The Student Room Group

So. How do you think DDoS attacks will develop over time?

Anyone who has experience in the computer networking field is aware that DDoS attacks are a big thing, they can potentially ruin businesses if not counter-measured effectively.
To an extent, they are easy to initiate (depending on the sophistication), these attacks can also be purchased.

Do you believe that the future of DDoS attacks will advance? Will attackers will aim to compromise the SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) of a network?

Or do you have any other thoughts on how they could progress?

Discuss.

Note: This is for my dissertation, feedback will be much appreciated.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PeteLanceley
Anyone who has experience in the computer networking field is aware that DDoS attacks are a big thing, they can potentially ruin businesses if not counter-measured effectively.
To an extent, they are easy to initiate (depending on the sophistication), these attacks can also be purchased.

Do you believe that the future of DDoS attacks will advance? Will attackers will aim to compromise the SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) of a network?

Discuss.

SNMP amplification is a possibility so that's already compromised.
There's always loopholes. Also the internet is flawed anyway.. To an extent that is.
Reply 2
DDoS attacks will grow arithmetically as Internet connection speeds get better. For example, DDoS attacks launched by botnets use the victims internet connection to send the attack. The attack sent will never be more powerful than the victims internet upload speeds. So, if in the future everyone had upload speeds of 5GB/s then you can image just how powerful an attack from one person can be. But, if everyone had 5GB/s it also means that websites will have very fast speeds to match the average consumers upload/download speeds.

It's just like in the early 21st century, DDoS attacks were still feared because most connections could upload like 56kb/s and most web servers could handle an amount slightly greater than 56kb if you get what I mean?

However, DDoS attacks that are launched using amplification methods are more dangerous because they can generate larger spoofed traffic and whatnot. The thing is, DDoS attacks are inevitable, you just have to go to great lengths to mitigate it.

Discuss.

P.S. it might be worth looking into AI?
Reply 4
Original post by Binary Freak
P.S. it might be worth looking into AI?

AI machines detecting DDoS attacks? I'm curious as to how that would work. It's not users can send their Intent in the body of every Http request they make. :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Async
AI machines detecting DDoS attacks? I'm curious as to how that would work. It's not users can send their Intent in the body of every Http request they make. :tongue:

Yeah.. It goes without saying that it'd make a brilliant dissertation topic. I was thinking of doing something along the lines of this for my second year project. But mostly on statistical analysis :tongue:
Reply 6
Yeah.. It goes without saying that it'd make a brilliant dissertation topic. I was thinking of doing something along the lines of this for my second year project. But mostly on statistical analysis :tongue:

The university life sounds like lots of fun ahaha, especially the dissertation. If I make it to uni next year then I'd also like to do something like AI with preventing DDoS attacks( if that's even possible).. Anyway let me not go off topic.
Original post by Async
The university life sounds like lots of fun ahaha, especially the dissertation. If I make it to uni next year then I'd also like to do something like AI with preventing DDoS attacks( if that's even possible).. Anyway let me not go off topic.

I was under the impression that you're already at university? You'll make it though! Where are you aiming for? Just think of heuristics. It isn't quite AI but it is pushing the boundaries somewhat

He did say discuss :wink:
My topic is about hacking groups and how they use DDoS attacks to attack companies & general users Also moves on to the damage implications which are caused because of these attacks. Created two questionnaires which are aimed towards a general user; to a business point-of-view. They reflect their current security which they have in place, and what types of attacks they have experienced. To finish, had a Q&A with a guy who works for an ISP who was willing to shread some light on his day-to-day experiences, etc.

Looking to finish on how these attacks could develop, and grow to be more dangerous in years to come.

With absolutely no help from my dissertation tutor, it's been tough. Cannot wait to leave this University aha, I've lost hope.
Reply 9
I was under the impression that you're already at university? You'll make it though! Where are you aiming for? Just think of heuristics. It isn't quite AI but it is pushing the boundaries somewhat

He did say discuss :wink:

Yeah everyone thinks I'm at university, but I'm not. I was thinking someone along the lines of heuristics, decision tree and neural networks.

And what do you mean by what am I aiming for?
Original post by Async
Yeah everyone thinks I'm at university, but I'm not. I was thinking someone along the lines of heuristics, decision tree and neural networks.

And what do you mean by what am I aiming for?

Suppose it's all the programming? You must enjoy it a lot! Very interesting actually! :gthumb:

What university.. Assuming you're in Y12?
Reply 11
My topic is about hacking groups and how they use DDoS attacks to attack companies & general users Also moves on to the damage implications which are caused because of these attacks. Created two questionnaires which are aimed towards a general user; to a business point-of-view. They reflect their current security which they have in place, and what types of attacks they have experienced. To finish, had a Q&A with a guy who works for an ISP who was willing to shread some light on his day-to-day experiences, etc.

Looking to finish on how these attacks could develop, and grow to be more dangerous in years to come.

With absolutely no help from my dissertation tutor, it's been tough. Cannot wait to leave this University aha, I've lost hope.

Watch these YouTube videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhA9PAfkJ10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTKjHWkDwP0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzgsT-_GC4Q

and especially this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZqi41fJfBs

it will help you understand DDoS attacks better, and consequently help give a more detailed dissertation.
I know what they are. I've been doing Computer Networking for 4 years, I was just looking for a discussion to see if anyone had any theories which I could add to my research :smile:.

Appreciate the videos though, I'll have a look over them.
Reply 13
Suppose it's all the programming? You must enjoy it a lot! Very interesting actually! :gthumb:

What university.. Assuming you're in Y12?

Yes I'm in Y12, and yes I do enjoy computer science as a whole especially especially programming. I'd prefer not to publicly post the universities I'm applying for here, I'd rather send you that via PM as i'm very cautious of my online security and private data lol.
Original post by Async
Yes I'm in Y12, and yes I do enjoy computer science as a whole especially especially programming. I'd prefer not to publicly post the universities I'm applying for here, I'd rather send you that via PM as i'm very cautious of my online security and private data lol.

Gotta take those precautions I guess :smile:
Reply 15
I know what they are. I've been doing Computer Networking for 4 years, I was just looking for a discussion to see if anyone had any theories which I could add to my research :smile:.

Ahhh I see. Honestly, business could do more to protect themselves against DDoS attacks though. A service like CloudFlare is always a good start at preventing DDoS attacks. Routing through proxies on your webserver is also a good way to concealing your IP address in order to prevent DDoS attacks. I heard Prolexic is good at DDoS protection lol.

Honestly, I'm not much of a networking guru, I'm a programmer lol. Sorry that's all I have to contribute.

Why not take the typical route of packet analysis? Bust out a packet sniffer/analyzer? Understand the messages that SNMP sends.. Understand how it actually works.. Assuming SNMP is your primary focus.
It's all good man, thanks for your input.

Good luck on your University future; you'll love it. Make the most of your first year, because after that, that's why shiz gets serious; something I learnt the hard way from haha.
Why not take the typical route of packet analysis? Bust out a packet sniffer/analyzer? Understand the messages that SNMP sends.. Understand how it actually works.. Assuming SNMP is your primary focus.

To be honest with you man, I would do that. But my hand-in is on Wednesday at 4pm and I still have loads to do haha.

lastminute.com.
To be honest with you man, I would do that. But my hand-in is on Wednesday at 4pm and I still have loads to do haha.

lastminute.com.

:lolwut:

Btter get looking at those research papers and journals then :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending