The Student Room Group

22% similarity on turnitin... am i going to fail

So as the title says, the similarity report came back as 22%. I'm in 3rd year.

The only things that are flagging up as similar are statistical data, but i'm sure I referenced them all correctly. I emailed my tutor about it and I'm just waiting to hear back.

Basically I'm worried sick that they'll make me retake the unit and I won't be able to graduate in the summer as planned. What's the likelihood of me getting into big trouble over this? I'm worried sick.
Reply 1
As long as you have referenced them all correctly you should be fine :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by KA1995
As long as you have referenced them all correctly you should be fine :smile:

could it be that ive referenced incorrectly and thats why its flagged it up? I hate that bloody thing!
Reply 3
From when I've used it, I don't think it recognises referencing. I think it just flags up anything that's the same as other sites and then you tutor checks all the highlighted stuff is referenced. That's my experience, I've had things highlighted before, which I'd referenced, and I've never been pulled up for it.
Reply 4
I've just checked, what I just said is correct. If you type 'Turnitin answers to questions students ask' into google and click on the pdf it says it on there :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by KA1995
From when I've used it, I don't think it recognises referencing. I think it just flags up anything that's the same as other sites and then you tutor checks all the highlighted stuff is referenced. That's my experience, I've had things highlighted before, which I'd referenced, and I've never been pulled up for it.

ok thank you. I'll just wait and see what this tutor says and hope he's in a good mood! Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 6
No problem :smile:
Reply 7
hie guys sorry to post this here but I'm really panicking.I'm really really worried about my dissertation.I have never had to use turn it until today when i wanted to check my dissertation. Before i submitted my dissertation i checked it through on turnitin. Initially the similarity was 27% but when i removed quotes and the reference list it came up as 15%. My sources where mostly 1% similar but there was one that was 10% similar. i looked into the source that was 10% similar and noticed that it had also highlighted a lot of my footnotes. I there any need for me to worry?. I was only required to submit the hard copy of my dissertation so i did not have to submit anything on turnitin.
Reply 8
Original post by dofifa
hie guys sorry to post this here but I'm really panicking.I'm really really worried about my dissertation.I have never had to use turn it until today when i wanted to check my dissertation. Before i submitted my dissertation i checked it through on turnitin. Initially the similarity was 27% but when i removed quotes and the reference list it came up as 15%. My sources where mostly 1% similar but there was one that was 10% similar. i looked into the source that was 10% similar and noticed that it had also highlighted a lot of my footnotes. I there any need for me to worry?. I was only required to submit the hard copy of my dissertation so i did not have to submit anything on turnitin.

Was it a quote that you maybe didn't reference? I think you'll be alright. Incidentally I didn't fail this essay!

Posted from TSR Mobile
i ve submitted something with 30%+ before but had no problems as it mainly matched my referenced list ,if you know you didn't plagiarise anything then there's nothing to worry about:smile:
Relax. I got 27% once but it turned out 12% of that was just because i'd copied and pasted my own prior work to basically use the same structure. This meant that the title page and beginnings of sentences were showing up in it.
Reply 11
Thanks guys . It was highlighting my refrences so I guess it should be okay. I can calm down now .
Reply 12
Original post by dofifa
Thanks guys . It was highlighting my refrences so I guess it should be okay. I can calm down now .

Great stuff. Good luck with the result :smile:
I got 26% once and the bar was yellowy-orange. EVERYTHING highlighted was my references, it's so annoying. I doubt you'll be in trouble for it.
Hi can i ask you about the outcome of this issue? i have same percentage of similarity in my dissertation and I am very worried.
Reply 15
Original post by Shaziaal
Hi can i ask you about the outcome of this issue? i have same percentage of similarity in my dissertation and I am very worried.

The original poster hasn't been on TSR since 2015, so I doubt they will reply...

But the original advice they received still applies: assuming you referenced correctly you will be absolutely fine.

I'm closing this thread.

Latest

Trending

Trending