The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Surrey living expenses

Hey all,
So im tryna get a good idea of the financial scene in Guildford/surrey. Could anyone please give me a rough idea of the weekly cost of living for a student, excluding rent/accommodation (i.e.: food, bus/travel fare, amenities, etc)
Thanks
All that really depends and is extremely varied. I know people who live off £15 a week on food, and some who spend £40... obviously if your the kind of person who likes takeaways you'll be spending a heck of a lot more. The fruit and veg stall is really cheap you can get tonnes of stuff for less than a tenner.
Travelling depends on how lazy you are, or where your living, and where you want to go. Like some people on manor park will take the bus instead of walking, and the bus is pretty cheap, been a while since I used it but was something like 80p return from there to stag hill. But you can also get a yearly pass for £130 or something like that (im sure its on the website somewhere). That can also take you into town as well.
Sports park is £210 for the year.
If you want internet connection (and in uni accom) then you need a resnet thing which is a one off payment of £15.
There is a cheap restaurant on campus to, you can get a decent meal for £3-4
I dont know about rubix or channies.
And I cant think of anything else, but that's my 5 cents worth, felt bad no one had replied to you :smile:
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
thankyou, helps a lot :smile:
Original post by cikku
Hey all,
So im tryna get a good idea of the financial scene in Guildford/surrey. Could anyone please give me a rough idea of the weekly cost of living for a student, excluding rent/accommodation (i.e.: food, bus/travel fare, amenities, etc)
Thanks

Hi :smile: This might give you an idea of living expenses in Surrey.

In terms of transport, you'll have access to a student bus pass - if you're planning on using the buses a lot when you're here it's fantastic as you can make some brilliant savings.
Hope this helps!
Living in Surrey is expensive. Cost of normal food and drink isn't that different from elsewhere, but going out you'll be paying nearly London rates.

Housing is the single biggest factor. Room costs on campus are very high for not very much but, to be honest, they are at most universities around the country. If your parents are able to pay, they probably will, because that's the price of seeing you in a protected environment for your first year. But it's the south-east, and rent off-campus is also extreme. A small room - and there's not much else in these parts - is likely to be £550 a month. You are in the same boat as Guildford's long-term residents.

Having said that, unless you are really, scrapingly hard up, you are best off making your decision on the quality of the university and dealing with the cost of living, which is always hard, when you get there. There are ways and means to deal with these things. Surrey is rightly considered an excellent university and has excellent facilities and you'd do well to go there if it's got a good rep in your subject.
Reply 5
Original post by Caramelapps
All that really depends and is extremely varied. I know people who live off £15 a week on food, and some who spend £40...

15 a week? That sounds unhealthily cheap for south-east England.

If i could live off 30/40 a week i would be delighted. And i'm not a big guy.
Reply 6
Well, you can cut the costs easily.

Instead of taking a bus, ride a bike. Instead of shopping at day time, do it in the evening when the 70% discounts on food appear and try to cook for yourself instead of going out everyday :smile:

Simple
Reply 7
Original post by sumiukas
Well, you can cut the costs easily.

Instead of taking a bus, ride a bike. Instead of shopping at day time, do it in the evening when the 70% discounts on food appear and try to cook for yourself instead of going out everyday :smile:

Simple

Thanks 😊
I was planning on doing all this anyway so looks like I'm on the right track.
Reply 8
Original post by cikku
Thanks 😊
I was planning on doing all this anyway so looks like I'm on the right track.

Good! :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending