The Student Room Group

Why cannabis should be legalized.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by K///1*
Very true wendi, Its because they make billions off it, they will not legalize it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They'll never make alcohol illegal that's partially why the UK government has so much money because of the money they make from tax on alcoholic drinks. I just don't understand why they wouldn't make cannabis legal as it would be such a huge market as it is the most commonly used illegal drug in the UK? It would cause more benefit then trouble

Posted from TSR Mobile
My god I could write a book on this. I have so much to say I don't even where to start.

The police waste to much time/money catching people with small amount of weed or even large amounts...whats the point? Nothing is achieved.

We should AT LEAST follow the rules in Amsterdam...put everything illegal in one location, control it and tax it. This means people are not at risk by having to buy a unknown product from the same guy that also sells heroin, it means they know how much weed is grown, sold, bought and who is doing so etc. It also means no one under 18 can purchase it. Its so simple I don't understand how it couldn't happen.

Weed is NOT harmful but giving young bright people criminal records for having a gram is.

It is a WONDER plant when it comes to medical use. So many people in Britain could be taking advantage of the plant but are forced to use the more harmful drugs given to them by their doctor.
Original post by SnooFnoo
Brothels should also be legalised and regulated in my opinion. With panic buttons, std tests and customer regulation and avenues for working girls to leave the trade easily available to them should they so wish. I do believe they shouldn't be advertised so readily ala amsterdame style though.

why not? we'd be a more sexually liberal society that way, wouldn't we? at least over time
Brothels should also be legalised and regulated in my opinion. With panic buttons, std tests and customer regulation and avenues for working girls to leave the trade easily available to them should they so wish. I do believe they shouldn't be advertised so readily ala amsterdame style though.

It should be done the same way it is in Amsterdam, the girls basically run their own business. No pimps, its taxed and protection is mandatory.
Original post by Lemon Haze
My god I could write a book on this. I have so much to say I don't even where to start.

The police waste to much time/money catching people with small amount of weed or even large amounts...whats the point? Nothing is achieved.

We should AT LEAST follow the rules in Amsterdam...put everything illegal in one location, control it and tax it. This means people are not at risk by having to buy a unknown product from the same guy that also sells heroin, it means they know how much weed is grown, sold, bought and who is doing so etc. It also means no one under 18 can purchase it. Its so simple I don't understand how it couldn't happen.

Weed is NOT harmful but giving young bright people criminal records for having a gram is.

It is a WONDER plant when it comes to medical use. So many people in Britain could be taking advantage of the plant but are forced to use the more harmful drugs given to them by their doctor.

This. After a extremely scary experience with 'weed' that probably wasn't weed i am all for legalisation and regulation. It causes a lot more harm when people are made to interact with people who also sell crack...
Original post by zippity.doodah
why not? we'd be a more sexually liberal society that way, wouldn't we? at least over time

i totally agree with sexual liberation, however I don't think thAts achieved by shoving brothels in people's faces. I think that is achieved through education. And I think having woman,even if they choose to be prostitutes in windows , promotes superficial objectification as everyone and anyone can come and stare, atleast a referenced customer is paying for the privilege of that ladies time.

Basically the the same as license sex stores, clearly show on the door/windows it's a sex shop, but have the windows blacked out/coloured, there's absolutely no need for 15 inch black rubber dildos to be on display.
i totally agree with sexual liberation, however I don't think thAts achieved by shoving brothels in people's faces. I think that is achieved through education. And I think having woman,even if they choose to be prostitutes in windows , promotes superficial objectification as everyone and anyone can come and stare, atleast a referenced customer is paying for the privilege of that ladies time.

Basically the the same as license sex stores, clearly show on the door/windows it's a sex shop, but have the windows blacked out/coloured, there's absolutely no need for 15 inch black rubber dildos to be on display.

but by being eye-candy for horny strangers, surely they *are* being willingly objectified, as opposed to non-consensually objectified? surely consent is the most important thing? why is situational objectification so bad? in a society where women are, also, situationally, achieving highly as doctors, engineers, lawyers, etc, why would this be bad? there are also male strippers too, but, again, it's situational. sexually liberal societies don't extend occasional objectification to commodification~ and view women like the muslim cultures do (where there is *no* sexual liberation for women at all like, say, amsterdam~)
but by being eye-candy for horny strangers, surely they *are* being willingly objectified, as opposed to non-consensually objectified? surely consent is the most important thing? why is situational objectification so bad? in a society where women are, also, situationally, achieving highly as doctors, engineers, lawyers, etc, why would this be bad? there are also male strippers too, but, again, it's situational. sexually liberal societies don't extend occasional objectification to commodification~ and view women like the muslim cultures do (where there is *no* sexual liberation for women at all like, say, amsterdam~)

