The Student Room Group

Undecided on A-Levels

Hello all, I'll try to keep this brief. For my A-level choices, next year, I decided to take Electronics, Physics, and Further Maths. However, now I am having second thoughts, I like all of the subjects above, however I am a bit worried about having four maths based subjects. Moreover, I have recently discovered a sudden interest in English Literature, I have an amazing teacher, so am considering taking that. Any help or advise on the subjects would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks for reading! :-)
Depends on what you want to do when you are older, but do whatever you enjoy more.
If it was me I would do English literature instead, because that way you have more of a variety of subjects rather than all maths base.
Do whatever you enjoy :smile:
Do physics, further maths and English lit then. No need to do both electronics and physics.
You could maybe do English lit instead of electronics, as you will have more options. Electronics is kind of an aspect of physics.
There's nothing wrong with taking four maths based A-levels if you like maths. I take four maths based ones as well as biology.

There's nothing wrong with your original choices. Do what you enjoy and are good at.
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies guys! I have always considered Electronics as a definite option as I really enjoy all of the course, what sort of things do you cover at A-level for physics? I've heard that it can get quite boring at some points in the syllabus, however I find the astronomy part very interesting. Urgh, decisions, decisions...
Original post by RoryEwan
Thanks for the replies guys! I have always considered Electronics as a definite option as I really enjoy all of the course, what sort of things do you cover at A-level for physics? I've heard that it can get quite boring at some points in the syllabus, however I find the astronomy part very interesting. Urgh, decisions, decisions...

I do OCR. In the first year we cover mechanics then move onto electricity snd then cover waves and some basic quantum phenomena.
In the second year we do more mechanics, then move onto electric and magnetic fields, a tiny bit more electricity, nuclear physics, medical imaging, then cosmology.

Quick Reply

Latest