The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham Postgrads - 2015/16

Hi Guys,

Thought I would start a thread for just us postgrads applicants and offer holders for Nottingham. Couldn't seem to find one!

I have applied and been offered a place on Politics and Contemporary History MA on the University Campus. I do intend to accept.

What accommodation are people applying for? I was thinking Melton Hall as it is only postgrads and is on campus but it is 15 mins walk away from where I would need to be.

I did my undergrad at another Uni in the UK but looking forward to the change!

Anyway would be nice to hear from any other postgrad hopefuls! I hope you are out there!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I applied for Cloister House, but I can't get any information about the quality of accommodation there. :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Acis
I applied for Cloister House, but I can't get any information about the quality of accommodation there. :frown:

Hi Acis!

So what are you studying then?

And for Cloister I can not find anything my self per say specifically on the quality of the accommodation but here is a link to a former thread on the benefits of Cloister House even if small - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=25342755&highlight=Cloister%20House

I am sure you have checked the University site about Cloister House! Only other thing I can recommend is a quick google image search which provides some pictures of the rooms.

I ended up applying for Melton Hall, it just felt right!
Original post by Fizzdog
Hi Guys,

Thought I would start a thread for just us postgrads applicants and offer holders for Nottingham. Couldn't seem to find one!

I have applied and been offered a place on Politics and Contemporary History MA on the University Campus. I do intend to accept.

What accommodation are people applying for? I was thinking Melton Hall as it is only postgrads and is on campus but it is 15 mins walk away from where I would need to be.

I did my undergrad at another Uni in the UK but looking forward to the change!

Anyway would be nice to hear from any other postgrad hopefuls! I hope you are out there!

Have an offer for MSc Corporate Strategy and Governance at the Business School. Will most accept the offer. Accomodation wise, if Raleigh Park has run out of places I will be looking at Melton Hall!
Reply 5
Original post by Fizzdog
Hi Acis!

So what are you studying then?

And for Cloister I can not find anything my self per say specifically on the quality of the accommodation but here is a link to a former thread on the benefits of Cloister House even if small - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=25342755&highlight=Cloister%20House

I am sure you have checked the University site about Cloister House! Only other thing I can recommend is a quick google image search which provides some pictures of the rooms.

I ended up applying for Melton Hall, it just felt right!

I will be studying Geography, I already accepted the offer.
Tnx for the link, but that is exactly the only link that I found which gave me some student insight about Cloister House... Actually, that is only insight about that hall I found, if you disregard the official information about rooms and fees.
Reply 6
Original post by totalpatzer
Have an offer for MSc Corporate Strategy and Governance at the Business School. Will most accept the offer. Accomodation wise, if Raleigh Park has run out of places I will be looking at Melton Hall!

Is Nottingham your first choice? and good to see there are other people out there!
Reply 7
Original post by Acis
I will be studying Geography, I already accepted the offer.
Tnx for the link, but that is exactly the only link that I found which gave me some student insight about Cloister House... Actually, that is only insight about that hall I found, if you disregard the official information about rooms and fees.

Yeah with regards to Melton Hall there was more information on the forums then Cloister!

I can see how annoying it is, only thing i could offer is try and contact the Postgrad officer for the Students Union who could possibly put you in contact with someone who has lived at Cloister House?
Original post by Fizzdog
Is Nottingham your first choice? and good to see there are other people out there!

As of now yes. And I am leaning more and more towards Nottingham as the days go by! I am an International Student, though.
Reply 9
Original post by totalpatzer
As of now yes. And I am leaning more and more towards Nottingham as the days go by! I am an International Student, though.

Good good! My main reason in going that my grandfather use to lecture there in the late 1970's in the chemical engineering department.

I understand it has a big international student intake in undergrad and postgrad.
Reply 10
I'm glad this forum was made!! I've accepted my offer and waiting a second reference for my offer to change to unconditional.
With regards to accommodation I have no idea where to go! As I'm going to struggle to fund it all myself I'm hoping I will get the standard room at Raleigh Park (cheapest), but I need to put more than one preference... The next cheapo halls I like the look of are Cloister House because there are 7 rooms per flat, so I'm hoping quite sociable. But I don't want to be completely isolated from the rest of the postgard activity....

Anyone else have any comments on the cheaper accommodation for next year? And has anyone looked around the halls?! What do people think? anyone recommend one halls over the other?

p.s I would love to be in Melton Hall but i simply cannot afford it!! Otherwise I would have applied for it already :-(
Reply 11
Original post by Kells90
I'm glad this forum was made!! I've accepted my offer and waiting a second reference for my offer to change to unconditional.
With regards to accommodation I have no idea where to go! As I'm going to struggle to fund it all myself I'm hoping I will get the standard room at Raleigh Park (cheapest), but I need to put more than one preference... The next cheapo halls I like the look of are Cloister House because there are 7 rooms per flat, so I'm hoping quite sociable. But I don't want to be completely isolated from the rest of the postgard activity....

Anyone else have any comments on the cheaper accommodation for next year? And has anyone looked around the halls?! What do people think? anyone recommend one halls over the other?

p.s I would love to be in Melton Hall but i simply cannot afford it!! Otherwise I would have applied for it already :-(

Haha so am I good job on the unconditional ! What is the course you will be studying?

I have been lucky with the funding part that my parents said they will help me out! Even though as you say Melton Hall is expensive though it was worth the trade off for hall style living and en suite haha

The only thing I can find out about the halls is previous threads, god I wish I had friends who studied there recently! Going to be in the dark for 6 months!
Reply 12
Yeah, cheers for starting the thread Fizzdog (Y). I'll be studying MSc Brain Imaging with Cognitive Neuroscience. The unconditional is only because I have my degree already so they know my degree classification.

My parents can't help me out so it's a solo mission all the way.
It would be really helpful if we could contact people already living in the halls to see what they say about it, and their experiences! I hope this thread grows and more people are able to comment.
Reply 13
Original post by Kells90
Yeah, cheers for starting the thread Fizzdog (Y). I'll be studying MSc Brain Imaging with Cognitive Neuroscience. The unconditional is only because I have my degree already so they know my degree classification.

My parents can't help me out so it's a solo mission all the way.
It would be really helpful if we could contact people already living in the halls to see what they say about it, and their experiences! I hope this thread grows and more people are able to comment.

Well gee that makes my masters sounds really easy compared to yours! The only thing I could find on facebook was this group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1456648694584274/?fref=ts

Which I tried to sneakily get in but they haven't accepted my request yet! Sure that is the best place to find out the info!
Reply 14
Anyone doing the MSC Economics?
Hey! I have just applied for MA Politics and Contemporary History too! Which uni do you come from? I'm from Uni of Birmingham
Reply 16
Original post by PoliticalLeft
Hey! I have just applied for MA Politics and Contemporary History too! Which uni do you come from? I'm from Uni of Birmingham

Well good luck! For me they only gave a decision when they received both references. Just about to finish at Hull Uni bit of a step up! Even though only went to Hull as they had internship scheme for working in Parliament with MPs! What are you studying at Birmingham?
Original post by Fizzdog
Well good luck! For me they only gave a decision when they received both references. Just about to finish at Hull Uni bit of a step up! Even though only went to Hull as they had internship scheme for working in Parliament with MPs! What are you studying at Birmingham?

That's so cool. Did you study with Prof. Norton? Which MP did you work with?
I'm studying history :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by PoliticalLeft
That's so cool. Did you study with Prof. Norton? Which MP did you work with?
I'm studying history :smile:

I did actually! He was even one of my references! He is a very very clever man! I worked with Adam Holloway a conservative. But I was happy to work with any party really not overly party political! What made you choose the course/Nottingham ?
I've met him once or twice. He's really lovely!
I really liked Nottingham at UG but decided against it at the last minute. I really like the course because its not too far away from history, but I get to do some politics which I've always wanted to do.
You? Where do you come from?
Is there anyway of doing a PM/ IM on here? I'#m new and have no idea! Haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending