The Student Room Group

RAF- Should I bother with Pilot?

It is a long lasting dream of time to be a pilot in the Royal Air Force but I'm not sure if I should bother give my eyesight, if I cannot make pilot eyesight requirements do I at least qualify for WSO?

Right:
Sph: a swiggly line?
Cyl:-0.25
Axis: 100

Left:
Sph:+0.25
Cyl:-1.00
Axis:75

I know there are millions of threads like these, I apologise. :frown:
Original post by Djmax121
It is a long lasting dream of time to be a pilot in the Royal Air Force but I'm not sure if I should bother give my eyesight, if I cannot make pilot eyesight requirements do I at least qualify for WSO?

Right:
Sph: a swiggly line?
Cyl:-0.25
Axis: 100

Left:
Sph:+0.25
Cyl:-1.00
Axis:75

I know there are millions of threads like these, I apologise. :frown:

I don't know what the eyesight requirements are for pilot, but I can guarantee that you won't get in for WSO because the job doesn't exist any more! :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by Schleigg
I don't know what the eyesight requirements are for pilot, but I can guarantee that you won't get in for WSO because the job doesn't exist any more! :wink:

Where did ya get that, it's still available in the RAF Careers website
Reply 3
After filling in an application, you get invited to a P2 Presentation. One of the requirements for this presentation is you fill out a medical pro forma, which includes getting an optician to sign your sight details. While you are in the presentation they'll check your eligibility.

So if you apply and they turn you down, worst you've had to do is fill in a few pieces of paperwork.
Where did ya get that, it's still available in the RAF Careers website

I don't know where 'ya' are looking but I don't see it...

I work in an opticians, those eyes are almost perfect with one or two tiny tiny issues. I do not know what the fail number is for the RAF for pilot, but if they fail you for your eyes I would be VERY surprised as it is a very insignificant prescription. ring up your AFCO and ask what the fail numbers are dude. But once again I'd be shocked at such a small prescription failing you.
If you aren't sure whether you should bother to apply, you probably shouldn't. There are hundreds if not thousands who'd love or have loved to have had the opportunity to bother applying who for various reasons couldn't.
Reply 7
Original post by Fritz Bollinger
If you aren't sure whether you should bother to apply, you probably shouldn't. There are hundreds if not thousands who'd love or have loved to have had the opportunity to bother applying who for various reasons couldn't.

You misunderstand, if my eyesight is not good enough there is no point in me applying is there? If I know for sure that I won't be let in there's no need to try, that way I can prepare for a different branch such as weapom system operator and not waste my time.
You misunderstand, if my eyesight is not good enough there is no point in me applying is there? If I know for sure that I won't be let in there's no need to try, that way I can prepare for a different branch such as weapom system operator and not waste my time.

You'll never know unless you try.

Hoping that some random people on the Internet will give you advice instead of the section makers in the raf would indicate that you lack what's needed.

Try the RAF regiment Instead. They're always on the lookout for indecisive people.
Reply 9
Original post by MatureStudent36
You'll never know unless you try.

Hoping that some random people on the Internet will give you advice instead of the section makers in the raf would indicate that you lack what's needed.

Try the RAF regiment Instead. They're always on the lookout for indecisive people.

But there's always a cut-off point, and me knowing little about eyesight I thought that someone might say:"That eyesight is not good enough, you cannot be a pilot" or "That's almost perfect eyesight, you should try and apply for pilot"
I like to be realistic and logical, as much as I want to be a pilot if I know that there is something wrong with me that I cannot change (eg eyesight) that doesn't allow be to be a pilot I should move on and do some research on another branch.
But there's always a cut-off point, and me knowing little about eyesight I thought that someone might say:"That eyesight is not good enough, you cannot be a pilot" or "That's almost perfect eyesight, you should try and apply for pilot"
I like to be realistic and logical, as much as I want to be a pilot if I know that there is something wrong with me that I cannot change (eg eyesight) that doesn't allow be to be a pilot I should move on and do some research on another branch.

Or by asking for the non RaF official line, you run the bigee risk of being U oven incorrect info.
You should if your only regret not trying for it. What have u got to lose

Posted from TSR Mobile

As has been said many many many times in this forum, nobody is qualified to say that except the medical board at OASC.

You can ask all you want on here, but no-one can give you the answer. Apply. It's the only way to find out.

You miss my points. There is a point in applying - you let the medics confirm that you are definitely medically unfit, or are not... I thought I'd could be out of the bracket medically on a couple of counts, OASC confirmed I wasn't.

My previous post was more a general observation as to the tone - I wouldn't go to the AFCO saying you're not sure whether you should bother applying... First impressions and all that... :wink:
Hi, I'm 15/female and I want to become a fast jet pilot, there is nothing else I want to do in life. I am still young and only just started searching to find out some more information about the career. Unfortunately I don't know if I have a chance as 2 years ago I broke my left leg really badly and now I have 2 screws in my bone. I am perfectly fine and I can normally move it (sometimes it hurts). Can I still become a pilot?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kate40501
Hi, I'm 15/female and I want to become a fast jet pilot, there is nothing else I want to do in life. I am still young and only just started searching to find out some more information about the career. Unfortunately I don't know if I have a chance as 2 years ago I broke my left leg really badly and now I have 2 screws in my bone. I am perfectly fine and I can normally move it (sometimes it hurts). Can I still become a pilot?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Kate,

That's a tricky one and it's not an answer that anyone on this forum would be able to give you. I would recommend you simply apply and let the people who have the official say make the decision. :smile:

Good luck with your application!
Original post by Kate40501

Posted from TSR Mobile

Again, the sure fire way to know is to apply. At your age there's no reason not to go to the AFCO, or if they visit your school, speak to the RAF Officer from the AFCO (I was on my local AFCOs books at 13!). The most recent medical list online States 12 months from fractures or "bone and joint operations".

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/media/1652/medical-conditions-that-preclude-entry.pdf
As Ex Army, I have worked with the RAF a fair bit and it's the definitely the service for those with a "brain", you'll feel more intellectually challenged and respected.
They regard "Pilot" as their cream of the crop job, and they invest insane amount of money into training you up, I believe it can cost between £50,000 to £100,000 worth of training before a civilian is able to Captain a Commercial Airliner.

You can have 30/30 vision with infra-red upgrades, but their is a vigorous selection process, you've got to show 100% commitment, you need to want it more than you want to breath! Basically be the perfect candidate for everything ever! I was privileged to fly in a Cockpit of an C17 and the Pilots were top guys, SO intelligent and yet had some mad banter too.
Reply 18
Original post by Shellshocker93
As Ex Army, I have worked with the RAF a fair bit and it's the definitely the service for those with a "brain", you'll feel more intellectually challenged and respected.
They regard "Pilot" as their cream of the crop job, and they invest insane amount of money into training you up, I believe it can cost between £50,000 to £100,000 worth of training before a civilian is able to Captain a Commercial Airliner.

You can have 30/30 vision with infra-red upgrades, but their is a vigorous selection process, you've got to show 100% commitment, you need to want it more than you want to breath! Basically be the perfect candidate for everything ever! I was privileged to fly in a Cockpit of an C17 and the Pilots were top guys, SO intelligent and yet had some mad banter too.

Very cool! However please explain what you mean about 30/30 vision with infa red upgrades.
Very cool! However please explain what you mean about 30/30 vision with infa red upgrades.

I'm exaggerating haha. Basically I'm saying you can have amazing eyesight, but if your personal quality, education background and persona, doesn't match up to their standard, they'll dismiss you the same as a person who wears Jam Jar glasses

Quick Reply

Latest