The Student Room Group

Anyone else take an apprenticeship they didn't want?

I have a maintenance engineering apprenticeship. Will grant me a HNC and eventually land me on approx 40k per year in about 8 years time. However, I basically only took the apprenticeship cos I wanted to drop out of school and earn money. Big mistake.

Anybody else taken an apprenticeship just to earn some money but is now regretting it and wish they went to university instead, for both the social side and personal development?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If that's the only reason you want to go to uni, then you shouldn't go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lewif002
I have a maintenance engineering apprenticeship. Will grant me a HNC and eventually land me on approx 40k per year in about 8 years time. However, I basically only took the apprenticeship cos I wanted to drop out of school and earn money. Big mistake.

Anybody else taken an apprenticeship just to earn some money but is now regretting it and wish they went to university instead, for both the social side and personal development?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is it about Engineering that you do not like? What would you prefer? I'd say at least finish it off, because the experience and qualifications will be worth while.
Original post by Himynameskiefer
What is it about Engineering that you do not like? What would you prefer? I'd say at least finish it off, because the experience and qualifications will be worth while.

I really struggle with the social side, get home at 7pm and especially with only 2 people who work there over 50, I never socialize! I really do struggle with that I have to admit.
Original post by ben.anderson
I really struggle with the social side, get home at 7pm and especially with only 2 people who work there over 50, I never socialize! I really do struggle with that I have to admit.

Shifts must be a killer, but the pay after years of working your way up can be very good: 40K+ salary!

Original post by Gott
Can't you go to university once the 3 years or whatever apprentiship ends? Or at some time in the future

Yeah - I did an Apprenticeship for two years and am now at University (2nd Year).
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending