The Student Room Group

Are One Direction fans being over dramatic?

So I'm pretty sure most of us now know about Zayn's departure from One Direction, but I am so shocked at the way some of his fans have reacted. While I can acknowledge that a member of your favourite band leaving is upsetting, it really shouldn't leave you acting as if you're mourning a family death, and it shouldn't leave you contemplating suicide or self harm. I've read some shocking things on Twitter and Facebook that makes me question the mental health of some of his fans...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Novascope
So I'm pretty sure most of us now know about Zayn's departure from One Direction, but I am so shocked at the way some of his fans have reacted. While I can acknowledge that a member of your favourite band leaving is upsetting, it really shouldn't leave you acting as if you're mourning a family death, and it shouldn't leave you contemplating suicide or self harm. I've read some shocking things on Twitter and Facebook that makes me question the mental health of some of his fans...

Nutjobs right. There lives revolve some guy/band.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Teenage girls being over dramatic? Might be a world first!

Reply 4
Yeah, I think the reaction is a bit big! One of them was going to leave pretty soon - i mean, they have been together for 5 years! I do feel bad for the fans tho :s-smilie:
Lol one direction

Yes, i think they are being very dramatic.
No one likes it when a member of their favourite band leaves, but the reaction of some of the fans is over the top. They are reacting as if its the first band to ever loose a member.
Teenage girls have been acting this way ever since pop music and boybands began. Of course it's pathetic, but so what? Let them be pathetic.
Reply 8
You'll always find nutters like this no matter the fandom. Just look at some of the tripe currently spewing from die-hard Top Gear fans and you'll see it's not a problem solely restricted to boy bands.

Although I suppose you could call Top Gear a boy band too, only difference is they're 30 years older and unlike 1D, they don't pretend to be good at making music.
Original post by Loafing.Charizard
Lol one direction

I thought you'd be a fan mila

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yeah dude
I thought you'd be a fan mila

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg yeh dude where you been bruh. Looking fly in your picture, maybe you could take over as Zayn?
Original post by Loafing.Charizard
Omg yeh dude where you been bruh. Looking fly in your picture, maybe you could take over as Zayn?

Lol I'll be gone for a week tomorrow because I'm going away.

I tried to join their crew but 1) they only let the british dudes join and 2) I can sing XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thunder_chunky
Teenage girls have been acting this way ever since pop music and boybands began. Of course it's pathetic, but so what? Let them be pathetic.

Let them "be pathetic" as in promote hashtags such as #cut4Zayn and cut themselves, posting pictures on Twitter? You can't seriously believe just letting them be pathetic and standing back and doing nothing is a reasonable course of action? The girls doing this have clearly got mental health issues, and it goes way beyond being pathetic.

loool, most of their fan base (the ones that make all those hashtags on twitter about self-harm), consist of immature teenage girls.

of freaking course they're going to be over dramatic. what else did you expect?

its' exactly the same as the 'CutForBieber' trend that was taking over twitter before. Frankly the lack of brain cells available to go into the prevention of their actions, really makes me worry about the future of humanity.
Reply 15
Original post by thunder_chunky

lol I didn't say we should take action. I'd just hate to have a daughter that obsessed. I know teenage girls have acted like that over bands in the past, like I remeber watching MJ concerts back and seeing his fans go mental, but I've never heard fans of any artist or band in the past contemplating suicide and self harm?
When are they not over dramatic?
Reply 17
Original post by Dez
You'll always find nutters like this no matter the fandom. Just look at some of the tripe currently spewing from die-hard Top Gear fans and you'll see it's not a problem solely restricted to boy bands.Although I suppose you could call Top Gear a boy band too, only difference is they're 30 years older and unlike 1D, they don't pretend to be good at making music.

Haha I love your response. I totally understand there are hardcore fans for people other than artists/bands, but you don't really hear about them as often as you do with boyband fans
Reply 18
Original post by little_wizard123
Let them "be pathetic" as in promote hashtags such as #cut4Zayn and cut themselves, posting pictures on Twitter? You can't seriously believe just letting them be pathetic and standing back and doing nothing is a reasonable course of action? The girls doing this have clearly got mental health issues, and it goes way beyond being pathetic.

Exactly, that's right. Obviously there are more important things going on that need attention, and it would be pretty hard to stop these hardcore fans doing what they do, but we shouldn't sit around pretending that there aren't 12, 13, 14 year olds hurting themselves over a bunch of guys. We should at least acknowledge that most of these girls need help.
Yeah I know, but don't you find it at least slightly worrying? Maybe it's just because I'm really maternal and worry about young people too much haha. I'd just hate to have a child like that.

It is worrying definitely how teenage and pre-teen girls can get SO obsessed with boy bands. I really hope my daughter(s) don't end up like that.

Pisses me even more when they defend the boys when they do something bad/controversial/illegal and say crap like he didn't mean it or he's perfect or don't judge him ARGH. Zayn is probably the one guy there who has an ounce of common sense

Quick Reply

Latest