The Student Room Group

Psychology help needed ASAP - research methods

Okay, I have a practice exam paper to do and the question gives two lists of data for the different conditions of the study and at the bottom it has the mean average.

The questions says: Name one measure of dispersion that could be used to describe the data in Table 1. Explain why this would be a suitable measure.

I'm sooo confused! According to my sheet, the measures of dispersion are the range and standard deviation. The range is an average so I'm assuming the answer would be standard deviation as the average was already calculated by the mean?

But I don't really understand what I need to do. Do I need to work out the standard deviation or what??

Sorry :frown:
do it mean to represent graphically, because then correlation could be one? it shows the relationship between two variables in a graph.

without the data i can't really tell what type of answer it needs.
Reply 2
I don't think it's correlation as our teacher hasn't mentioned that as a measure of dispersion yet.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/qp-ms/AQA-PYA3-W-QP-JAN05.PDF

It's question F on the research methods section of that paper.
Vicky88
I don't think it's correlation as our teacher hasn't mentioned that as a measure of dispersion yet.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/qp-ms/AQA-PYA3-W-QP-JAN05.PDF

It's question F on the research methods section of that paper.

if it's between range and standard deviation i'd say the range, because it shows the difference between the number of anagrams solved correctly by the success group and the failure group. this will enable you to see how much of a difference there is between the success groups and failure groups.
it will highlight the difference in performance between motivated, and less motivated people. theoretically the failure group should be less motivated because they failed in the first week and this should be reflected in their results.

:smile: i think that's the sort of thing they want, but i'm not on AQA so i'm not sure what measures of dispersion are in their syllabus. good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending