The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Uni of Sheffield Accommodation 2015 - Questions and Answers!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fatcoin
Hi, if I put down on my application that I want Crewe Flats am I likely to get it? I have an unconditional offer. Also, I read earlier in the thread that it is further away from the uni than other places in Endcliffe but on the map it looks to be one of the closest. Approximately how long is the walk?

Crewe is about 5 minutes from Endcliffe towards the Uni, so probably a 15 minute walk to the University.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 121
Hey,

I’ve accepted an offer as an undergraduate and applied for a (single occupancy) studio flat in Ranmoor, and although it might be a bit late to be changing my mind about what I’ve applied for, I’m just comparing it to other accommodation options that are now becoming available for September. So I was just wondering:

- Is there a difference between the studio and ‘studio for individuals’? and if so, which was shown in the 360 tour?

- What exactly does the room include? Specifically the kitchen area; is there a proper oven/ grill? Looking at the 360 tour it just looks like hobs and a microwave…

- Is there a freezer? - Again, looking at the 360 it looks like its just a fridge...

- Are there any communal areas for people living in the 'studios for individuals'?

- How many studio flats are in the building and how is this laid out? (for example in the en-suite halls I looked round on the open day, each building had x amount of floors, each floor had y flats, each flat had z amount of rooms…)

- And following on from that, are they separate in any way form the en-suite accommodation? - or are they for example just one floor of an otherwise en-suite block?

- Finally, car parking: as I understand it I can pay for a parking permit; presumably there would be a cap on the amount of parking permits issued..? So, if I don't get a permit, firstly, when would I find out? And secondly, what are the alternatives?

I appreciate that there are a lot of questions here but any help would be appreciated!
Hi,

I'm an international student (EU) who has an unconditional offer for law. I applied for an en-suite apartment in Endcliffe. When am I going to find out where I'm staying and when do people usually move in? I
Original post by Katrina_P
Hi,

I'm an international student (EU) who has an unconditional offer for law. I applied for an en-suite apartment in Endcliffe. When am I going to find out where I'm staying and when do people usually move in? I

Hi! Firstly, Accommodation and Commercial Services (ACS, who are responsible for accommodation) usually allocate students with an unconditional offer, sometime around now. If you have not heard anything by the end of July, it would be a good idea to email ACS to enquire when you might find out.

Secondly, this depends on whether you will be doing "Orientation Week". At the beginning of each academic year, there is "Orientation Week" for international students, this year it is taking place from the 14th to the 18th September 2015. Orientation Week helps international students to get accustomed to life in the UK, before all of the domestic (UK) students arrive. Following Orientation Week is "Intro Week", which is when there will be lots of welcome meetings for all of the students in Sheffield (not just international students). Intro Week this year is 21st to the 26th September.

If you know you here for Orientation Week, then you should move to the UK, the weekend before (12th/13th September). If nobody has told you about Orientation Week, then you probably don't have to do it (not all international students have it), in which case you should move in the weekend before Intro Week (19th/20th September) - which is when everybody else at Sheffield will be moving in. If you have not had any communication from the University about when to arrive - you should do in the near future. They should be sending you lots of information about coming to University.

I hope this helps - if you have any more questions, then please don't hesitate to ask!
Original post by Rob107
Hey,

I’ve accepted an offer as an undergraduate and applied for a (single occupancy) studio flat in Ranmoor, and although it might be a bit late to be changing my mind about what I’ve applied for, I’m just comparing it to other accommodation options that are now becoming available for September. So I was just wondering:

- Is there a difference between the studio and ‘studio for individuals’? and if so, which was shown in the 360 tour?

- What exactly does the room include? Specifically the kitchen area; is there a proper oven/ grill? Looking at the 360 tour it just looks like hobs and a microwave…

- Is there a freezer? - Again, looking at the 360 it looks like its just a fridge...

- Are there any communal areas for people living in the 'studios for individuals'?

- How many studio flats are in the building and how is this laid out? (for example in the en-suite halls I looked round on the open day, each building had x amount of floors, each floor had y flats, each flat had z amount of rooms…)

- And following on from that, are they separate in any way form the en-suite accommodation? - or are they for example just one floor of an otherwise en-suite block?

- Finally, car parking: as I understand it I can pay for a parking permit; presumably there would be a cap on the amount of parking permits issued..? So, if I don't get a permit, firstly, when would I find out? And secondly, what are the alternatives?

I appreciate that there are a lot of questions here but any help would be appreciated!

Hi!

1) No there is no difference. All of the Studios at the University are located in Ranmoor, and they are all the same. They can all accommodate up to two students.

2) The room includes a bed, desk, office chairs, dining table and chairs, wardrobes, bathroom (shower, sink, toilet), and kitchen (fridge/freezer, sink, hobs, microwave oven, washer/dryer). To answer your question specifically, the microwave has a grill in it (I thought this was an odd concept as well, but apparently the heating action of the microwave in combination with the grill, cooks food like a conventional oven).

3) Yes there is - it is a freezer compartment at the top of the fridge (not huge - but ok for one person).

4) No, there are not. The block comprises of the stairwell, with corridors running off the stairwell. The studios lead straight out onto the corridor, so although you share a corridor space, there is no communal space in the flat or in the block. The main reason for this being is that the Studios are designed for people who would prefer to live a more 'individual' student life - they would like their own facilities, rather then sharing with randomly-allocated other students.

5 + 6) All of the studios are located in a single block, and there are no other room types in this building (it is called "Laddow Hall"). It is a single block, with two stairwells (at each end of the building), and the flats are labelled by letter (e.g. A and B are in stairwell one, C and D are in stairwell two). There are 72 studios in the building, spread across five floors (fewer on the ground floor due to the slope). I have attached a picture of Laddow Hall, beneath.

7) Yes you can buy a permit. You would arrange this once you have received an offer of accommodation. The permit is around £80 per year - you are not guaranteed a car parking space, however I have never seen the student car park full. I believe there is a maximum quantity that can be issued, however I don't think it has ever been reached. If, for whatever reason, you could not get a parking space, then you could park on a public road nearby. In summary, you should not have a problem getting a permit or parking your car. However, I would probably recommend against bringing a car to University, unless there is a very clear need for it. If you are bringing it because you live in the middle of nowhere (and thus a train is impractical), for example, then it is probably a good idea. If you are brining it just because you have a car and think it may be useful - it probably won't. Student parking on campus (unless you have a disability) is non-existent, and there are no public roads you can park on nearby (being next to the city centre). You can 'Pay and Display' but it is very expensive. Most places you will need to get to in Sheffield are within walking distance, and if they are not, the bus is probably more convenient than driving (Sheffield can be quite difficult to navigate if you are new to the city).

Hope this helps - if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask me!
Laddow.jpg
Hello,

I am looking for 3 to 4 months student accommodation in sheffield close to the university of sheffield ? any body can help ?
Hi guys!
I've just accepted an unconditional offrer for Postgraduate study at Sheffield (MA in Screen Translation). I am now going to apply for accomodation and I'd like to get some advice from you :smile:
I'd like to put City Campus (possibly en suite, but also deluxe would be ok) as my first choice because I'd prefer to live next to the city centre rather than in a Student village. This is because I have already had the fantastic experience of living in a Student village during my Erasmus year at Warwick (I'm Italian!) and although I found it amazing I now want to change!
I like going out and partying, but I also appreciate spending some time alone and I will be needing a lot of study time, so I believe City could be the right choice... The only thing that worries me a bit is that City is often described as TOO quiet and not too sociable... And I definitely want to make some friends (both international and British) at Sheffield!:biggrin:
So, what's your advice? And what about Ranmoor? Thank you in advance :biggrin:
Reply 128
Hello,

I'm postgraduate student, going to University of Sheffield with my partner this coming Sep 2015. I would like to apply for University accommodation for 2people. When I chose the option to apply under Family/Couple, I couldn’t choose preferredlocation (City or Endcliffe or Ranmoor). But if I apply as single student, I canonly choose 1 option for studio room @ Ranmoor. I wonder if it’s correct ??? Isstudio room able to accommodate 2 people and only available at Ranmoor? How isit different from Family/Couple accommodation? And is there anyway that I canindicate which location I prefer in Family/Couple accommodation? Which locationis the nearest to Information School?
Thank you!
Hi,

I just got offered my accommodation for September!

I've got Derwent apartment A4, does this mean I'll be on the fourth floor?
No where really seems to explain what the number and letter actually mean!

Thanks
Nice, got my accommodation offer today. C3 at the Rivelin Apartments in Endcliffe. Anyone else here in the same block?
Original post by Interzone Agent
Nice, got my accommodation offer today. C3 at the Rivelin Apartments in Endcliffe. Anyone else here in the same block?

Hi

I'm A3 Rivelin Apartments, Endcliffe. Did you get a 38 or 42 week contract. I had 38 which goes on to 11th June but not sure if that's long enough?
Original post by kittymitch
Hi

I'm A3 Rivelin Apartments, Endcliffe. Did you get a 38 or 42 week contract. I had 38 which goes on to 11th June but not sure if that's long enough?

Hey!

To be honest, I'm in the same situation. I'm pretty sure the length of the course is listed on UCAS track. If it's 42, we've got to email the uni. I think only postgrads have courses that long, though.
Original post by Interzone Agent
Hey!

To be honest, I'm in the same situation. I'm pretty sure the length of the course is listed on UCAS track. If it's 42, we've got to email the uni. I think only postgrads have courses that long, though.

Ok thanks, glad I'm not the only one ... but its typical that UCAS track is down so will have to get in touch tomorrow.
Original post by alicekatherine
Hi,

I just got offered my accommodation for September!

I've got Derwent apartment A4, does this mean I'll be on the fourth floor?
No where really seems to explain what the number and letter actually mean!

Thanks

Hey! You're in Derwent block, which is in Endcliffe. It's one of the largest halls of residence, and the largest single block in Endcliffe. It's in the middle of the village, opposite The Village Store, and just diagonal from The Edge (the 'hub' in the village).

You're in block A, which is the first block and has it's own stairwell (just the A block flats use the stairwell, whilst the other blocks share a stairwell, e.g. B and C blocks are on opposite sides of the stairwell).

A4 means you're in flat 4, which is on the third floor (A1 = ground, A2 = first floor, A3 = second, A4= third, A5 = fourth). There are 10 people in every flat in Derwent, so with five floors, that means 50 people in your block.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
Original post by sheffunistudent
Hey! You're in Derwent block, which is in Endcliffe. It's one of the largest halls of residence, and the largest single block in Endcliffe. It's in the middle of the village, opposite The Village Store, and just diagonal from The Edge (the 'hub' in the village).

You're in block A, which is the first block and has it's own stairwell (just the A block flats use the stairwell, whilst the other blocks share a stairwell, e.g. B and C blocks are on opposite sides of the stairwell).

A4 means you're in flat 4, which is on the third floor (A1 = ground, A2 = first floor, A3 = second, A4= third, A5 = fourth). There are 10 people in every flat in Derwent, so with five floors, that means 50 people in your block.

I'm in Apartment E4, Rivelin Apartments - Any information you can give about my Accommodation is very appreciated! Mine is a 38 week contact :biggrin:
Original post by sheffunistudent

Thank you!

Just one more, do you know what the chance is of being in a mixed gender flat? Because that's what I applied for, but I've seen quite a few people saying Derwent is mostly single gender?
Original post by Argent-chan
I'm in Apartment E4, Rivelin Apartments - Any information you can give about my Accommodation is very appreciated! Mine is a 38 week contact :biggrin:

Hi! Rivelin Hall (or apartments, as the Uni refers to them as), is located at the southern end of Endcliffe village, close to Jonas Court and Halifax Hall Hotel. It's a good location because it's quite quiet, but also very close to the centre of the village. It opened in 2008, and is made up of two buildings (each has several 'blocks' within - confusing, I know(!). The interior furnishings are like all of the halls that were constructed by the University from 2006 to 2010 - en-suite, self-catered, with plenty of storage in the bedrooms, large desks, modern wetroom, and the kitchen has plenty of cooking facilities and a living area (with table, chairs and sofas). Flat E4 means block E, flat 4 (which is on the third floor) - if I remember correctly, there are five floors (E1 - E5).

Hope this helps, if you want to know more about anything, please just ask!
Original post by alicekatherine
Thank you!

Just one more, do you know what the chance is of being in a mixed gender flat? Because that's what I applied for, but I've seen quite a few people saying Derwent is mostly single gender?

Hi! You have a very high change of being in a mixed gender flat (ignore people who says Derwent is single gender - that has never been the case and I can't see why it would be now). As a rule, everyone is placed in a mixed gender flat, unless they requested to be in a single sex flat. I lived in Howden in my first year, which is opposite Derwent - very similar in size, except Howden has 8 per flat, whilst Derwent has 10. In the whole of Howden Hall (280 students), there was only one all male flat and one all female flat. I'd therefore say that there's probably only going to be one all male and one all female flat in Derwent. These flats will be for the people who explicitly said they wanted a single gender flat. However, if they had 8 females (for example) who wanted to live in an all female flat, then they would fill the extra two places with people who wanted mixed (and presumably wouldn't have a problem living with all females, whereas someone who wanted all female would probably have a problem if they were told they had to live with some males).

So, to summarise: I think there will only be one male and one female in the whole of Derwent, and these will be filled with people who wanted single gender accommodation. Everyone else will be in mixed, although there may be a couple of people who wanted mixed but were put in single gender to fill up places (the chance of this is very, very low). Basically, you should be in a mixed flat. It might be a good idea to ring ACS and check if it is mixed - if you are in a single gender flat, they may be able to change it, but this needs to happen before others accept their contracts).

Hope this helps!
Reply 139
Hi, what are the Stanage Flats like? I've been offered that but it looks close to the road going into Endcliffe and I wonder if it'll be really noisy with people walking down after nights out? It looks like a small building too, so does that mean only 4-5 people to a flat?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending