The Student Room Group

Studying Psychology at Uni, is it worth it?

Hi everyone, I'm considering studying Psychology at university as I am really enjoying it at A-levels, however is it worth the debt? I don't want to waste all that money on something that doesn't help get jobs and such, I also have no clue on what I want to have as a career so that was why I was thinking of just studying something I enjoy but I am completely confused as of what to do! Any help or advice??
Reply 1
Original post by kt03
Hi everyone, I'm considering studying Psychology at university as I am really enjoying it at A-levels, however is it worth the debt? I don't want to waste all that money on something that doesn't help get jobs and such, I also have no clue on what I want to have as a career so that was why I was thinking of just studying something I enjoy but I am completely confused as of what to do! Any help or advice??

A degree with no direct career attached to it is better than no degree. Unless you are ready to do something that IS linked directly to something--like law--then do psychology, or whatever else you enjoy.
I am on my 2nd year of Psychology, If I had known now what I knew when I applied for it, I wouldnt have. The subject is interesting dont get me wrong. But this degree has no immediate career paths when completing it, you will have to undertake alot more further study afterwards to specialize in something.

If I were you, I would choose a degree with a professional career vacancy that you could apply for straight after your degree.
Its a lot like English Literature or History degrees- they don't have direct jobs related to those degree (except for university/school teaching), but there's lots you can do with just a general degree. Loads of jobs don't require a specific degree.

The issue with psychology i guess is that people are under the illusion that it would be easy to become a clinical psychologist after graduating. If your motivated and do well academically, its definately worth trying to get into psychology jobs (educational, clinical, etc.), however its just quite a long path.
Reply 4
Very few degrees have direct jobs linked from them. Even doing a PhD in Biology I'm using very little of the explicit knowledge and skills developed in my Biology degree.

If you want to go to university then go to study what you find interesting. Something will come from there.
Well, it opens up a lot of doors.

I did a Psychology degree, I'm now working in recruitment (for the NHS... so not sales) and I'm hoping to go into Occupational Therapy. Others in my graduate year are working in sales, human resources, distribution, marketing, teaching, psychology support roles, communications... pretty much everything. What a Psych degree can give you is the ability to understand others; the sensitivity to deal with difficult situations and an awareness of a lot of different issues in the world. If you can apply that then you can take your career anywhere.

If you want to be free after your degree and don't have any concrete plans then Psychology is a good and worthwhile path, but if you're adamant that you want to be a Doctor/Lawyer/Vet then it's not the right one for you. If you enjoy the subject and are interested in how people work then you'll be interested enough to get a good grade and that's what really matters.

Quick Reply

Latest