The Student Room Group

Summer Insight/No Spring Week

Hey

I'm currently in my first year at uni but was unsuccessful in securing a spring week. I have work experience/insight days in investment banking, insurance, commercial finance and have attended some skill sessions and general networking events. What advice can you give me in securing a summer internship for next year?

For those that didn't do spring weeks (and those that did too!) what did you do over the summer? or what can you recommend for me to do?

As you can tell, I'm slightly nervous and am just looking to boost up my CV as you can tell
Reply 1
I was in the same situation as you last year (no SWs) and I still managed to secure summer internship in S&T.

Your work experience seem diverse and quite relevant, so this summer just try to do something relevant to boost your CV, e.g. accountancy, finance ...

Last summer I did internship in small management consultancy which is not that relevant to S&T, but from every work experience you can get something to talk in your interviews.

As for general tips: apply as early as possible (august, september), start researching your area of interest in depth (helps with comp questions and interviews, learn any technicals necessary), practice numerical/logic test if you need to (assessmentday is a good website), build on your commercial awareness.

What uni are you?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by spoli21
I was in the same situation as you last year (no SWs) and I still managed to secure summer internship in S&T.

Your work experience seem diverse and quite relevant, so this summer just try to do something relevant to boost your CV, e.g. accountancy, finance ...

Last summer I did internship in small management consultancy which is not that relevant to S&T, but from every work experience you can get something to talk in your interviews.

As for general tips: apply as early as possible (august, september), start researching your area of interest in depth (helps with comp questions and interviews, learn any technicals necessary), practice numerical/logic test if you need to (assessmentday is a good website), build on your commercial awareness.

What uni are you?

I'm at Durham University :smile:

Thanks for the reassurance! How did you get the internship with the management consultancy firm? :smile: I'm definitely going to apply early, it's just the numerical tests that I ALWAYS fail :cry: :sad:

Quick Reply

Latest