The Student Room Group

Should women have their own separate olympics?

I just watched a video of a japanese boy running the 100m in 10.19 at the age of 16. The woman who won the adult competition in the London 2012 event did it in 10.75. For anyone who knows anything about running, that is a astronomical difference. Check any junior record of boys who are far from their full potential and they still crush the adult women, most times by unreal margins. Women rarely even come close to males who are still growing and going through puberty. And don't get me started on sports like football where the best female teams lose to local 15yo boys by 5 goals or more.

So what is the point of having females in the main olympics when they can't even compete with boys? This is why we have youth olympics, paralympics or special olympics... so that physically inferior people have a chance. I'm not saying women should be banned, but that everyone should go through the same trials to qualify. If literally ZERO women make it, then, you know...tough. The olympic motto is ''Citius, Altius, Fortius'' : race, gender or age are irrelevant. I only want to see the best people win.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't see your point women don't compete with men why should they have a separate Olympics? Can you also send me the link of that Japanese boy thanks
there used to be a female-only Olympics in Ancient Greece
Reply 3
All of the problems that you have described have already been solved by having men and women compete in different events. There are men's and women's versions of (I'm pretty sure) every event at the Olympics, and so they are never placed against each other. I'm honestly surprised that you don't know this already.

Besides, putting on another Olympics event just for women would be a waste of money. They should, and currently do, compete at the same Olympics, but in single-sex versions of the same events.
But women don't compete against guys?..
Reply 5
They already have different events, so what is the point?
This thread is golden
:lol: no
Completely pointless.
Reply 9
Original post by BenLynch9
But women don't compete against guys?..

they di in equestrian, but gender doesnt make much difference there:cool:
What could be the gain from this? :erm:
Original post by onegeargo
I just watched a video of a japanese boy running the 100m in 10.19 at the age of 16. The woman who won the adult competition in the London 2012 event did it in 10.75. For anyone who knows anything about running, that is a astronomical difference. Check any junior record of boys who are far from their full potential and they still crush the adult women, most times by unreal margins. Women rarely even come close to males who are still growing and going through puberty. And don't get me started on sports like football where the best female teams lose to local 15yo boys by 5 goals or more.

So what is the point of having females in the main olympics when they can't even compete with boys? This is why we have youth olympics, paralympics or special olympics... so that physically inferior people have a chance. I'm not saying women should be banned, but that everyone should go through the same trials to qualify. If literally ZERO women make it, then, you know...tough. The olympic motto is ''Citius, Altius, Fortius'' : race, gender or age are irrelevant. I only want to see the best people win.

Hello my friend,

Do you actually have any idea what you are talking about? Do you even play any sport yourself? I'm guessing you don't. You do realise that women don't compete against the men, there are many other attributes which women bring to a sport, physical appearances are not the only things that matter.

Surely there has to be a fair representation of our population today.

Finally, I play women's football myself and have played with girls who have represented their country. I know many of them who play in the boys team at school and are treated equally both with skill and technique.

Now that you have been fully educated, maybe you can now join the rest of us in the 21st century.

:smile: WELCOME
Yes we know women are not as good as sports as men...that's why they don't compete with men lol
Reply 13
Original post by al_94
I don't see your point women don't compete with men why should they have a separate Olympics? Can you also send me the link of that Japanese boy thanks

As for the other replies : men not competing directly against women is not the point. The ramifications of this go beyond sports. Women have their own maths olympiads, chess competitions and titles, poker tournaments, pool, darts, bridge, scrabble leagues and so on.. and most of these things aren't even physical. Yet men completely dominate every single one of them.

The point is this : we either accept that men and women are extremely different , both physiologically and psychologically (especially at the high end of the spectrum) and so we need different leagues for each gender or we go for the ''everything is a social construct'' theory and eliminate all barriers, making it a total meritocracy. Including women in the main olympics sends the message that they deserve to be there and gives them credibility that they simply do not deserve. How can you, as a female athlete, show up and call yourself an olympian when you know there's a 16 yo boy or a disabled man that could wipe the floor with you?
Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, the feminazis are coming.

As for the other replies : men not competing directly against women is not the point. The ramifications of this go beyond sports. Women have their own maths olympiads, chess competitions and titles, poker tournaments, pool, darts, bridge, scrabble leagues and so on.. and most of these things aren't even physical. Yet men completely dominate every single one of them.

The point is this : we either accept that men and women are extremely different , both physiologically and psychologically (especially at the high end of the spectrum) and so we need different leagues for each gender or we go for the ''everything is a social construct'' theory and eliminate all barriers, making it a total meritocracy. Including women in the main olympics sends the message that they deserve to be there and gives them credibility that they simply do not deserve. How can you, as a female athlete, show up and call yourself an olympian when you know there's a 16 yo boy or a disabled man that could wipe the floor with you?

Good luck finding yourself a girlfriend
Reply 16
Original post by grace_jessica
Hello my friend,

Do you actually have any idea what you are talking about? Do you even play any sport yourself? I'm guessing you don't. You do realise that women don't compete against the men, there are many other attributes which women bring to a sport, physical appearances are not the only things that matter.

Surely there has to be a fair representation of our population today.

Finally, I play women's football myself and have played with girls who have represented their country. I know many of them who play in the boys team at school and are treated equally both with skill and technique.

Now that you have been fully educated, maybe you can now join the rest of us in the 21st century.

:smile: WELCOME

Can you explain to me why the best female teams in the world lose by huge margins to junior boys' teams? And these aren't even the best boys teams, they are barely average by international standards!!!

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/uswnt-vs-u-17-usmnt.1939180/

http://www.thelocal.se/20130116/45646

In the swedish match the boys had to take one player off the field from the start and were not allowed to press beyond half pitch. And they still won 3-0. I can find more examples where even 14-15 yo local boys beat the finest female players in the world by 4 or 5 goals, would you like me to? How can you respect female players when they are so horribly awful? Have you ever watched a top female match? Everything is in slow motion and there is ZERO creativity. Although the goalkeepers are funny when they defend like they just had a stroke.
(edited 9 years ago)
Women already compete separately. There is no point i having an entirely separate Olympics for them as it all costs quite enough money as it is.

Maybe other sports could learn from the Olympics and the tennis and have women's matches played alongside men's like how in motor racing you go for the day and see all the support races.

However the problem is field sports cannot be played back-to-back as the groundsman needs to repair the damage caused. Plus field sports operate on privately owned clubs competing against each other at their home grounds rather than everyone coming to one event; this means not every club will have a women's team and so it would end up being uneven - not to mention that field sports work on a promotion relegation system so Doncaster may be playing Arsenal in the women's premier league but not the men's which would cause extra logistical problems

These are probably the reasons why field sports have not amalgamated the two; you have the problem arse backwards.

World cups however could easily be aligned.
(edited 9 years ago)
How can you respect female players when they are so horribly awful?

That is like saying why doesn't everyone support Manchester United. The answer is that people identify more with their ****ty local team. Similarly some women are likely to identify with women's football on the grounds of gender.

Plus you are an idiot if you respect someone because they always win or are the best in the world. You are supposed to respect people who work hard. If external factors like being a woman mean they will never be world-bestriding colossi that is neither here nor there in terms of how respectable their athleticism and professionalism is.
Olympic events aren't mixed, women are at no disadvantage. What are you getting at?

Quick Reply

Latest