The Student Room Group

Uni Decisions

Hey I'm hoping for some advice on what Uni you'd recommend out of the ones I'm thinking of applying to. I am choosing the economics route, with the aspirations of one day being taken on by an investment banking firm. Although a job in front office investment banking/stock market is the dream, I would happily accept a job in the middle/back office side of things as well.
The Universities in question are:
Economics or Money Banking and Finance at Birmingham
Economics at Nottingham
Investment and Financial Risk Management at CASS
Economics at Surrey
Economics at Exeter
Any ideas or recommendations of where I should go, considering what I would like to do as a career?
I'm also a lower year sixth, and I understand that experience is key, so if anyone knows of any work experience available during the summer hols at any investment banks, I would greatly appreciate the information.
Any help/opinions would be greatly thanked.
Original post by Tyler1409
Hey I'm hoping for some advice on what Uni you'd recommend out of the ones I'm thinking of applying to. I am choosing the economics route, with the aspirations of one day being taken on by an investment banking firm. Although a job in front office investment banking/stock market is the dream, I would happily accept a job in the middle/back office side of things as well.
The Universities in question are:
Economics or Money Banking and Finance at Birmingham
Economics at Nottingham
Investment and Financial Risk Management at CASS
Economics at Surrey
Economics at Exeter
Any ideas or recommendations of where I should go, considering what I would like to do as a career?
I'm also a lower year sixth, and I understand that experience is key, so if anyone knows of any work experience available during the summer hols at any investment banks, I would greatly appreciate the information.
Any help/opinions would be greatly thanked.

Deffo Econ at Notts.

8th most targeted for IB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Ok, thank you I was thinking of going there but wasn't sure if the place was accepted highly by IB.
Original post by Tyler1409
Ok, thank you I was thinking of going there but wasn't sure if the place was accepted highly by IB.

Out of your choices, yes, it definitely is. Plus, its Econ department is just below (5th - 6th I believe) the likes of Oxbridge, LSE and Warwick.

Don't be fooled by people on here saying it isn't - I did a pretty in depth scour (I was bored :tongue:) of LinkedIn. The result, very much, resonated with the rankings + their finance soc is sponsored by the usual suspects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Ok thankyou for the advice
Reply 5
Original post by Princepieman
Deffo Econ at Notts.

8th most targeted for IB

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could I have a link to the website where you screenshot that link from, i know it's from Linkedin but I can't find the specific page

Thanks
Original post by Anon606
Could I have a link to the website where you screenshot that link from, i know it's from Linkedin but I can't find the specific page

Thanks

https://www.linkedin.com/edu/rankings/gb/undergraduate-investment-banking?trk=edu-rankings-category-link-m

It'll only show you the top 5 or so if you aren't signed into LinkedIn.
Reply 7
Just curious what do you think would be more targeted or more preferable for job prospects Leeds or Loughborough (Both BSC Economics), I know there not in the top 15 but I've heard Loughborough would be better for IB
Original post by Anon606
Just curious what do you think would be more targeted or more preferable for job prospects Leeds or Loughborough (Both BSC Economics), I know there not in the top 15 but I've heard Loughborough would be better for IB

Meh, there really isn't much in it to be honest. Either way it boils down to how well you can present yourself as a candidate. If I were to humour you, I would give Loughborough the ever slightest lead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Princepieman
Meh, there really isn't much in it to be honest. Either way it boils down to how well you can present yourself as a candidate. If I were to humour you, I would give Loughborough the ever slightest lead.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for that still think I'm going to put Leeds first if there's not too much in it, like the University a lot more, and hoping to do a masters somewhere else straight after, somewhere higher up if I do well (2.1 or first) so I'm hoping the job prospects will be better after that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending