The Student Room Group

Algebraic Fractions (GCSE)

Stuck on a question from a MathsWatch worksheet. I am aware this is a cubic but I have no idea what to do with it. MathsWatch says the answer is 2.75 but I don't know how to get there. Could someone be an angel and point me in the right direction? :colondollar:

Solve:

3x+2+1x2=7x24\dfrac{3}{x+2} + \dfrac{1}{x-2} = \dfrac{7}{x^2-4}
Original post by QPRTeags
Stuck on a question from a MathsWatch worksheet. I am aware this is a cubic but I have no idea what to do with it. MathsWatch says the answer is 2.75 but I don't know how to get there. Could someone be an angel and point me in the right direction? :colondollar:

Solve:

Unless I'm missing something, you can simplify the RHS on line 3 =(7x24)(x2)(x+2)=\left ( \dfrac{7}{x^2-4} \right ) (x-2)(x+2).
(edited 9 years ago)

Solve:

If you know how to add number fractions, then apply the same method to the left hand side of the question

3x+2+1x2=3(x2)+1(x+2)(x+2)(x2))\frac{3}{x+2}+\frac{1}{x-2}=\frac{3(x-2)+1(x+2)}{(x+2)(x-2))}

Does that help?

Solve:

Sorry _ I hadn't seen your workings.

If you expand the denominator of the LHS you will see that it equals that of the RHS. So numerators must be equal too.

Quick Reply

Latest