, and it will be your fault. Its honestly as simple as that. Revision isn't hard, its the thought that stops you but once you get past that, you will be fine.
Reply 17
Original post by hap07
By all means give yourself a rest. Everyone is in the same boat though. I'm doing the same hours and in my last year of Alevels so I've been studying for almost 4 years now. Revise on a school night for 2 or 3 hours with regular breaks and treat yourself when you've done you target. At the weekend have a day where you do nothing. Motivation isn't a gift or physical being someone can give you. If you don't force yourself to do something, you will fail, and it will be your fault. Its honestly as simple as that. Revision isn't hard, its the thought that stops you but once you get past that, you will be fine.

Thank you I will relax then if I feel ready to do it properly I will do it hopefully. Good advice

Quick Reply

Latest