The Student Room Group

Step Up to Social Work Programme 2015

Hi
First time posting. :smile:
Just wondering if anyone is applying for the step up to social care programme or has already finished it. Would love to hear your opinions and how the programme went.
Also wondering how much volunteering/relevant paid work experience previous successful Step Up candidates had when they applied for the course? I don't have much experience with children, I completed 2 weeks as nursery assistant but that was in 2008:frown: Planning to volunteer this month before I finish my application. Any ideas where?
I have a 2:1 in BA English Language and Linguistics, a grade C in Maths and grade A in English.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

I am applying for this years intake I have 3+ years experience with children. I havent completed the application yet though! The questions are hard as they only allow 250words! What regions have you applied for?
Reply 2
Heya~

I'm applying for regions in the South West. I've got two years experience with a mixture of adults and children. I have not finished completing my application yet but hope to soon.
Reply 3
Hey :smile:

I'm applying too, I'm also a tad worried about lack of experience. I've done a 60+ hour teaching placement over the course of this year and have been involved in various mentoring schemes for the past 5/6 years (nothing huge).

I don't know though. It is also destined for people wanting a career change, so I don't imagine they can be too biased based on past experience. Fingers crossed at least!

x
Reply 4
I was also worried about my lack of experience, however, i rang the Step Up team and they reassured me that even a tiny bit of experience is fine. I only have some experience in Primary Schools during short-term placements at uni.

Does anyone know what sort of things to write in the personal statement section? I feel i may just be repeating what i have said in the other sections!
Reply 5
Hi,
I have just finished this course. In answer to the questions, as long as you have got experience and can relate to social work with children and families then you should be fine. You will need to give examples about how your skills are transferable to this field of work. All of the people on my course had varying experiences and some much more than others, but we all brought something to the group. Good luck in applying!
Original post by nic.g
I was also worried about my lack of experience, however, i rang the Step Up team and they reassured me that even a tiny bit of experience is fine. I only have some experience in Primary Schools during short-term placements at uni.

Does anyone know what sort of things to write in the personal statement section? I feel i may just be repeating what i have said in the other sections!

I had issues in general with fitting everything I wanted to say into the qualitative questions/personal statement. In the end, I have decided that the assessors are likely to read all of the questions together so have tried not to repeat myself but take the extra room to make additional points. No idea if this is the right approach though!
Reply 7
Hi I recently found out about the step up to social work programme and wanted to know if anyone could tell me whether you have to have the degree at the time of applying ? Or can you be finishing the degree that year - ie wont know my grade when I apply
I've tried to look at the FAQ section on their cite to answer this but I'm guessing that it would mean I would have to wait an extra year before applying as I wouldn't technically know if I met the requirements until the 'next stage' :confused:
Reply 8
Hi I have just submitted my application to Bracknell Forest (eeeek!) and wondered if anyone knows anything about the assessment days - they sound pretty full on?!
jade...r I think it says on their website that you have to have a degree by the time of applying unfortunately...but i could be wrong.
Reply 9
Hi, im applying and finding the personal statement/qualitative questions a little hard. It says relate them to the PCF, this is just confusing me. Anyone else struggling?
I've just sent off my application for Southampton. I'm now going to try not to think about it too much until the end of May (try being the operative word).
AMW1111 I found the interactive flash version of the PCF on here very useful. Once I had written my answers, I checked whether I'd covered each aspect at some point and shown the "Entry" level descriptors. I didn't specifically refer to the PCF but I demonstrated each aspect in some way.
I'm applying from up North, have worked as a social work assistant for around 8 years so feel its time to progress and get qualified!

I wonder how many folk are invited to the assessment centres based on how many are offered a position?
Reply 12
I am just finishing my application too, applying to the North East.
I've taken a similar approach and looked at the PCF against my answers but like all of you its hard to get everything you want to say into such small word limits!
Does anyone know if you are able to use the Additional Information section to write a bit more about yourself and your experience? or have I misunderstood that section?
Hi, when you have spoke about why Step up to social work. does any body have any ideas ?
Reply 14
Hi there, you will be required to have your degree grade at the point of application.
Hi

Has anyone completed the additional information bit, and if so what did you put? Is there a word limit on that bit?
Original post by Millicent90
Hi

Has anyone completed the additional information bit, and if so what did you put? Is there a word limit on that bit?

I don't think there is a word limit. I wrote about an online course I did recently which I felt was relevant and some relevant work experience that I had which was longer than 3 years ago.
Given where it is in the application, I don't think it should be used as an overflow for the qualitative questions. It is more for additional experience.
Reply 17
Hi have finished my application apart from the employment section. I have been a stay at home mum for the past four years, but have a lot of experience prior to that. Anyone know if I can put that in the employment section? Or does it have to go in additional information, because it wasn't in the past three years? Andrea
Hello, I've applied for step up to social work too :smile:. Is it the 5th June we hear back? Thank you.
Hi everyone,
Just want to get involved in the group and have someone to panic along the way with. My background, 2.1 Psychology Bsc. 2 years working with Children in residential care and 2 years in Psychiatric hospital. 2 years voluntary work with vulnerable adults and children as well. I have applied for Hammersmith and Fulham, in London. Good luck to everyone that has applied!

Quick Reply

Latest