okay I do agree with you to a degree, however you would also have to factor in that it's simply not appropriate for some audiences and the public should also give consent to see such places/windows/women therefore brothels maybe better in a clearly marked/even gated area instead of randomly in towns.
Original post by K///1*
Please tell me your thoughts from London.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should be illegal. The taboo attached to it keeps a lot of people away.= more healthier people
okay I do agree with you to a degree, however you would also have to factor in that it's simply not appropriate for some audiences and the public should also give consent to see such places/windows/women therefore brothels maybe better in a clearly marked/even gated area instead of randomly in towns.

but surely freedom of speech isn't about comfort towards those that you are expressing views/images towards but rather the liberty of the expresser? if I wanted to go into a town and talk to passers-by about sex in a proselytising fashion, should I be sent to prison for it, for example? the people I encounter wouldn't have an option to avoid me until after they've learned I'm going to talk about sex, so that's surely the same as the ethics of this kind of thing assuming this other example is perfectly legal?
Reply 30
to me, if you want to abuse your body, or take risks, and your choice doesn't directly harm or damage anybody else without their consent, then you should be free to do whatever the hell you want. therefore, not only weed should be legal, but also coke, heroin, MD, LSD, schrooms etc should also be legal. what's the difference in principle? some are more dangerous than others? but also technically more pleasurable? well then, we as adults have choices and responsibilities to uphold as free and rational agents, and that is what makes freedom what it is - it isn't a guarantee of flourishing, but rather it is dignifying and respectful to leave us to our own opinions and decisions, as opposed to having a government tell us what to do as if we're mere children

From your argument a supermarket for example should be allowed to stay open and face no liability for death or injury if there's a collapsing ceiling and tiger loose in the shop as long as there's a warning because you would be making a decision to endanger yourself as a consenting adult.

Also it would make us look like quite a regressive country if we abandoned public safety laws and legalised all drugs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Queen Victoria was the greatest drug dealer in the world and made a ton of money selling opium to China and it still goes on today just covertly.

The opium was banned in China because its citizens became addicted and sedated causing all sorts of economical problems.

The addictive drugs (Almost all?) deserve to be banned for the greater good of the people.
Original post by Wade-
From your argument a supermarket for example should be allowed to stay open and face no liability for death or injury if there's a collapsing ceiling and tiger loose in the shop as long as there's a warning because you would be making a decision to endanger yourself as a consenting adult.

Also it would make us look like quite a regressive country if we abandoned public safety laws and legalised all drugs

Posted from TSR Mobile

but surely a collapsing ceiling is bad for business/profits in general if it's going to steer away potential consumers? and surely a collapsing ceiling is going to harm your own employees/merchandise? and surely people wouldn't go anywhere near a shop where they are having to accept responsibility for death/injury just for shopping there? well I guess they'd have to weigh up their chances of going in when the ceiling is going to collapse - maybe they'd need to ask about that statistic before entering - if people are consenting to go surfing where they might get mauled by a shark, or they're consenting to go motorbike riding when they might crash and die, there isn't really a difference in the principles here.
but surely freedom of speech isn't about comfort towards those that you are expressing views/images towards but rather the liberty of the expresser? if I wanted to go into a town and talk to passers-by about sex in a proselytising fashion, should I be sent to prison for it, for example? the people I encounter wouldn't have an option to avoid me until after they've learned I'm going to talk about sex, so that's surely the same as the ethics of this kind of thing assuming this other example is perfectly legal?

i don't ever think it's right for children to be exposed to anything of a sexual nature. Nor do I feel the public should be forced into accepting what isn't really the norm/required.

Eg I'm a fetishist and do I go to clubs wearing certain attire that others wouldn't like, yes, do I feel like I should be able to wear what I like when ever I want and not care what people think-its perfectly legal after all-in an ideal world yes I do, however shocking the public by going out in full pvc catsuits in the middle of a city is not the way to do it. Yes it's just clothing, but it's highly sexualised clothing not appropriate for children to see ever. Adults can do as they wish, children shouldn't be exposed to these things until they're of age. If an adult wants to go to a brothel, be my guest, but it shouldn't be so publically displayed that children see it imo hence the marked/gated area.
Reply 34
Original post by study_smart786
Should be illegal. The taboo attached to it keeps a lot of people away.= more healthier people

Sure, but you don't have to have it with tobacco.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i don't ever think it's right for children to be exposed to anything of a sexual nature. Nor do I feel the public should be forced into accepting what isn't really the norm/required.

listening to people talk about concepts you don't appreciate doesn't harm or damage you, though - that's why freedom of speech is a thing - words don't hurt people (unless maybe words intimidated people into acting in a self-damaging nature, like yelling at someone where a trains coming, causing them, perhaps, to accidentally fall onto the tracks in a predictable way, etc). and why is the concept of a child realising what sex is harmful? why is that the responsibility of the advertiser? why should they have to play the role of society's parent?

