The Student Room Group

26, back at uni, and depressed that others have a better life

I am 26 and recently went back to University to continue studying. I will be at university for another 7 years or so probably as I want to get onto a doctorates degree afterwards.

I have a history of depression, on and off. The fact I am facing a while at university yet and all of my friends are qualified lawyers or doctors etc has been tugging at my anxiety and depression quite a bit by I have been managing.

However, I recently started dating a girl (who is 27), and recently graduated as a doctor (little under a year ago). Since graduating she is finding life so much easier than the life of a student and seems a lot lot more confdient. She bought a BMW, she has already gone on two holidays and life seems amazing for her. It reminds me of the fact that my life is university, and that I won't get to experience the same pleasures she does for a long time yet which really depresses me.

I know I shouldn't compare myself to her or anyone, and I probably am infact projecting my idea of what it must be like for her, when in reality it is different (she works 10+ hours a day, sometimes everyday where I have the luxury of staying in bed all day and studying!).

Anyway, it has really knocked me, and made me feel how happier everyone else is compared to my life. It also makes me feel, if I had been more sure of what I wanted to do earlier, I would be in the same situatino she is in now, but I'm not becuase I only recently decided what I really want from life (in the past I did music, and nutrition).

Anyones advice, ideas or support would be great.
Past is past, focus on the present.
What university do you go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I can totally understand where you're coming from.

When it comes down to it though, you made the decision to go back to uni. It was evidently more important for you to be back in uni doing a subject that you love, than having some kind of career where you're earning money & can take holidays etc. You could be doing a job you don't like very much now, but you made the choice to do something you want to do. You weighed up the pros and cons and that's what you came up with.

It's unfortunate that you didn't know immediately what you wanted to do, but your previous experience has no doubt helped you grow as a person and you can draw on what you've learnt so far & general life/study skills to make a real success of this time back at uni. It's hard not to compare yourself to other people but it's kind of defeatist too. You will get there, just like everyone else, and have the money and the holidays etc. And the bonus is, you'll be doing it in a career you like and have chosen.

I don't know if this helps at all - but good luck.
Feel the same tbh, 23 year old woman though. We're in these situations because of difficulties we've faced so don't be so hard on yourself.

Also clearly you're still very much attractive because you have your gf!

Just enjoy your degree and try your best not to compare yourself to others when the comparison isn't fair!
Original post by AspiringMedic8
What university do you go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol are you seriously checking his credentials?
Original post by Anonymous
I am 26 and recently went back to University to continue studying. I will be at university for another 7 years or so probably as I want to get onto a doctorates degree afterwards.

I have a history of depression, on and off. The fact I am facing a while at university yet and all of my friends are qualified lawyers or doctors etc has been tugging at my anxiety and depression quite a bit by I have been managing.

However, I recently started dating a girl (who is 27), and recently graduated as a doctor (little under a year ago). Since graduating she is finding life so much easier than the life of a student and seems a lot lot more confdient. She bought a BMW, she has already gone on two holidays and life seems amazing for her. It reminds me of the fact that my life is university, and that I won't get to experience the same pleasures she does for a long time yet which really depresses me.

I know I shouldn't compare myself to her or anyone, and I probably am infact projecting my idea of what it must be like for her, when in reality it is different (she works 10+ hours a day, sometimes everyday where I have the luxury of staying in bed all day and studying!).

Anyway, it has really knocked me, and made me feel how happier everyone else is compared to my life. It also makes me feel, if I had been more sure of what I wanted to do earlier, I would be in the same situatino she is in now, but I'm not becuase I only recently decided what I really want from life (in the past I did music, and nutrition).

Anyones advice, ideas or support would be great.

My advice to you is...

Do not compare your chapter one to somebody else's chapter 20. Focus on your own journey ahead, if your mind is busy thinking about pointless things you cannot change then you will only be limiting yourself and wasting precious time.

Good luck with your studies!
Reply 7
Wait, you are going back to university? Are you doing a second undergraduate degree, before doing postgraduate studies in the new subject ?

Quick Reply

Latest