The Student Room Group

Why are girls attracted to older men in position of power?

The number of times I'm heard women how they fancy their bosses, professors, doctors... Basically any half-decent looking guy in a powerful/dominant position is insta magnet. Was recently reading a thread where some woman complained about how her husband was a teacher and he had a group of teenage girls hang around his house after school hours pretty much every day lol. WTF?
It's their looks as well, if you get some fat middle aged bald guy in a status of power girls wouldn't bother. I think it's the appeal of experience they have kind of like the cougar sexy Middle aged woman thing. Girls express their feelings more though I.e hanging around his house kind of like chasing a boyband ha.
Maybe it's because men with a career show they have some control over their lives, some stability. They know what they want. :dontknow:

Or... money :colone:
Original post by Carpe Vinum
Maybe it's because men with a career show they have some control over their lives, some stability. They know what they want. :dontknow:

Or... money :colone:

Yea I guess young girls tend to want money when they are students etc. it's interesting as these days women can earn it themselves as they get older unlike the old days. It kind of messes with the 'man provides the resources' ideology.
Reply 4
Picture someone who doesn't have a job they can't be bothered , they don't have hobbies ,drive ,do anything
There not depressed their just lazy you go to their house and its the 10th day they have been lying in bed with netflix wearing the same pjamas. they have jam stains on them and a bag of bread lying on the floor that they have been eating instead of cooking.
When you get there they ask you of they can borrow money cos they need to pay rent.
Would you want to date this person?

Think of someone who's the opposite
Their a go-getter successful in their career they have goals and they make these happen , they are respected and they respect themselfs, they are capable of getting what they want and act like man not a lazy kid

Two opposite ends of the scale but who sounds more attractive?
(edited 9 years ago)
From a psychological perspective: Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

From the base to the top of a 'needs' pyramid, the suggested driving forces for human behaviour are:

5) Physiological: water, shelter, food, sleep etc.

4) Safety and security: health, stability etc.

3) Belonging: friendship, intimacy, family etc.

2) Esteem: respect, confidence, achievement etc.

1) Self actualisation: purpose, morality, creativity, spontaneity etc.

Rich and powerful people are perceived to be placed somewhere near the top of the pyramid. Attraction and relationships with these people becomes logical. A quick and lazy way for others to fulfil their own needs and wants when they are at the bottom of the hierarchy.

In other words, social climbers and gold diggers! lol.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by moooo_
Picture someone who doesn't have a job they can't be bothered , they don't have hobbies drive do anything
There not day depressed their just lazy you go to their house and its the 10th day they have been lying in bed with netflix wearing the same pjamas they have jam stains on them and a bag of bread lying on the floor that they have been eating instead of cooking.
When you get there they ask you of they can borrow money cos they need to pay rent.
Would you want to date this person?

Think of someone who's the opposite
Their a go-getter successful in their career they have goals and they make these happen , they are respected and they respect themselfs, they are capable of getting what they want and act like man not a lazy kid

Two opposite ends of the scale but who sounds more attractive?

But I wasn't comparing these men with unemployed bums. I'm saying that if you compare them to an avg guy with an avg job their ''status'' or ''social aura'' is incredibly important to women. If you had 2 twin brothers, ones was a delivery man and the other a surgeon, who'd get more attention? Now take 2 twin women and the men would value them exactly the same.

Here's a good example:

The university team showed women pictures of the same man sitting in two cars - a £70,000 silver Bentley Continental and a battered Ford Fiesta.

The women, who were aged between 21 to 40, picked the man sitting in the Bentley ahead of the same man in the Ford.

The researchers say the men tested in the same way are not impressed by whatever car a woman drives because they judge purely on her face and figure.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/5042640/Women-more-attracted-to-men-in-expensive-cars.html
Reply 7
dolla
Reply 8
Original post by uberteknik

Rich and powerful people are perceived to be placed somewhere near the top of the pyramid. Attraction and relationships with these people becomes logical. A quick and lazy way for others to fulfil their own needs and wants when they are at the bottom of the hierarchy.

In other words, social climbers and gold diggers! lol.

Except it only seems to pretty much only apply to women. If you look like Scarlet Jo the men won't care if you work at McD or are a cardiovascular surgeon. She'd find a rich husband in a millisecond. Now take a factory worker George Clooney and his appeal to women.....
Protection
stability
basically they've got their s**t together.
Original post by onegeargo
Except it only seems to pretty much only apply to women. If you look like Scarlet Jo the men won't care if you work and McD or are a cardiovascular surgeon. She'd find a rich husband in a millisecond. Now take a factory worker George Clooney and his appeal to women.....
There's quite a dollop of gender biased social conditioning in there too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNmBauXYzgc
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by uberteknik
There's quite a dollop of gender biased social conditioning in there too!

Yup, pilled on top of million of years of evolution and sexual dimorphism.
Reply 12
Original post by onegeargo
But I wasn't comparing these men with unemployed bums. I'm saying that if you compare them to an avg guy with an avg job their ''status'' or ''social aura'' is incredibly important to women. If you had 2 twin brothers, ones was a delivery man and the other a surgeon, who'd get more attention? Now take 2 twin women and the men would value them exactly the same.

Here's a good example:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/5042640/Women-more-attracted-to-men-in-expensive-cars.html

I know I took an extreme example to show exaggerate the difference

You want to be with people you admire(not in a putting them above you way) ever heard the saying "don't date someone you wouldn't want to be"
Fancy cars are exiting man looks more exiting
postman is boring man seems boring

People look at people like they look at products, stuff you want in your life cos they look good for whatever reason ,whatever looks fun, interesting,pretty, exiting ,shiney grabs our attention is more attractive
Its the way our brains work

I bet more kids would rather buy doctor Barbie than post woman barbie and they KNOW she isnt going to buy them a purse

Sometimes women like the idea a man is going to give them a more exiting life for whatever reason it isn't about money for most women just more about him on a personal level

Also sometimes as a society we are conditioned to seeing certain things as "better"
Whether that's brands, or products or jobs that people have sometimes its just that
Doctor is just better than postman
People want what's "better"
Like a louis vutton bag even if its knockoff there's always going to be people that would rather have one than another bag just to show off(most people don't think in that way tho I think)
(edited 9 years ago)
Its for their looks and their kissing ability

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by drowzee
£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ :biggrin:

Professors don't make much though and female students drool all over them if they have any looks at all. Not to mention women are much more obsessed with male doctors when other jobs like banking, finance etc make far more money, especially in the UK. Why? Doctor is probably the most respected profession there is. Most women care a lot more about a man's ''social aura'' than his net worth, even though that obv helps. Same reason footballers are much more popular with women than guys in other less popular sports who make as much money or even more. Society puts football at the top and women chase men at the top. Status trumps wealth. Of course, there are quite a few gold diggers who just care about money, but we're talking about the majority of women here.

Quick Reply