Eg I'm a fetishist and do I go to clubs wearing certain attire that others wouldn't like, yes, do I feel like I should be able to wear what I like when ever I want and not care what people think-its perfectly legal after all-in an ideal world yes I do, however shocking the public by going out in full pvc catsuits in the middle of a city is not the way to do it. Yes it's just clothing, but it's highly sexualised clothing not appropriate for children to see ever. Adults can do as they wish, children shouldn't be exposed to these things until they're of age. If an adult wants to go to a brothel, be my guest, but it shouldn't be so publically displayed that children see it imo hence the marked/gated area.

yeah but you aren't forced to not wear those kinds of articles, at least you wouldn't in a free society - that's you're choosing what to wear in a self-regulating fashion, probably for your own sake in terms of embarrassment-avoidance. by the way, I'm not saying, necessarily, that brothels *should* advertise their facilities, although I wouldn't necessarily have an issue with it if it causes a more sexually open-minded society. I am simply saying that freedom of speech would make it legal. "appropriateness" wouldn't cause speech to become illegal; sneezing near someone or farting near them isn't appropriate but I doubt those things are illegal, probably because (at least I can highly assume) they do not cause damage or harm, just like seeing people in "alternative" forms of dress. if a child sees something of a sexual nature, what will happen other than them having knowledge of natural processes (like sexual intercourse)? just because parents don't want them to see it, it doesn't mean freedom of speech as a principle should be negated - schools might tell kids things their parents disagree with, but so what? it's a parents choice or responsibility to "re-educate" them if they are concerned to that kind of level
(edited 9 years ago)
listening to people talk about concepts you don't appreciate doesn't harm or damage you, though - that's why freedom of speech is a thing - words don't hurt people (unless maybe words intimidated people into acting in a self-damaging nature, like yelling at someone where a trains coming, causing them, perhaps, to accidentally fall onto the tracks in a predictable way, etc). and why is the concept of a child realising what sex is harmful? why is that the responsibility of the advertiser? why should they have to play the role of society's parent? yeah but you aren't forced to not wear those kinds of articles, at least you wouldn't in a free society - that's you're choosing what to wear in a self-regulating fashion, probably for your own sake in terms of embarrassment-avoidance. by the way, I'm not saying, necessarily, that brothels *should* advertise their facilities, although I wouldn't necessarily have an issue with it if it causes a more sexually open-minded society. I am simply saying that freedom of speech would make it legal. "appropriateness" wouldn't cause speech to become illegal; sneezing near someone or farting near them isn't appropriate but I doubt those things are illegal, probably because (at least I can highly assume) they do not cause damage or harm, just like seeing people in "alternative" forms of dress. if a child sees something of a sexual nature, what will happen other than them having knowledge of natural processes (like sexual intercourse)? just because parents don't want them to see it, it doesn't mean freedom of speech as a principle should be negated - schools might tell kids things their parents disagree with, but so what? it's a parents choice or responsibility to "re-educate" them if they are concerned to that kind of level

super sleepy so I'll respond properly tomorrow but just wanted to say, definitely not embarrassed wearing Fet gear in public. I look smokin' and I know it :wink:
Original post by K///1*
Sure, but you don't have to have it with tobacco.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tabacco isnt much of the problem .. its the addictive nature of it that is of concern to me
I love smoking dope, I'm not going to lie. But everyone knows stoners, can you imagine more of these?

It isn't hard to get hold of, it is fairly cheap, and if you're smoking it in public or dealing you probably deserve to be arrested anyway, so there is no need for it to be legalised i my humble opinion.
Reply 39
Original post by study_smart786
Tabacco isnt much of the problem .. its the addictive nature of it that is of concern to me

The only addictive nature is your mind. A strong mind is never influenced; a weak mind is. Weed isn't bad, government has put the negative thoughts into the minds in society. It is the people that abuse the products and then blame it was the weed. Too much of everything is bad for you, take in intervals .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest