The Student Room Group

Step Up to Social Work Programme 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hi all, I'm going to the assessment centre in Cambridge on Tuesday (30th) next week. Really nervous. Is anyone else going to be there?
Does anyone else have an afternoon slot at the assessment Centre, mine is 12:45pm! Its the Sheffield Centre.
assessment day done- now the waiting begins again.

I don't know what they were looking for at the assessment day. I did my best. If I did it again I think I would have done the same . They can take me or leave me now, I cant do any more!! Good luck everyone..
we are not allowed to reveal any of the tasks we did. But how do other feel about their assessment day??

I don't think you can really prepare. I felt uncomfortable all day as it was boiling and I was wearing a suit! I felt like I was in a sauna which didn't help.
Mine was last Wednesday when it was 35 degrees. I was so thankful they had air conditioning!!

I found it hard to know if I had done well they didn't say anything really. I just got through all the tasks. Nothing went awfully so now just have to wait until August!! Are people still doing assessments?
I feel the same. I don't think I made any major mistakes, and I completed all tasks. Im not sure if I was good enough but in hindsight I would have done the same tomorrow so what will be will be..
I found the interview the hardest and feel this was my worse task.
Yeah it's hard when we can't talk specifically about tasks. But I agree, the interview was a challenge. It's always hard when you're on the spot. I think it will just come down to whether people gave better answers and performed better overall. It's really hard to know how you did and know what the were specifically looking for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys

Does anybody know when to expect to know the results of th assessment day ?
At our assessment day they said week commencing 3rd August and said it would be the same for everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Verbal reasoning tests are designed to see how well you can read a statement and then answer questions about what you read. They are timed and test your comprehension under pressure - a key social work skill. The tests are used for short listing.
I attended my assessment day on the 30th June and as I left I was told I will hear within 2-3 weeks. It is such a loooong process. I hate waiting- Just want to know one way or another so I can make plans.

Good luck everyone
My assessment day is next week. Safe to say the nerves are kicking in. Its hard not knowing how to prepare.

To those who have done it already do you think your prep helped at all? I know you can't say anything about the specific tests but could you have prepared better at all?
I think you can only prepare by knowing the professional capabilities framework and try to apply some of it to the tasks.

Good Luck
I think they are looking at the way you communicate and your people skills, the way you respond when being put on the spot.
Original post by olegwarwick
I think they are looking at the way you communicate and your people skills, the way you respond when being put on the spot.

Thank you! This is the sort of thing i've been thinking about too.

Its amazing how when i think about preparing for it i get so so nervous. Can only imagine what the day will be like!
The thing is you are probably a natural and use people skills without trying. just be yourself. You will be fine.
It is amazing how many people do not have natural people skills. -My current boss for example!!!!
I had my assessment 24th june - it seems bizarre that people who had their assessments earlier have to wait to be told with those who had theirs much later in different regions. I guess we will wait and see.
Just got an email from DFE saying I will hear the outcome of my assessment day week commencing 3rd August 2015.
I think it is the same for all. they are waiting until ALL assessment days are over in all regions.
Me too - I thought it was going to be an email to let me know the outcome lol oh well
Have you considered volunteering for a family support organisation? Home-Start volunteers offer regular one to one support direct to families, this may give you the experience you are looking for?

Quick Reply