The Student Room Group

Samba's fantasy football draft game

As it's Easter and we're all bored, I thought I'd make this little game! I want to know

a) If you have any questions or ideas for it!
b) if you're interested

Inspired by a mixture of a redcafe thing and the american game, this could work here.

The game will be run in a straight knockout cup format. Depending on how many people signup, there will be variable rounds.

Order of play:

1. Signup phase: Sign up to register for the game

2: Draft pot: Each player will be randomly selected a position in the 8 rounds.

There will be 8 draft rounds, where you can pick 2 players each for a total of 16. The person who has the last pick of their first player, will have the 1st pick of the 2nd, and it will proceed in reverse order. You will be able to select any 11 players from your squad for each game.

Spoiler

3: Draft Trading

You will be able to trade your draft rounds with other players. For example, I may with to trade my 1st round second pick for a Lucio's 2nd and 3rd round 1st picks. Where you are potted will depend on how you decide to utilise trades. If you require players at the end of drafting as a result of trading you will have the ability to select unpicked players up to your 16.

4. The Draft

Each player will select their picks in turn.

5: Player transfers

You may transfer any player with a player from another team upon agreement from both parties. You are limited to a maximum of 2 transfers

6: The Game:

Each player will post a tactical breakdown and formation for their team, and explain how they will win the game. Users vote on who they think will win, the winner goes through to the next round!

Rules:

- You must select a home country at the outset. A minimum 5 squad players and 4 in the team must be from this home country.
- Players must be born on or after 01/01/1970
- Assume each player picked is at the peak of his career. You cannot predict a players future peak however.
- `You must include at least 1 player currently under 22 in your team, and 2 in your squad.

EDIT:

IN so far:

Mackay
SK7866
Samba
SR90
little_wizard123
Jam277
difeo
fallen_acorns
Arkasia
Depleted
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Seems long-winded, but I'm in.
Reply 2
Played a few in the caf myself. Wasn't the greatest though. INNNNNNNN
Yeh i'm in, never done one before but I always follow the drafts on the Caf with much interest.

I would block Messi & Ronaldo from selection if you're going to do a snake draft btw, otherwise whoever goes first is just going to use their two picks on them and be ridiculously OP.
Reply 4
Original post by sr90
Yeh i'm in, never done one before but I always follow the drafts on the Caf with much interest.

I would block Messi & Ronaldo from selection if you're going to do a snake draft btw, otherwise whoever goes first is just going to use their two picks on them and be ridiculously OP.

Yep defo.

Maybe also Maradona and Pele
Reply 5
Original post by sr90

It's definitely an idea, but the idea if with this one if you're picking first in the first round (ronaldo and messi), you'll be both picking your 2nd pick of the first round last and your first pick of the 2nd round last. Perhaps that's not enough to balance it though! If excluding Ronaldo and Messi would you exclude fat ronaldo too?

Original post by SK7866
Yep defo.

Maybe also Maradona and Pele

Both were born before 1970 :p:
Original post by samba
It's definitely an idea, but the idea if with this one if you're picking first in the first round (ronaldo and messi), you'll be both picking your 2nd pick of the first round last and your first pick of the 2nd round last. Perhaps that's not enough to balance it though! If excluding Ronaldo and Messi would you exclude fat ronaldo too?

Nah R9 is fine, there's a ton of good strikers for a draft like this (won't reel off a long list as it'll ruin picks, you'll know who i'm talking about).
Well you can't pick them both by the rules so it's fine.

I am in, after I got ridiculously beaten in the last draft I did here :mad: not that I'm bitter.
In
Reply 9
Original post by sr90

Oh, I misunderstood what you said before. In the first round, the first person will get their first pick, then the 2nd person etc.

The last person will get the first 2nd pick (in the 1st round) and then everybody else will.

Say me you and Jam were in

Me: messi
you: ronaldo
jam: sturridge
jams turn
my turn
your turn

then round 2. I've designed it to stop one person being able to whore them all :p:

(and in round 2, as i went first in r1 it would go jam, you, me, me, you, jam. etc)

The only way somebody could get both ronaldo and messi would be to trade for the overall #2 first round pick. (and already own the 1st, or vice versa. or own neither and trade for both) And to do that they'd probably lose a lot of ground, as you'd have to be quite insane to give it up
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
In
in :smile:

Remeber the last one on here.. it looked fun, but I did not take part - will give it a go this time

bloody hell... did not realise it was way back in 2012..

far further back then I thought it was.
Original post by fallen_acorns
bloody hell... did not realise it was way back in 2012..

far further back then I thought it was.

I think there was one (or maybe even 2?) since then, but I either missed the deadline or refused to participate. #justice4Vieira
Original post by little_wizard123
I think there was one (or maybe even 2?) since then, but I either missed the deadline or refused to participate. #justice4Vieira

would make sense if it was one of the more recent ones that I saw.. 2012, would have been just when I was starting to get involved with the football forum, so doubt I would have followed it that much.
I'm in, I wouldn't ban Messi or Ronaldo. No doubt they'll be the first two picks but you're not guaranteed a win with them.

Not so sure about the home nations thing. Argentina, Brazil, Spain and Germany are obvious picks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Not so sure about the home nations thing. Argentina, Brazil, Spain and Germany are obvious picks.

Agree. The Caf draft is one player per country which may work out better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
Agree. The Caf draft is one player per country which may work out better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally don't see a need for any restrictions at all except the age rule, which is good because people on here (myself included) will underrate players from the past. The U22 rule makes it a bit more interesting I guess, and it's not a huge restriction.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Personally don't see a need for any restrictions at all except the age rule, which is good because people on here (myself included) will underrate players from the past. The U22 rule makes it a bit more interesting I guess, and it's not a huge restriction.

Yeh to be honest even 1970 is pushing it a bit. Most people on here would struggle to remember how good R9 was for example.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest