The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Uni of Sheffield Accommodation 2015 - Questions and Answers!

Current UoS student eager to answer any questions you may have about applying for accommodation!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, how long does it take for you to find out where you have been allocated?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Hello there! i just recently got accepted in the university of Sheffield and is very excited to start studying!, but i am confused where should i stay in Sheffield. The main problem for me is the price, i prefer to stay in a studio where i can cook and do a lot of stuff with privacy but the price of the accommodation on campus for international students is 170pounds :s which is quite expensive, do you think it is a good idea for me to live on campus on the first year? (i'm taking foundation courses first) and i have found a decent apartment in Campo Lane, is it far from the university? and how about the transportation in city? as an overseas student i am very confused about finding the right accommodation XD Thank you in advance. Cheers!
Original post by Livvv_
Hi, how long does it take for you to find out where you have been allocated?

Hi! If you have an unconditional offer (i.e. gap year student) you will find out in June. If you have a conditional offer you will find out after results day in August (usually within two weeks). Hope this helps!
Original post by giuliorevinsia
Hello there! i just recently got accepted in the university of Sheffield and is very excited to start studying!, but i am confused where should i stay in Sheffield. The main problem for me is the price, i prefer to stay in a studio where i can cook and do a lot of stuff with privacy but the price of the accommodation on campus for international students is 170pounds :s which is quite expensive, do you think it is a good idea for me to live on campus on the first year? (i'm taking foundation courses first) and i have found a decent apartment in Campo Lane, is it far from the university? and how about the transportation in city? as an overseas student i am very confused about finding the right accommodation XD Thank you in advance. Cheers!

Hi! Congratulations on gaining your place at the University! I would definitely recommend living in University accommodation in your first year, because University accommodation is of a very high standard (very modern and well furnished accommodation), you will live with other University students (so it's easy to make friends), and you are very close to the University. Most students choose to live in en-suite accommodation, so you will have your own room (with bed, desk, wardrobe, drawers) and your own bathroom (with shower, toilet and washbasin). You share a kitchen and living area with other people (usually 6-10 in a flat). The kitchen has plenty of equipment for everyone (e.g. two ovens, two sinks, two big fridges), and you each have your own cupboard. I think it's a good idea to share a kitchen/living area with people, because you will get to know your flatmates and make friends really easily. Living in a flat with others is really sociable - I would definitely recommend it. If you wanted a studio, the University has these as well. You get your own room with kitchen in it.

University accommodation is in three 'student villages' - Endcliffe, Ranmoor and City. Endcliffe and Ranmoor are a 20 minute walk from the campus, in a really nice area in the west of Sheffield. It's very green and leafy, and there are lots of shops in Broomhill (the student area). City Village is next to the University campus, just a 5 minute walk away.

In summary, I'd definitely recommend University accommodation, I think you'll get the best accommodation and find it really easy to make new friends. If you did choose to live in private accommodation, Campo Lane is in the city centre - about 15 minutes walk from the University.

Public transportation in the city is excellent. Several major bus routes run between University accommodation, the University campus, and the city centre. Student bus fare is £1 for any journey, to anywhere in the city. Buses run every 5 minutes from the University campus, to either the city centre, or to Broomhill (for Endcliffe and Ranmoor Villages). Sheffield has a tram network (the Sheffield Supertram), which is good for transport between the University and train station.

Hope this helps! If you have any more questions, please doesn't hesitate to ask me! But in summary, I'd choose University accommodation.
Hey, I've just applied for an en-suite at Endcliffe. I was wondering if I should buy all my own cutlery, cooking utensils and pots and pans come September time? I'd like to have my own stuff but I am not sure on what to do, I know its a while away but still. Also when I applied it didn't ask me what size flat I would like to live in which worries me, do they ask this at a later stage? What size flat would you suggest is best?
Thanks! :smile:
Reply 6
Hi.I am an international postgrad student.Which accommodation would you suggest i apply for?ranmoor or city, as i don't want to be surrounded by majority of undergrads.
Original post by victoriasarah
Hey, I've just applied for an en-suite at Endcliffe. I was wondering if I should buy all my own cutlery, cooking utensils and pots and pans come September time? I'd like to have my own stuff but I am not sure on what to do, I know its a while away but still. Also when I applied it didn't ask me what size flat I would like to live in which worries me, do they ask this at a later stage? What size flat would you suggest is best?
Thanks! :smile:

Hi! Firstly, congratulations on receiving an offer - I'm sure you'll love Sheffield. The kitchens in self-catered flats include: 2x electric ovens, 2x electric hob, 2x fridge/freezer, 2x kettle, 2x toaster and 2x microwave. Cutlery, crockery, utensils and pots/pans are not included - so you bring your own. My advice would be to buy:

Cutlery - a set (they usually comes in 6 or 12) of knives, forks, spoons, etc.

Pans - two or three pans (of varying sizes), a frying pan, and oven baking trays.

Crockery - maybe two or three plates and bowls, a Pyrex glass bowl, a measuring jug.

Cooking utensils - a spatula, wooden spoon, sieve/collander, tin opener, corkscrew (if you like wine), peeler.

Glasses - lots of pint glasses. They get broken easily - so don't spend too much. Smaller glasses don't tend to get used (e.g. if your revising in your room, you want a large glass of squash to keep you going, not a small one that you have to keep refilling).

Everyone will bring their own kitchen cutlery/crockery/pans, and to start with everyone will use only their own. Usually, as you get to know each other better, you'll start to use each others. For example, you would just take any plate off the plate shelf, rather than going to your cupboard for your plate. It may seem like a lot of stuff if everyone brings their own, but in student flats a lot of stuff is in your room/dirty, so it's good to have lots of one thing! Also, stuff gets broken easily/goes missing - so don't buy anything too expensive. The one exception I'd say is pans - cheap pans tend to lose their handle/non-stick coating, so buy a decent brand. At the end of the year, you'll take it with you to your new accommodation. As you won't always live with the same people, it's good to mark all of your stuff. A lot of people buy similar/identical items (particularly a problem with IKEA stuff - everyone has IKEA stuff!), so just put a dot on the bottom with nail varnish. Also, people always seem to forget tea towels and oven gloves.

If you selected en-suite, self-catered accommodation at Endcliffe, that type of accommodation represents 75% of rooms in Endcliffe. They won't ask you what size of flat you would like, they just allocate you. Flats vary in size from 4 to 10, however the majority of flats are of 8 or 10. I personally would recommend a larger flat (e.g. 8 or 10), as I think that you will get to meet more people this way. If you really would like a smaller flat or a larger one, you could ring Accommodation and Commercial Services, and explain that you would like them to take that into account.

Hope this helps, and if you've got any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask! :biggrin:
Original post by kay.t
Hi.I am an international postgrad student.Which accommodation would you suggest i apply for?ranmoor or city, as i don't want to be surrounded by majority of undergrads.

Hi! Congratulations on your offer, I'm sure you'll enjoy life as a student here in Sheffield. I would recommend Ranmoor Village, although City Village is lovely, too. Ranmoor is in a really nice area, only a 20 minute walk to the University campus. The buildings are all very new (opened in 2009), and of a very high quality. You'll be in a building with only postgraduate students, so you don't need to worry about being surrounded by undergrads. The nearest shops are in Broomhill, a 10 minute walk away (between Ranmoor and the University), where there are lots of small shops, as well as a couple of supermarkets. City Village is next to the main University campus, so it's a much shorter distance to get to your lectures/meetings, etc. The main difference between Ranmoor and City is the location - Ranmoor is in a quiet, leafy suburb of the city, whereas City is much more central.

Hope this helps; if you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask!
Original post by sheffunistudent
Hi! Firstly, congratulations on receiving an offer - I'm sure you'll love Sheffield. The kitchens in self-catered flats include: 2x electric ovens, 2x electric hob, 2x fridge/freezer, 2x kettle, 2x toaster and 2x microwave. Cutlery, crockery, utensils and pots/pans are not included - so you bring your own. My advice would be to buy:

Cutlery - a set (they usually comes in 6 or 12) of knives, forks, spoons, etc.

Pans - two or three pans (of varying sizes), a frying pan, and oven baking trays.

Crockery - maybe two or three plates and bowls, a Pyrex glass bowl, a measuring jug.

Cooking utensils - a spatula, wooden spoon, sieve/collander, tin opener, corkscrew (if you like wine), peeler.

Glasses - lots of pint glasses. They get broken easily - so don't spend too much. Smaller glasses don't tend to get used (e.g. if your revising in your room, you want a large glass of squash to keep you going, not a small one that you have to keep refilling).

Everyone will bring their own kitchen cutlery/crockery/pans, and to start with everyone will use only their own. Usually, as you get to know each other better, you'll start to use each others. For example, you would just take any plate off the plate shelf, rather than going to your cupboard for your plate. It may seem like a lot of stuff if everyone brings their own, but in student flats a lot of stuff is in your room/dirty, so it's good to have lots of one thing! Also, stuff gets broken easily/goes missing - so don't buy anything too expensive. The one exception I'd say is pans - cheap pans tend to lose their handle/non-stick coating, so buy a decent brand. At the end of the year, you'll take it with you to your new accommodation. As you won't always live with the same people, it's good to mark all of your stuff. A lot of people buy similar/identical items (particularly a problem with IKEA stuff - everyone has IKEA stuff!), so just put a dot on the bottom with nail varnish. Also, people always seem to forget tea towels and oven gloves.

If you selected en-suite, self-catered accommodation at Endcliffe, that type of accommodation represents 75% of rooms in Endcliffe. They won't ask you what size of flat you would like, they just allocate you. Flats vary in size from 4 to 10, however the majority of flats are of 8 or 10. I personally would recommend a larger flat (e.g. 8 or 10), as I think that you will get to meet more people this way. If you really would like a smaller flat or a larger one, you could ring Accommodation and Commercial Services, and explain that you would like them to take that into account.

Hope this helps, and if you've got any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask! :biggrin:

Thankyou this really helped a lot! I'll take it all into concideation. I am pretty confident I will get the grades for my course. That in mind do you think it is a good idea to start picking up bits and bobs for uni now? Also do you know what we are not aloud to bring, I know some places dont allow posters on walls, fairy lights, mini fridges...
Thanks once again! ☺️
Thankyou this really helped a lot! I'll take it all into concideation. I am pretty confident I will get the grades for my course. That in mind do you think it is a good idea to start picking up bits and bobs for uni now? Also do you know what we are not aloud to bring, I know some places dont allow posters on walls, fairy lights, mini fridges...
Thanks once again! ☺️

No worries! :biggrin: Yeah I don't think there is any harm in doing that - there's a lot to do in the short time between results day and Intro Week, so anything that you can sort out now is good. Also, it can be quite expensive going to University, so buying stuff over a longer period can be a good idea. Aside from the obvious things your not allowed (pets, barbecues, fireworks, etc.), the only commonly encountered things you aren't allowed are fairy lights and chip pans/cookers. Both of these are because of fire regulations, and the rules are strictly enforced by means of room inspections. Officially, you're meant to use "White Tac" to put up posters, instead of Blu-Tac (apparently it doesn't do as much damage), but I don't think anyone adheres to this. In short, you won't have any problems putting posters up. Mini-fridges are fine, and several people have them.
Original post by sheffunistudent
No worries! :biggrin: Yeah I don't think there is any harm in doing that - there's a lot to do in the short time between results day and Intro Week, so anything that you can sort out now is good. Also, it can be quite expensive going to University, so buying stuff over a longer period can be a good idea. Aside from the obvious things your not allowed (pets, barbecues, fireworks, etc.), the only commonly encountered things you aren't allowed are fairy lights and chip pans/cookers. Both of these are because of fire regulations, and the rules are strictly enforced by means of room inspections. Officially, you're meant to use "White Tac" to put up posters, instead of Blu-Tac (apparently it doesn't do as much damage), but I don't think anyone adheres to this. In short, you won't have any problems putting posters up. Mini-fridges are fine, and several people have them.

Aw I'm upset about the no fairy lights, could I get around this by using battery operated ones? I was thinking about buying my posters at freshers week as I've heard they are sold dirt cheap. I will start buying now then. One last question sorry haha, will all my letters go to my student accomodation rarther then where I live at home now? And do we have like a pigeon hole for each flat for our letters?
Thankyou! ☺️
Hey, I am about to apply for my accomadation but I would prefer to stay at Endcliffe because I want to be where majority of the first years are. Hearing that its about 3000+ student there, I feel it would be a lively atomophere compared to the other accomadations. So I was wondering if there is anyway to guarantee that I get into endcliff accommodation. What should I put as my preferences.

Thanks in advance

PS. I interested in self catering/ en suit
Hi i was wondering if i was to apply to city how likely it would be to get Allen court, the other 2 do not seem quite as good, cheers.
Reply 14
Hi,

I'm trying to estimate which accommodation location and room type is best for me and my budget.

The Universities website states that living costs for undergraduates to be around: £7,380 from September to June.

Although this doesn't state which accommodation location or room type this is based on. My student finance loan would cover this although I am not confident it will be enough if I were in an ensuite at Endcliffe.

I am 21 so I will be a little older than most students and for this and financial reasons I am considering Endcliffe Vale and Broad Lane Court. However, the social aspect and student experience is of top priority to me for accommodation and my worry is that these certain halls may be a bit out of it in social terms.

Could you shed some light on this for me?

Thanks!
Aw I'm upset about the no fairy lights, could I get around this by using battery operated ones? I was thinking about buying my posters at freshers week as I've heard they are sold dirt cheap. I will start buying now then. One last question sorry haha, will all my letters go to my student accomodation rarther then where I live at home now? And do we have like a pigeon hole for each flat for our letters?
Thankyou! ☺️

Yeah you can use battery-operated fairy lights, and yes there is a poster sale in freshers week. Any letters from the University will be sent to your term-time address in halls. Some students also inform their bank of the change of address, some keep their home address for simplicity. Each flat has a mailbox by the entrance to each block, and their is a key in each flat for you to open it. :biggrin:
Original post by aaronsomething
Hey, I am about to apply for my accomadation but I would prefer to stay at Endcliffe because I want to be where majority of the first years are. Hearing that its about 3000+ student there, I feel it would be a lively atomophere compared to the other accomadations. So I was wondering if there is anyway to guarantee that I get into endcliff accommodation. What should I put as my preferences.

Thanks in advance

PS. I interested in self catering/ en suit

Hi! Firstly, congratulations on getting offered a place and choosing Sheffield - I'm sure you'll have a great time here. When you log onto the accommodation application system, you are asked to select:

Location - Endcliffe, Ranmoor or City

Room type - en-suite or shared bathroom

Catering - catered or self-catered

You would obviously select: Endcliffe, en-suite, self-catered. 75% of rooms in Endcliffe are of this type, so there is a good chance you will get this type of room. You will then be asked what is most important to you: Location, Room type, or Catering. You should select "Location". This will not guarantee you live in Endcliffe - but if, in the (unlikely) situation that you don't get your preferred type of room, accommodation staff will take into account the fact that you really want to live in Endcliffe, when finding you another room. In my opinion, if you did this, it is almost certain you would get into Endcliffe.

However, even if you did get a room in Ranmoor or City, they are both large villages (1100 and 1200 students), and there is a great atmosphere in these as well.

Make sure you get your application in early (applications are open now), and when you have done it, ring the Accommodation and Commercial Services to check that they have received it.
Original post by oJoeWilko
Hi i was wondering if i was to apply to city how likely it would be to get Allen court, the other 2 do not seem quite as good, cheers.

Hi! There's 4 halls in City Village: William Allen Court (989 students), Broad Lane Court (200), St George's Flats and Mappin Court.

St George's Flats and Mappin Court are used for postgraduate students/second and third years, so you would not be put here. Broad Lane Court is usually quite popular, so it is unlikely you would be put here.

If you apply to William Allen Court, there is a very good chance you will get a room there. It is the largest hall of residence at the University, and was one of the last halls to fill last September (2014). I can't say for definite, but I would say it is pretty certain you would get a room there.

Hope this helps!
Original post by Monyae
Hi,

I'm trying to estimate which accommodation location and room type is best for me and my budget.

The Universities website states that living costs for undergraduates to be around: £7,380 from September to June.

Although this doesn't state which accommodation location or room type this is based on. My student finance loan would cover this although I am not confident it will be enough if I were in an ensuite at Endcliffe.

I am 21 so I will be a little older than most students and for this and financial reasons I am considering Endcliffe Vale and Broad Lane Court. However, the social aspect and student experience is of top priority to me for accommodation and my worry is that these certain halls may be a bit out of it in social terms.

Could you shed some light on this for me?

Thanks!

Hi! Firstly, a quick summary of the rents for various room types 2015/16:

Endcliffe/en-suite/self-catered (various halls) --> £5,294.94

Endcliffe/shared bathroom/self-catered (Endcliffe Vale and Endcliffe Crescent) --> £4036.62

Endcliffe/shared bathroom/self-catered (Crewe) --> £4339.44

City/shared bathroom/self-catered (Broad Lane) --> £4180.68

The University's figure of £7,380 is meant as a guide to living costs (rent, food, going out, etc.), and not just rent itself. If you were assuming rent was £7,380, maybe you now have a bit more choice over the type of room you go for?

If you go for a self-catered room with shared bathroom, I would recommend choosing Endcliffe Village. There are 3 halls of residence that fit into this category: Endcliffe Vale, Endcliffe Crescent and Crewe. Endcliffe Vale and Crescent were both built in the early 1990s, although have been refurbished. Crewe opened in 1936, so it is a very traditional hall of residence. All of these halls are really sociable - you will find no difference in sociability between halls of residence. Broad Lane Court is also self-catered/shared bathroom and you would have equally as good time there, however the reason I'd choose Endcliffe over City, is that there is a bit more of a student 'buzz' in Endcliffe. To answer your question in short, all halls of residence at Sheffield are equally as sociable and halls don't have reputations like they do at other Universities. However, if you want more of a student 'buzz'/atmosphere, then choose Endcliffe.

If you did decide to go with en-suite, they are available at all three villages. Ranmoor is like a mini-Endcliffe, there is little difference apart form the size.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask me! I like answering questions :biggrin: (Pictured is Endcliffe Vale Flats)
Hi, I've applied for my accommodation and have gone for the ensuite at Endcliffe, I was just wondering whether you have to move out of the room at the end of each term because I know at some other unis you have to do so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending