The Student Room Group

Can you live off the min student loan if you are unable to work at uni?

Can you live off the min student loan if you are unable to work at uni? Assuming no parental support in this area.

Scroll to see replies

Only if you live in a place where you don't need to pay rent e.g. parents home/relatives.
Original post by Pink Boy
Only if you live in a place where you don't need to pay rent e.g. parents home/relatives.

No I mean while living at uni... household income has recently gone up and family refusing to contribute to living costs.
Original post by Sylar2010
No I mean while living at uni... household income has recently gone up and family refusing to contribute to living costs.

In that case, you'll be lucky if you can pay off your rent with your minimum student loan, nevermind food.

Consider looking at scholarships & bursaries at your uni, but even then that will not be sufficient.

Why have you ruled out a job at uni?
I get max loan and found it hard! Look into getting an overdraft maybe?
Reply 5
Original post by Pink Boy
In that case, you'll be lucky if you can pay off your rent with your minimum student loan, nevermind food.

Consider looking at scholarships & bursaries at your uni, but even then that will not be sufficient.

Why have you ruled out a job at uni?

I'm assuming they're doing a medical course if they're unable to work.

At OP unless your university offers you a substantial bursary or scholarship, or if you don't need to pay rent then no it won't be possible. I recommend you see if you can defer a year and work in the mean time to save up, and work over the summers.
Original post by keladry
I'm assuming they're doing a medical course if they're unable to work.

At OP unless your university offers you a substantial bursary or scholarship, or if you don't need to pay rent then no it won't be possible. I recommend you see if you can defer a year and work in the mean time to save up, and work over the summers.

I am unable to work due to my health and ASSUME we are now due to recent household income changes in the higher bracket but at this point it's just an assumption.
Reply 7
I am unable to work due to my health and ASSUME we are now due to recent household income changes in the higher bracket but at this point it's just an assumption.

Okay fair enough.

Well if you do get the minimum, unless you save up a couple of thousand AT LEAST in the mean time, no you won't be able to live off the minimum.
Original post by keladry
Okay fair enough.

Well if you do get the minimum, unless you save up a couple of thousand AT LEAST in the mean time, no you won't be able to live off the minimum.

Dear god how can they not give everyone enough to live on? I literally can't save I live on benefits and my parents refuse to support uni fiscally. Here's hoping it works out ok with SF as I have no idea what my parents income is as yet I just know it's gone up recently.
Reply 9
Dear god how can they not give everyone enough to live on? I literally can't save I live on benefits and my parents refuse to support uni fiscally. Here's hoping it works out ok with SF as I have no idea what my parents income is as yet I just know it's gone up recently.

Wait so you live off benefits? Or do your parents?
Original post by keladry
Wait so you live off benefits? Or do your parents?

Myself yes, but it's based on household income is it not?
Reply 11
Myself yes, but it's based on household income is it not?

Are you financially independent from your parents? And if so for how long? If its 3 years or more you can get assessed on just your income. However I don't know the rest of the criteria so best to call student finance to ask.
Original post by keladry
Are you financially independent from your parents? And if so for how long? If its 3 years or more you can get assessed on just your income. However I don't know the rest of the criteria so best to call student finance to ask.

No I am not they pay bills etc, food and the like.
Reply 13
No I am not they pay bills etc, food and the like.

Then what do use your benefit money for? If you don't need it to contribute you could try to start saving it up?
Original post by keladry
Then what do use your benefit money for? If you don't need it to contribute you could try to start saving it up?

I do contribute just benefits don't cover the contributions normally expected. I pay rent etc and college related costs.
Can you live off the min student loan if you are unable to work at uni? Assuming no parental support in this area.

No, not unless you literally do nothing apart from live and study. I got the min loans and they didn't cover my accommodation. My parents gave me £100 a month, I worked full time in the holidays and I still was in £2000 of overdraft when I finished uni. It's very very hard. Why don't you just get a job now until you start instead of using benefits???
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Physflop
No, not unless you literally do nothing apart from live and study. I got the min loans and they didn't cover my accommodation. My parents gave me £100 a month, I worked full time in the holidays and I still was in £2000 of overdraft when I finished uni. It's very very hard. Why don't you just get a job now until you start instead of using benefits???

Basically can't because I am on benefits for my health. Don't even have a bank that does overdrafts family is never in debt.
Basically can't because I am on benefits for my health. Don't even have a bank that does overdrafts family is never in debt.

Well go and open a student bank account with an overdraft then? If you're on benefits because of health and can't work then is there much point going to uni because how are you going to be able to work after your degree?
Original post by Physflop
Well go and open a student bank account with an overdraft then? If you're on benefits because of health and can't work then is there much point going to uni because how are you going to be able to work after your degree?

More than one reason to go to uni my friend. And they base it on "equal ability to compete in the job market".
More than one reason to go to uni my friend. And they base it on "equal ability to compete in the job market".

What? You go to uni to get a degree in someone you want to do as a career. So if your health means you can't work then surely you wont be able to work after uni either? So why bother?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending