The Student Room Group

Extenuating circumstances

Hello! :smile:

My mother has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer and I was wondering whether this will have effect on my requirements for the conditional offers that I have received. I contacted the universities about this, and they told me that they couldn't lower any offer but perhaps I would be admitted even if I would miss my requirements later this year. Has anyone had any similar experience or could someone tell me what my chances are if I don't meet my requirements? I'm trying my best, of course! :biggrin: Thank you!
Reply 1
If you've already sent off your application before the diagnosis, then I doubt it, although if you receive your results and don't make the cut, you might be able to call them and see if they have any places they can offer you.
Reply 2
Original post by Arkasia
If you've already sent off your application before the diagnosis, then I doubt it, although if you receive your results and don't make the cut, you might be able to call them and see if they have any places they can offer you.

What do you mean by ''any places''? A different course, then? Sorry if this is a silly question.
Reply 3
Original post by Abramovic
What do you mean by ''any places''? A different course, then? Sorry if this is a silly question.

Universities tend to give out more offers than they have places, as they are allowing for some offer holders to not get the grades required. Sometimes, the university sends out offers, and more people than expected fail to reach the requirements, which means the courses occasionally have free spaces available. Many universities automatically accept students who have offers, even if they didn't reach the necessary grades, many just enter clearing. If you are lucky, they might accept you even if you don't get the required grades.

Quick Reply

Latest