The Student Room Group

Higher Biology

Ceasging higher biology is hard! I need to get a B in this subject :frown: and i got 49% in the prelim, what i hate about biology is that its too much to learn! Is there any ways i could memorise for biology :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by haa87
Ceasging higher biology is hard! I need to get a B in this subject :frown: and i got 49% in the prelim, what i hate about biology is that its too much to learn! Is there any ways i could memorise for biology :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, don't worry. Your prelim mark does not matter as it is average to improve by 15% or so between the prelims and real exams. This is mainly down to the fact that prelims are at a very awkward point in the course and are all crammed into 2 weeks, giving you little time to study for them. Hence most people don't perform to their full potential.

As for memorising the course, here are a few tips:

- Break the units down into chunks and do practise questions for each topic.
- Focus on complex areas such as metabolic processes by drawing flow charts & diagrams.
- Past papers are your friends. Do them all.
Are you doing the new higher or the old higher? The new higher looks really different to the old one so I'm glad I'm not doing that haha.

What I've found with biology is you can know all the stuff and not do as well as you hoped if you haven't practiced past papers. The mark schemes are so specific so make sure you look at them. Revision guides are also really useful as the textbooks often go into way too much detail whereas the revision guides contain the key facts. Problem solving is also something which sounds easy but can be quite difficult if you haven't practiced and they're easy marks once you know how to use them.
Reply 3
Original post by ashleymacleod
Are you doing the new higher or the old higher? The new higher looks really different to the old one so I'm glad I'm not doing that haha.

What I've found with biology is you can know all the stuff and not do as well as you hoped if you haven't practiced past papers. The mark schemes are so specific so make sure you look at them. Revision guides are also really useful as the textbooks often go into way too much detail whereas the revision guides contain the key facts. Problem solving is also something which sounds easy but can be quite difficult if you haven't practiced and they're easy marks once you know how to use them.

Thank you! Im doing the old higher, i have been revising alot of problem solving questions they are just really hard haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone got any essay question predictions for the old higher? :smile: finding it hard to consolidate every potential essay question right now
Original post by haa87
Posted from TSR Mobile

I've not tried it out yet, but someone said they remember acronyms and letters. Personally, I remember diagrams and pictures. Rewriting things out helps too, but I only do it with the stuff I can't remember at all, for example DNA replication. Also, making flashcards might help you! I made flashcards for National 5 Biology last year and it really helped me! Contrary to what everyone says, past papers don't really help me at all. They help a little bit but not a lot. I need to learn the genetics part of unit 2, it's the only part of the course that I struggle with! Hope this helps!
Anyone doing the new higher biology?? Doesn't seem like many people are doing it at all
Original post by haa87
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, what I find really helpful is rewriting my notes, making mindmaps and posters and sticking them up all over my house like my kitchen. I broke down the course into all the sub units and topics. When I do past papers I go through them after and analyse them. So I've identified my weakest and strongest areas and then I revise the sub unit that I didn't do as well in. After each sub unit that I revise I do tons of questions and exercises particularly on that section to make sure I've got it!
I also recommend using Heriot Watts Scholar. You need a username and password. Try get one from your school, if you can't get one message me and I'll give you mine. Another good website - just google Open Assess Solar, it's great! Good luck!
Im really worried about the essay questions..havent revised them at ALL!! :frown:
If anyone's got predictions that would be great!
also any tips would be great as i am running out of time to prepare

on another note, does anyone have a website or something in which i can practice unit 3 questions, ive got a unit 3 prelim coming up!
(Im doing the old higher if your wondering!)
Thanks!
Original post by HiddenNinja01
Im really worried about the essay questions..havent revised them at ALL!! :frown:
If anyone's got predictions that would be great!
also any tips would be great as i am running out of time to prepare

on another note, does anyone have a website or something in which i can practice unit 3 questions, ive got a unit 3 prelim coming up!
(Im doing the old higher if your wondering!)
Thanks!

Websites - open assess solar
Herriot watts scholar
BBC bite size archive for old higher

For revision I find writing essays really helpful cause it doesn't just help with the essay writing side but also helps you to review the whole topic and work out what you know and don't know.

Good luck
Reply 10
Hey I am an A level biology student. I would suggest that you try to understand the concepts behind each of the topics, and then learn to answers exam specific questions.
1)buy a revision guide from CGP which was made for your exam board and level of study.

2) Watch some biology related videos from bozman science on youtube, on each of the topics that are in the textbook to try and get your head around the concepts. For example there may be topics on evolution, the heart, ext.

3)read though the revision guide and take notes of things which look important, my advice would be for GCSE to condense the page down to about 5 lines.

4)practice exams can be found online, I don't know what your exam board is, but if you search past papers for your exam board you will find them. Your teacher will show you how to get past papers up if you ask. Do past papers then go though them checking your answers, continue this until you achieve the grade you want.

5) A concept may come up which you don't understand, or can't seem to get your head around, in this instance consult a teacher. For example you may simply not understand why geographical isolation can cause evolution.
Original post by rachelbowden
Websites - open assess solar
Herriot watts scholar
BBC bite size archive for old higher

For revision I find writing essays really helpful cause it doesn't just help with the essay writing side but also helps you to review the whole topic and work out what you know and don't know.

Good luck

Thanks for the reply!, i will have to make time to do all of this
:s-smilie:
Thanks for the reply!, i will have to make time to do all of this
:s-smilie:

It's hard to find time to get everything you need done but it so so worth it! try making a list of all of your priorities. Spending a little time getting all your time under control is really beneficial too. Just make sure you don't do so much that you make yourself ill - that certainly isn't worth it!
It's hard to find time to get everything you need done but it so so worth it! try making a list of all of your priorities. Spending a little time getting all your time under control is really beneficial too. Just make sure you don't do so much that you make yourself ill - that certainly isn't worth it!

Once again thanks for the support, this has probably been the hardest year (5th year)...and i ran out of motivation half way, i was way more motivated to do work last year!
But i will try my best and see what happens...
im also in the need of getting 3-5 A's by the end of 5th year...but so far i dont think ill be succeeding with the amount of time i have left! :frown:
Once again thanks for the support, this has probably been the hardest year (5th year)...and i ran out of motivation half way, i was way more motivated to do work last year!
But i will try my best and see what happens...
im also in the need of getting 3-5 A's by the end of 5th year...but so far i dont think ill be succeeding with the amount of time i have left! :frown:

Remember you still have study leave. If you just manage your time and come up with a timetable you will be fine. You have more time than you think! Download the SQA app or google this website called get revising, they're both good for helping you come up with a study timetable. Are you doing old or new Highers?
Remember you still have study leave. If you just manage your time and come up with a timetable you will be fine. You have more time than you think! Download the SQA app or google this website called get revising, they're both good for helping you come up with a study timetable. Are you doing old or new Highers?

Its the old higher
Reply 16
Hey, what I find really helpful is rewriting my notes, making mindmaps and posters and sticking them up all over my house like my kitchen. I broke down the course into all the sub units and topics. When I do past papers I go through them after and analyse them. So I've identified my weakest and strongest areas and then I revise the sub unit that I didn't do as well in. After each sub unit that I revise I do tons of questions and exercises particularly on that section to make sure I've got it!
I also recommend using Heriot Watts Scholar. You need a username and password. Try get one from your school, if you can't get one message me and I'll give you mine. Another good website - just google Open Assess Solar, it's great! Good luck!

Thank you very much! Yeah I've made mindmaps for biology cause they help me the most and ive stucked it around my walls! :smile: I got the heriot watt scholar password i think I'll give it a try and work on it this afternoon! Thank you :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Rainbownightlock
Hey, don't worry. Your prelim mark does not matter as it is average to improve by 15% or so between the prelims and real exams. This is mainly down to the fact that prelims are at a very awkward point in the course and are all crammed into 2 weeks, giving you little time to study for them. Hence most people don't perform to their full potential.

As for memorising the course, here are a few tips:

- Break the units down into chunks and do practise questions for each topic.
- Focus on complex areas such as metabolic processes by drawing flow charts & diagrams.
- Past papers are your friends. Do them all.

Yeah i agree i came back from holiday and the next i had all my prelims which was stressfull haha! Yeah i brought how to pass higher biology book and it makes more sense than the textbook! Thank you
Reply 18
Original post by ashleymacleod

Yeah im working on my problem solving bit the most its so boring :frown: and yeah i made like a huge list of inportant stuff im supoose to know from this revision book :smile: and ive been watching lots of biology videos as while writing down notes.
Reply 19
Original post by liamb80
Hey I am an A level biology student. I would suggest that you try to understand the concepts behind each of the topics, and then learn to answers exam specific questions.
1)buy a revision guide from CGP which was made for your exam board and level of study.

2) Watch some biology related videos from bozman science on youtube, on each of the topics that are in the textbook to try and get your head around the concepts. For example there may be topics on evolution, the heart, ext.

3)read though the revision guide and take notes of things which look important, my advice would be for GCSE to condense the page down to about 5 lines.

4)practice exams can be found online, I don't know what your exam board is, but if you search past papers for your exam board you will find them. Your teacher will show you how to get past papers up if you ask. Do past papers then go though them checking your answers, continue this until you achieve the grade you want.

5) A concept may come up which you don't understand, or can't seem to get your head around, in this instance consult a teacher. For example you may simply not understand why geographical isolation can cause evolution.

Omg thank you very much for that biology YouTube guy (bozman) he explains things so well :smile: i understand photosynthesis so well now

Quick Reply

Latest