The Student Room Group

Media studies survives the Ofqual cull!

News story extract here

Spoiler

Do you agree with the subjects that have been axed?
Reply 1
Original post by She-Ra
News story extract here

Spoiler

Do you agree with the subjects that have been axed?

NO! I have a GCSE and an AS in applied science. Does that mean that I have wasted three years of my life?

In my opinion, a lot of those subjects were not worth dropping. Communications and culture and human biology should all stay as qualifications. All of these subjects are taught at respected universities at degree level. (Leeds does an excellent media and communications course) Human biology especially is a very strange one to scrap. A lot of medics prefer the human side of bio to the plat side of bio and would have been much more successful if they could only study the human side.

Furthermore I don't understand why Gove and Morgan want to turn education back into the 1950s. We live in one of the most competitive, globalized societies, in which we will fight an international society for jobs. We need every single young person in this country to achieve his or her potential whether it be through academia or employment. I personally think we should adopt the Finish education system, to create a more creative, innovative workforce and stop standardized testing which is making sure that those who memorize the mark scheme can succeed, rather than testing who is the most hard working, intelligent and inventive, which is what we need our young people to be in our society.

/rant

Please don't bother quoting me back as I wont reply.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Good, those subjects should be made available, but not at the cost of funding other, more important qualifications. Call it intellectual elitism, but I refuse to believe that 'expressive arts' is anywhere near as important as STEM or the main humanities. Indeed, many of those subjects are components in others (expressive arts is probably covered in Drama), so there is little need to create a whole new qualification which is easier.
I am surprised that Expressive Arts is being dropped as a GCSE subject, however i only have experience of the syllabus 20 years ago , where it was fairly rigourous and required level 2 work in easch of the areas contributing to each module to get a good mark.

ditto Home Ec - again unless the syllabuses have been mucked aobut so much they are no longer fit for purpose.

Quick Reply