The Student Room Group

i want to transfer but i need some help!

hi, basically im first year student at queen mary studying mech eng. whilst this was my insurance choice last year, i am absolutely hating every aspect of life at queen mary.

okay so a little bit of background about me you guys should know: im also commuting at the moment and living with my parents which is hard init self because they are extremely religious when it comes to me and me, well id describe myself as an atheist right now. oh yea a closet one at that. nobody close to me knows about this like the only person ive told is my exam officer at my uni. my parents know im deviating but they still think im Muslim and haven't disowned me yet(my parents made it clear to me that i would be disowned if i stop believing in their ideology) any ways religion rant over. wait one more thing, cos they are so religious over me, ive never been on a night out. wait you say, youve never been on a night out?? yes dear people ive never been on any sort of night out of any sorts. i dont think ive ever been outside past 11.30 and im 19. i know. this **** is suicde worthy. with all this info i hope you'll agree with me that it is best for me to do what im going to explain in the next paragraph.

so without my parents knowledge i have applied to another 5 unis. so far i ve received offer from Manchester to study first year again, Surrey and leeds - second year offer for my course. so before anyone trolls let me explain this is a really big step in my life ive never been 5 ft away from my parents so moving out...woahh(i could be looking at getting disowned, but f em im gonna make the move regardless). know i have several questions for you kind people, hoping you have some advise for a soul.

okay first of all, i really like Manchester and i don't mind restarting all over again at all. secondly from what i understand surrey and leeds are also top notch for mech eng. as you can imagine im not the most social person around so although id love to start second year also do you think it will be hard for me to make friends because everyone will already be in their circles. i also want to experience uni to the fullest, living in dorms and stuff. so what would you do if you were in my position.

okay this question is a little technical, im getting student finance for my 3 years beng course at queen mary. and im gonna get paid one year student finance at the end of this academic year. so if i restarted my 3 year course at Manchester, first of all will student finance cover that, secondly if i then choose to switch to the meng course at Manchester which is another year will that be covered by student finance too?

also do i have to reapply for student finance from the beginning because as you know im not telling my parents till im packing up to move out, so the bit which your parents have to fill in what would i do about that?

okay i promise that it for now. please fill me with some comforting advice becasue im not in the most mentally stable places at the moment and would greatly appreciate it.

pleasehelpmee
Reply 1
Original post by pleasehelpmee
also do i have to reapply for student finance from the beginning because as you know im not telling my parents till im packing up to move out, so the bit which your parents have to fill in what would i do about that?

You have to reapply for Student Finance every year anyway if your loans are income-assessed. If you haven't already done so, you should reapply as soon as possible for funding starting in Sept 15, whether you end up staying put or transferring.

Your parents have to give their income details to Student Finance every year. If you miss that out, you will get the minimal non-income assessed maintenance loan (and no grant, if you currently get one), which is probably not going to cover a year's rent, let alone eating, bills and travel costs.
Original post by Klix88
You have to reapply for Student Finance every year anyway if your loans are income-assessed. If you haven't already done so, you should reapply as soon as possible for funding starting in Sept 15, whether you end up staying put or transferring.

Your parents have to give their income details to Student Finance every year. If you miss that out, you will get the minimal non-income assessed maintenance loan (and no grant, if you currently get one), which is probably not going to cover a year's rent, let alone eating, bills and travel costs.

thank for the information. i will fill in the form straight away. i will ask my parent for their income and just fill it in my self. hopefully it works. dont want to starve to death when i transfer next year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
thank for the information. i will fill in the form straight away. i will ask my parent for their income and just fill it in my self. hopefully it works. dont want to starve to death when i transfer next year.

Which is all very well for the forthcoming academic year, but what about the year(s) after that?
Original post by Klix88
Which is all very well for the forthcoming academic year, but what about the year(s) after that?

Ah darn it. Good point. My heads so messed up at the moment I can't even think properly.

Isn't there an option where you say you are not dependent on your parent and live off on your own. I have a part time job atm. Will probably look for work next year too if I do tranfer.
Reply 5
Isn't there an option where you say you are not dependent on your parent and live off on your own. I have a part time job atm. Will probably look for work next year too if I do tranfer.

t's not easy to do that if you're under 25. You need to have been financially self-sufficient for three years before the start of your course, earning at least £7500 a year as a guideline. Either that or you need to be able to prove that you are completely estranged from your parents, in which case you will need a third party such as a social worker or GP, to write a letter backing you up and agreeing that this is the case.
Ah darn it. Good point. My heads so messed up at the moment I can't even think properly. Isn't there an option where you say you are not dependent on your parent and live off on your own. I have a part time job atm. Will probably look for work next year too if I do tranfer.

yes there is. You had to jump through a few hoops to show student finance that you're estranged/disowned from your family and you want to be assessed independently. But it's possible. Best to ring them/tweet them x
Original post by Klix88
t's not easy to do that if you're under 25. You need to have been financially self-sufficient for three years before the start of your course, earning at least £7500 a year as a guideline. Either that or you need to be able to prove that you are completely estranged from your parents, in which case you will need a third party such as a social worker or GP, to write a letter backing you up and agreeing that this is the case.

I could get a letter from my exam officer at uni possibly. If that's not acceptable I will ask my GP. I have only worked for 5 months. Hope it all plans out well. I can't bare to spend another year at home. I think id sooner take my life. Pretending to be something I'm not is not easy as I first thought.
(edited 9 years ago)
I could get a letter from my exam officer at uni possibly. If that's not acceptable I will ask my GP. I have only worked for 5 months. Hope it all plans out well. I can't bare to spend another year at home. I think id sooner take my life. Pretending to be something I'm not is not easy as I first though.

please don't do that :-( get the ball rolling and get excited about transfering :smile:
Original post by SnooFnoo
yes there is. You had to jump through a few hoops to show student finance that you're estranged/disowned from your family and you want to be assessed independently. But it's possible. Best to ring them/tweet them x

Hey, thanks for your $0.02.

I'm not disowned yet and I don't ever want to be disowned. I just want to be myself and be a son however that's out of the equation due to my parents religious beliefs *sigh*. I will most probably be disowned if I move out so for the moment I will have no evidence to present to student finance. Thanks for advising me to tweet them since I was not aware they had twitter so I will do that now. Have a beauts day x
please don't do that :-( get the ball rolling and get excited about transfering :smile:

Hey, I got the ball rolling when I sent off my ucas application! :smile:

The day I accepted queen mary I was so depressed it was unreal. If this transfer is not successful then I'm not sure what I'll do. x
Hey, thanks for your $0.02. I'm not disowned yet and I don't ever want to be disowned. I just want to be myself and be a son however that's out of the equation due to my parents religious beliefs *sigh*. I will most probably be disowned if I move out so for the moment I will have no evidence to present to student finance. Thanks for advising me to tweet them since I was not aware they had twitter so I will do that now. Have a beauts day x

there has to be a way around this as im sure you're not the first person to having controlling parents. Deffo tweet student finance. I tend to write my question on A note (on iPhone) and then screen shot it and attach that as a a pic to the tweet and say "question in the attached pic" as 180 characters isn't much so doing it that way allows you to ask more complex questions.
there has to be a way around this as im sure you're not the first person to having controlling parents. Deffo tweet student finance. I tend to write my question on A note (on iPhone) and then screen shot it and attach that as a a pic to the tweet and say "question in the attached pic" as 180 characters isn't much so doing it that way allows you to ask more complex questions.

I really hope there is a way around this. I need them to follow me back so I can dm them. I don't want my close friends to know they might tell my family about it. I don't like lying to those so close to me but hey what can a soul do... Thanks for the advice!
Anybody wishing to answer the first question will be most welcome!
I really hope there is a way around this. I need them to follow me back so I can dm them. I don't want my close friends to know they might tell my family about it. I don't like lying to those so close to me but hey what can a soul do... Thanks for the advice!

ah okay! If they don't follow you back perhaps make a throw away account? That you can delete after you have your answers x
As for the first question. I would restart at Manchester. Fresh start, new life, new circle of friends etc
ah okay! If they don't follow you back perhaps make a throw away account? That you can delete after you have your answers x

Yesss! So smart! :smile:
As for the first question. I would restart at Manchester. Fresh start, new life, new circle of friends etc

My thoughts exactly. The experience will be so worth it! x
My thoughts exactly. The experience will be so worth it! x

indeed it will! All the best!

Yesss! So smart! :smile:

ha thanks!
Bump!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest