The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Uni of Sheffield Accommodation 2015 - Questions and Answers!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tildawatts
Guys, i am just applying for accommodation and can't decide whether to prioritize location or room type!! i want to be in endcliffe and am scared i'd be put in city if i prioritized room type!! what has everyone else done?

I applied for an ensuite in Endcliffe then prioritised location.

Sharing a bathroom isn't ideal and an ensuite is a lot nicer, no doubt about it, but it isn't as bad as you think, and for me that helped me decide. Being in a more social area means more to me than having my own bathroom.

Just think about it for 5 minutes and you'll know what you want to do. There are a large number of ensuite rooms in Endcliffe so from what I've been told it's quite likely you'll get one anyway (fingers crossed!)
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 401
Hi everyone! I am studying medicine in this upcoming September and I am currently looking for accommodation. I would like an en-suite and I don't mind sharing a kitchen with my flatmates. I would like to prepare my own meals. I bake during my free times too! My budget is £660 per month and I prefer somewhere which is not very noisy, but not too quiet too! Anyone knows which accommodation is near the medical school building? Any recommendations?
Reply 402
Hi there! I'm currently trying to decide whether I want to live in the City or at Ranmoor/Endcliffe and what caught my attention were the St. George's flats. Can someone give me more information about them? All I know is that they are in an old church that doubles as a lecture hall and that the majority of the students living there are around 20-21 years old. Can I apply for accommodation there if it's my first year? What do they look like on the inside? Thank you in advance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi all. I'm an incoming postgrad student and will be 27 when I start my course. I'm thinking of applying for halls for both cost-effectiveness and ease, but I've noticed that on the hall tours the shared bathrooms seem to have baths rather than showers-is that common in postgrad shared amenity accommodation? I've been in postgrad halls sharing a bathroom and kitchen before, so it's not that bit that bothers me-it just seems strange for modern halls to have baths instead! I'm also wondering whether or not I'll stick out like a sore thumb as an older student in university accommodation...
Reply 404
Hi everyone. Bit of an odd request but can anyone tell me if the showers are adjustable. I'm 6'1 so if you know the showers are too low and can't be adjusted, I'd appreciate a reply. Can anyone tell me the height of the showers? (looking at Endcliffe en-suite/deluxe en-suite) Thanks
Yeah just to add to this i am in Stevo hall as I was insurance student and got to choose my accom on results day. Sharing a bathroom ain't that bad you get a cleaner once a weak and most people go to the toilet/shower at different times anyway. In my block there is 2 showers and toilets and Stevo is definitely the liveliest of halls if you end up here you will have loads of fun and banter plus you get a catering card which you can use at loads of places, my favourite is the uni arms as the food is very nice there
Reply 406
Original post by TG360
Hi everyone. Bit of an odd request but can anyone tell me if the showers are adjustable. I'm 6'1 so if you know the showers are too low and can't be adjusted, I'd appreciate a reply. Can anyone tell me the height of the showers? (looking at Endcliffe en-suite/deluxe en-suite) Thanks

I'm just as tall and when I stayed with a friend in Endcliffe I had no problem showering.
Hi sorry this is such a random question but it's been bugging me for ages!

Any current students at Endcliffe can you tell me if you have under bed storage? And also does anyone know the colour schemes of rooms for the blocks of flats? Thanks so much haha!!
Original post by Lou2110
Hi sorry this is such a random question but it's been bugging me for ages!

Any current students at Endcliffe can you tell me if you have under bed storage? And also does anyone know the colour schemes of rooms for the blocks of flats? Thanks so much haha!!

Yeah, you will have underbed storage-at least I did when I was in Endcliffe (I was in a self catered ensuite room)

Colour schemes vary depending on the block, but most will be one of red, blue, yellow or green :smile:
Original post by super_kawaii
Yeah, you will have underbed storage-at least I did when I was in Endcliffe (I was in a self catered ensuite room)

Colour schemes vary depending on the block, but most will be one of red, blue, yellow or green :smile:

Ah thanks so much! So would I be able to fit plastic storage boxes etc under my bed?
Also another question - I read on the uni website that customer services in Endcliffe can't accept parcels on your behalf - was just wondering if I was to order something online would it get delivered into the mail boxes or how would I go about arranging delivery?

Thank you!!
Original post by Lou2110
Ah thanks so much! So would I be able to fit plastic storage boxes etc under my bed?
Also another question - I read on the uni website that customer services in Endcliffe can't accept parcels on your behalf - was just wondering if I was to order something online would it get delivered into the mail boxes or how would I go about arranging delivery?

Thank you!!

No, worries-you should be able to fit plastic storage boxes under your bed. A lot of people did that when I was a fresher

If you get a parcel and no one's in to receive it, you'll get a note from the postman in your flat post office, asking you to go to the nearby delivery office to pick it up, for which you'll be required to bring along photo ID :smile:
Original post by super_kawaii
No, worries-you should be able to fit plastic storage boxes under your bed. A lot of people did that when I was a fresher

If you get a parcel and no one's in to receive it, you'll get a note from the postman in your flat post office, asking you to go to the nearby delivery office to pick it up, for which you'll be required to bring along photo ID :smile:

Hi!

Could you explain the mailing system to me? Letters, parcels, where to pick up, and anything else you can think of. Is the delivery office related to the uni or its the UK's delivery office?

Thank you!
Original post by jackien1
Hi!

Could you explain the mailing system to me? Letters, parcels, where to pick up, and anything else you can think of. Is the delivery office related to the uni or its the UK's delivery office?

Thank you!

Every flat will have a letter box by the main door to the block and will be provided with a key to pick up anything from there. If they're small enough, letters will be deposited into this letterbox. If what's being delivered is too big and no one is in the flat to pick it up on the recipient's behalf (sometimes they ring other flats in the block to look after it if no one in the appropriate flat is in) then you will receive a note from Royal Mail pick up centre asking you to go to the Royal Mail Delivery Office to pick it up. For this you will be required to provide ID in order for you to receive the package there :smile: This isn't affiliated to the university in anyway, but is part of Royal Mail and is a service available in every settlement with a post office :smile:
Hello! I have recevied a conditional offer letter from the university of sheffield and most probably I will be starting my postgraduate taught course tbis september. I am very excited to start my studies in sheffield. But I am really confused about accommodation. Budget is my main concern. University accommodation will be cheaper or renting a room outside will be cheaper?
Also I have no problem in sharing my bathroom as the rent for shared bathroom is cheaper. I would like to know that the bathroom is shared among how many students?
All suggestions are welcomed :smile:
Thank you in advance!!
Original post by anusha9joshi
Hello! I have recevied a conditional offer letter from the university of sheffield and most probably I will be starting my postgraduate taught course tbis september. I am very excited to start my studies in sheffield. But I am really confused about accommodation. Budget is my main concern. University accommodation will be cheaper or renting a room outside will be cheaper?
Also I have no problem in sharing my bathroom as the rent for shared bathroom is cheaper. I would like to know that the bathroom is shared among how many students?
All suggestions are welcomed :smile:
Thank you in advance!!

I think renting outside will be cheaper. Shared amongst 6 if I'm not wrong.
I think renting outside will be cheaper. Shared amongst 6 if I'm not wrong.

sharing a bathroom among 6 people won't be a good idea I think 😜
Anyways I'll search for accommodation outside the university and lets see what happens. I hope for the best.
Hii - I have another couple of questions! 1. Are you allowed a mini fridge in your room/would you recommend one?
2. What's the nearest large supermarket to Endcliffe/Ranmoor and whereabouts is it? I remember driving through broomhill but only seeing a small looking store.
3. Where is the nearest Tesco store to accommodation or the uni? I currently work in my local tesco and they've said they will try and arrange a transfer to a Sheffield store for me but I have no idea if there are any in close proximity to accommodation or the uni!

Thanks so much everyone :smile:
Original post by Lou2110
Hii - I have another couple of questions! 1. Are you allowed a mini fridge in your room/would you recommend one?
2. What's the nearest large supermarket to Endcliffe/Ranmoor and whereabouts is it? I remember driving through broomhill but only seeing a small looking store.
3. Where is the nearest Tesco store to accommodation or the uni? I currently work in my local tesco and they've said they will try and arrange a transfer to a Sheffield store for me but I have no idea if there are any in close proximity to accommodation or the uni!

Thanks so much everyone :smile:

1. Small drinks chillers are allowed but nothing substantial. I wouldn't say one is necessary, however it probably depends on what you would want to use it for. There should be adequate fridge space in the kitchen (providing you don't have flatmates who hog it with alcohol).

2. There is no large supermarket near to Endcliffe/Ranmoor. In Broomhill you have a variety of the smaller local shops, with there being a Sainsbury's local, Tesco's local as well as Morrisons local store. They are about a 10 minutes walk away. There is a Tesco 'metro' store near the University buildings on West Street, however if you want to go to one of the bigger mainstream stores then you'll most likely want to get on a bus or tram if you don't like walking. I find the metro store fairly decent for most things though.

3. There are two stores in close proximity to Endcliffe/Ranmoor. One is the Tesco local at Broomhill, but there is another Tesco Esso Express that is further along Fulwood Road. Ranmoor is probably slat bang in the middle of them (i.e. both ~10 minutes walk). In terms of near the University, you are probably looking at the Tesco Metro store which is on West Street (near the Engineering buildings). There is a Tesco Superstore as well however that is a bit further out.
Original post by _Morsey_
1. Small drinks chillers are allowed but nothing substantial. I wouldn't say one is necessary, however it probably depends on what you would want to use it for. There should be adequate fridge space in the kitchen (providing you don't have flatmates who hog it with alcohol).

2. There is no large supermarket near to Endcliffe/Ranmoor.

Do people respect ownership of food? I once had kitchenmates that didn't give a flying **** about what I labelled and just ate whatever they wanted.

How far away from Endcliffe is the nearest big supermarket/ where do people in endcliffe usually get their groceries/ do people get their groceries delivered?
Do people respect ownership of food? I once had kitchenmates that didn't give a flying **** about what I labelled and just ate whatever they wanted.

That will depend entirely on who you are living with and what your agreements are surrounding shared food... If you agree that you are cool with sharing stuff like milk and sauce and butter, things like that, then some people may take advantage of it.

Most, if not all, people will be respectful of your stuff though and just ask if they want to use or borrow anything. If anyone asked me to borrow/use my stuff, whether it was food or equipment then I always let them... What's the worst that could happen?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending